Why is there such a difference between Axe II mk1 and mk2?

What Outputs are you using?

I think the MK II and newer include the Output 2 Hiss Mod. I had to send my MK I back to FAS to have them install the Output 2 Hiss Mod but I didn't notice a tone change. It just didn't hiss anymore when using the 4CM with a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100.

For studio monitors we used balanced xlr on output1 and for matrix we used unbalanced output 1. Our mk1 units are not hiss moded.

I'm using Output 1 XLR L/R -> Monitor Controller -> either: vintage Yamaha SS power amp -> NS10's or Atomic CLR powered wedges

My Mark I is not modded either. But I've never done 4CM. I do however use Output 2 now and again.

This makes zero sense.

The differences between the MK1 and MKII are vent holes, a 80mm fan, and a ethercon jack. They both load and run the exact same firmware.

Even if there was some minor hardware changes, it would result in a slightly, and I mean slightly, different noise floor and such.

The OP is claiming differences in things like the mkII being "fuller", "more amp like" and better "feel". I'm sorry but no amount of digital hardware changes is going to affect "feel".

An Axe Ultra with an early FW is going to have different feel than a II, and two different II's running different FW, such as 18 on one, and FW9 on the other are going to feel different, but otherwise I'm sorry but I just don't buy it.

I've owned both the mkII and the mkI and they sound identical (because they are identical save for a few slight hardware differences)

The only difference between MK I and MK II are some vents in the chassis, larger fan and an Ethercon jack instead of an Ethernet jack. Otherwise the hardware is identical. I can see the XL possibly sounding a bit better and the XL+ sounding even better than the XL but there should be negligible difference between a Mark I and a Mark II.

Yes, I have found this too. Didn't want to say anything earlier because I thought it was a secret club type deal, but now cliff has confirmed.. Definitely go for an XL+ guys!

I have the first AXE FXII and the MARK II and there is no difference that I can tell.

Two different players will sound dramatically different given identical equipment. Also, the power of suggestion is tremendous. Need to do a double-blind test.

Yes, I have found this too. Didn't want to say anything earlier because I thought it was a secret club type deal, but now cliff has confirmed.. Definitely go for an XL+ guys!

Slightly lower noise floor etc, due to "secret sauce v3" and such, but does the XL "feel" more "amp like" or "fuller" than a MKii ? No

Do a blind comparison by having someone (not you) record a dry track then reamp the track through both boxes, listen to the recording and see if you can identify your box.

For studio monitors we used balanced xlr on output1 and for matrix we used unbalanced output 1. Our mk1 units are not hiss moded.

When you did the tests, was any of the gear moved or was all left in the same spot?

Where the Axe-Fx II played thru the same speakers or did you have 2 separate rigs side by side?

Were all the Axe-Fx II stacked on top of each other?

Where were the Axe-Fx II located? On a Table or on top of Speaker cab? There's a known issue that big vibrations from cabs can cause internal feedback that can change the tone.

Is there a difference in sound when recorded thru USB?

What are the serial numbers of all the Axe-Fx II? Any chance there could have been a bad batch?

Have you compared 2 MK I's and 2 MK II's? Any chance the MK II is the one not working correctly if 2 MK I's sound the same?

haha.. so I did humanity a service then..

Honestly, I thought that Cliffs post was an April Fools prank, and just piggy backed off it. Then I checked later what day it actually was in the US. Hope I haven't broken any international April fools treaty... Please don't launch a class action!

When you did the tests, was any of the gear moved or was all left in the same spot?
All left in same spot

Where the Axe-Fx II played thru the same speakers or did you have 2 separate rigs side by side?
Same speakers

Were all the Axe-Fx II stacked on top of each other?
No

Where were the Axe-Fx II located? On a Table or on top of Speaker cab? There's a known issue that big vibrations from cabs can cause internal feedback that can change the tone.
One on the table, other two in racks located separated in room

Not tried yet. We will try again along with a new FW when comes out.

What are the serial numbers of all the Axe-Fx II? Any chance there could have been a bad batch?
All units are purchased from G66. First mk1 jan 2012, second mk1 4 months later, Mk2 I think is 1 year old. Where can I find more about bad batch?

Have you compared 2 MK I's and 2 MK II's?
While comparing two Mk1, the difference is really negligible. I dont know anyone else that has mk2 to test

Any chance the MK II is the one not working correctly if 2 MK I's sound the same?
I really dont know

The only difference between MK I and MK II are some vents in the chassis, larger fan and an Ethercon jack instead of an Ethernet jack. Otherwise the hardware is identical. I can see the XL possibly sounding a bit better and the XL+ sounding even better than the XL but there should be negligible difference between a Mark I and a Mark II.

Why the XL+ sounding even better than the XL ? Remember there is just a display difference ...

Back in the Ultra days a friend of mine bought a second Ultra as a backup on eBay (his original Ultra was bought on G66). We experienced that the one intended as backup sounded decidedly better (more harmonic overtones, more in the room, less blankety, etc.). Same FW, same presets, same monitoring, everything virtually the same.
He then bought a third Ultra on eBay and it sounded identical to the second one. So in the end he sold his original one and kept the other two. We didn't know what to make of it either - it was quite puzzling. Of course logic says that it can't be but testing told us otherwise...
Maybe that's the proof that Einstein was correct by saying that everything that deviates from our logical approaches is called coincidence... ;-)

Not tried yet. We will try again along with a new FW when comes out.

Record a dry track and then reamp it through all the Axe-Fx II's, so they are all getting the same input signal. Also, try recording with cab sims on and off. I know the cab sim off recording will sound horrible but it would verify if the issue is caused by the cab sim.

All units are purchased from G66. First mk1 jan 2012, second mk1 4 months later, Mk2 I think is 1 year old. Where can I find more about bad batch?

I'm not aware of a bad batch but things like that have been know to happen with many products.

Have you compared 2 MK I's and 2 MK II's?
While comparing two Mk1, the difference is really negligible. I dont know anyone else that has mk2 to test

Any chance the MK II is the one not working correctly if 2 MK I's sound the same?
I really dont know

As I suggested above, you should make recordings of all the Axe-Fx II's, so they can all be compared and it will remove any issues that could be caused by the amp in room or volume differences. Please share the recordings with the forum, so we can analyze them.

Also, Do they sound different through headphones?

Back
Top Bottom