Why isn't the metric system the only system taught?

There is only one modern defintion: 10^9. This is what is meant here. Anyone claiming 10^12 == a billion is a historian or a troll.

Your meaning was clear enough. I was reflecting on how “billion” is a still a source of confusion to this day in the UK. So much so that the word is often avoided. It wasn’t that long ago that they changed the definition of a billion :).

And if you don't see how english is bad - Just ask anyone that knows a phonetic language to start a spelling bee contest in that language, see the reaction you get.
From what I've heard, most languages don't even have spelling bees. There'd be no point.

Another English-ism that really messes w/ non-native speakers but we don't even think about is the correct order of adjectives...

From what I've heard, most languages don't even have spelling bees. There'd be no point.

Another English-ism that really messes w/ non-native speakers but we don't even think about is the correct order of adjectives...

That might be a peculiarity of US culture though. As I'm not sure they have spelling bees in the UK. Just like child beauty pageants are also some American peculiarity. You guys seem to love pageants and contests.

Too many mistakes to be made converting to the metric system. 2.54cm which they then just round down to 25mm. Just call it 1 inch. Just call it a 10ft highway shoulder.. you make those clowns out in the field think... you'll get a 3ft shoulder on mistake

One could use the same logic many here have articulated to ask why don't we all speak English (1.39 Billion Speakers) instead of Chinese (1.15 Billion Speakers)?

When in Rome do as the Romans do...
Different. Math and measurements should use the most practical form that can be extrapolated easily. Metric system does this, Imperial system does not. Language is not the same discussion.

Reactions: jon
Different. Math and measurements should use the most practical form that can be extrapolated easily. Metric system does this, Imperial system does not. Language is not the same discussion.
The Imperial system worked ok when we put a man on the moon...

Back
Top Bottom