Why is there such a difference between Axe II mk1 and mk2?

The only difference between MK I and MK II are some vents in the chassis, larger fan and an Ethercon jack instead of an Ethernet jack. Otherwise the hardware is identical. I can see the XL possibly sounding a bit better and the XL+ sounding even better than the XL but there should be negligible difference between a Mark I and a Mark II.

Is it the upgraded display in the XL+ that makes it sound better?

Is it the upgraded display in the XL+ that makes it sound better?

Of course it is a part of the system. Better display, better power efficiency, more power can go to the black magic box called "FPGA", more transistors and resistors involved, better tone. That's obvious, bro!

Of course it is a part of the system. Better display, better power efficiency, more power can go to the black magic box called "FPGA", more transistors and resistors involved, better tone. That's obvious, bro!

Right...what was I thinking?

That in conjunction with a magnetic field and the load, the flux capacitor uses the hierarchical structure of the cosmos as a timer. The trilamination of the tiny spheres with selected metals and their subjection to a magnetic field and current (sustained by the load) destabilizes the orderliness of the proton, the heavier atom and the "tissue" of individual layers of metal. The matter then seeks to re-establish itself in the fractal set. :encouragement:

Could slightly lower noise be confused with a fuller tone, more amp like response, and better overall playing "feel" ?
Yes. Take a noisy, unshielded guitar, shield the cavities, andwatch the noise drop down to reveal more of your tone.

But the XL has so little noise that it's inaudible when mixed with the noise from your guitar, so in this case, it wouldn't make a difference.

The XL+ has slightly less noise. Some might consider this as "better".

How come? We were told that the only difference is the display. I guess that the display has nothing to do with the noise so obviously there must be something else, too.
I'm not dicking around, just interested.

there was already a freak-out about people dumping their XL units JUST to get the better screen of the XL+. imagine if they were also told that there is slightly less noise as well...

there was already a freak-out about people dumping their XL units JUST to get the better screen of the XL+. imagine if they were also told that there is slightly less noise as well...

Good point, but Fractal only benefits from new unit sells imo, so I don't see why we shouldn't be told.

just when we thought the axe was better than a real amp now they take the noise away! every one knows a real tube amp has to make noise!

Record a dry track and then reamp it through all the Axe-Fx II's, so they are all getting the same input signal. Also, try recording with cab sims on and off. I know the cab sim off recording will sound horrible but it would verify if the issue is caused by the cab sim.
I'm not aware of a bad batch but things like that have been know to happen with many products.
As I suggested above, you should make recordings of all the Axe-Fx II's, so they can all be compared and it will remove any issues that could be caused by the amp in room or volume differences. Please share the recordings with the forum, so we can analyze them.
Also, Do they sound different through headphones?

Hey GotMetalBoy I really appreciate your advices to sort this problem out and I will follow your instructions for recording. I think we could do that for one week.
I have a question about recording a dry signal. What is better, using random one of the axe 2 units or record dry signal with audio interface with DI box or perhaps does anyone know where to find a good guitar dry signal over the internet for reamp test?

I didn't listen myself through headphones but other friend has noticed a difference.

I forgot to mention this. I can live with more thin and less fuller sound but I really like the better feel to play with less effort on my friend’s mk2.

Hey GotMetalBoy I really appreciate your advices to sort this problem out and I will follow your instructions for recording. I think we could do that for one week.
I have a question about recording a dry signal. What is better, using random one of the axe 2 units or record dry signal with audio interface with DI box or perhaps does anyone know where to find a good guitar dry signal over the internet for reamp test?

I didn't listen myself through headphones but other friend has noticed a difference.

I forgot to mention this. I can live with more thin and less fuller sound but I really like the better feel to play with less effort on my friend’s mk2.

The easiest way to record the dry tracks would be to use the Axe-Fx II as your audio interface through USB. In your DAW, you will see the Axe-Fx II has Left & Right Dry inputs and Processed inputs, so you will want to record the left dry input bc you don't need to record the left and right inputs. When you reamp, you will want to record the left and right processed inputs.

If you want to be extra thorough, after using the same dry track to reamp all 3 Axe-Fx II's and recording the processed signal with and without the cab sims enabled, If you hear a difference in the recordings, check to see if the recordings are different in volume or if the waves look very different.

I'd also try recording the Dry inputs on each of the Axe-Fx II's to compare the input signal volumes. Doing all these recordings will help you verify differences between input and output volumes, with and without cab sims and you could also check all the recordings through a spectrum analyzer to see if there are any big frequency differences.

Also, don't get discouraged by some peoples sarcastic or off topic replies on here. There are people here that are willing to help and all the others are just for entertainment haha.

Also, don't get discouraged by some peoples sarcastic or off topic replies on here. There are people here that are willing to help and all the others are just for entertainment haha.

Well I think nearly every mkI owner would like an official explanation for the issue of why the "feel" is different.

They run the exact same firmware, and "feel" should be related to software, not hardware, so either the OP is incorrect, or, there is some fundamental change Fractal never told us about hidden in the firmware that seems to make the mkI version only act like g2.5, while the mkII can fully utilize the new g3 models.

I could give 2 craps about noise floors, half my LP's have hot p90's for gods sake so I have plenty of noise, but things like amp like response, dynamic and feel....those are biggies....

If I wanted something without realistic dynamics and feel, I'd of stuck with various other modelers.

I bought an Axe because it comes 99.9% to the tone and feel of my tube amps.

I haven't upgraded to an XL because I was told by Fractal what the differences are, and that they were just things like storage slots, fan mounting, FASlink etc.

In every FW18 thread Cliff said that all Axe II models can run G3/Firmware 18

If a mkI version can't fully take advantage of it, as the OP seems to suggest, I would like Cliff to explain what is missing, and I would guess we will see a lot of mkI's up for sale...

Then again, I've owned both, and played a friends XL plenty, and notice no difference from my current mkI. Cliff also has repeatedly stated there are no differences and I have no reason not to trust him, and he obviously has a well earned reputation.

So it either comes down to one guy on an internet forum who claims the mkI doesn't feel the same is correct, or everyone else is correct and they are the same......

Either way, I'd like to know the truth

I don't know why no one else seems interested in this.

OP says the mkII has better feel and is more fun to play thank the mkI...... whats up with this ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom