Why isn't the metric system the only system taught?

Also, I can only speak for myself, but I can speculate I am not alone in the USA as far as guitar players go. I always use "metric" measurements when adjusting my action on my strats. But, yes I do say the scale is 25.5", not 647.7 mm.(used a small app I keep on y desktop for many years)

One could use the same logic many here have articulated to ask why don't we all speak English (1.39 Billion Speakers) instead of Chinese (1.15 Billion Speakers)?

When in Rome do as the Romans do...

One could use the same logic many here have articulated to ask why don't we all speak English (1.39 Billion Speakers) instead of Chinese (1.15 Billion Speakers)?

When in Rome do as the Romans do...
Not quite an apt comparison.

p7rri0trqbpy.jpg

The thing with Imperial measurements is that none of them logically fit with another. That they make sense is because we grew up with it from a young age. Otherwise, there's no obvious relationship between teaspoons, tablespoons, ounces, cups, quarts, gallons... ounces, pounds, and tons, or inches, feet, yards, and miles. Whereas in metric, everything is multiples of 10/100/1000. This makes so much more sense, except for those of us who didn't learn it this way to start. Whatever one learned when they were young makes perfect sense to them, because that's the first way they learned to frame the world.

It's really like a language, where things that a native speaker takes for granted in their language make no sense in others. For example, English nouns don't have gender, so for us to learn another language takes additional effort and many people think it's stupid that other languages do. And the adjective goes after the noun in French? They think it's just as stupid that we put adjectives first, and that our nouns don't have gender.

There's nothing inherently wrong with any of these things - but as humans we generally look at anything that isn't "our" way as inferior.

The US "officially" adopted the metric system back in 1975, but conversion was never mandatory. The legislation had no teeth, so most things never actually converted. We're hung in limbo like the UK using a weird combination of both, but we favor more towards the imperial system for everyday things. Take a look at product labels. Weights and volumes for packaging are almost always shown in both, but nutritional information labels are always in metric (grams of fat, carbs etc.). It's kind of everywhere, we just don't pay that much attention to it.

Reminds me of that joke/meme: There are two kinds of countries...those who use the metric system and those who have been to the moon.

I think Imperial stays sticky as there is much history, shortcuts and quaint identifiers like 2x4s and the others mentioned above. Metric is logical and Imperial is arbitrary. Then there are things like the time domain of months/yr, hours/day, minutes/hour, secs/min that are expressed in multiples of 12, but we divide the second into units of 10. We learn music notation in quarters/eights/sixteenths etc. So maybe 4s and 12s relate to the natural world more closely?

But you can do any conversion you need direct from the Google search box so we have that. Which is nice.

The thing with Imperial measurements is...That they make sense is because we grew up with it from a young age.

Speak for yourself :). Growing up with it from a young age, it still doesn't make sense to me. I still have to do the math to figure out if my 3/8" socket is bigger or smaller than my 5/16" :).

I still have to do the math to figure out if my 3/8" socket is bigger or smaller than my 5/16" :).

Yes, 6/16” is bigger than 5/16”....or 3/8” is bigger than 2.5/8”. ;)

Used to confuse the hell out of me too, until I started doing lots of carpentry work and spent a lot of time with a measuring tape.

350MM vs the rest of the population of the world. So 7.5 billion - 350MM = ~7.2 billion people.

Don't me started on how there are two different definitions of a billion. That confusion leads to errors that are never small :).

Then there are things like the time domain of months/yr, hours/day, minutes/hour, secs/min that are expressed in multiples of 12, but we divide the second into units of 10.
There really should be 13 months with 4 weeks each, and a holiday every year or two holidays on a leap year.

We could name the 13th month 'Never', thus negating the old 'Twelfth of Never' song, and the phrase, 'How about NEVER? Does NEVER work for you?'....

Don't me started on how there are two different definitions of a billion. That confusion leads to errors that are never small :).
There is only one modern defintion: 10^9. This is what is meant here. Anyone claiming 10^12 == a billion is a historian or a troll.

So now I'll need to change the RAM in my computer to metric and get an FC10, change my computer screen from 32" to the metric eq

It's interesting though all the old imperial measurements we learnt at school like:
Inch
Foot
Yard
Rod
Furlong
Mile
League
Chain
Bushell
Fathom
Cable
Nautical mile

English is like that spaghetti code you can't refactor or like javascript - you know it's bad but there's a lot of people using it so yo keep using it... the same as the Imperial system - oh hey there's that word Imperial... the main reason why English is spread in a lot of countries - the British kept busy :)

And if you don't see how english is bad - Just ask anyone that knows a phonetic language to start a spelling bee contest in that language, see the reaction you get.

English is like that spaghetti code you can't refactor or like javascript - you know it's bad but there's a lot of people using it so yo keep using it... the same as the Imperial system - oh hey there's that word Imperial... the main reason why English is spread in a lot of countries - the British kept busy :)

And if you don't see how english is bad - Just ask anyone that knows a phonetic language to start a spelling bee contest in that language, see the reaction you get.
English mugged or was mugged by every language it ever came into contact with. :)

Back
Top Bottom