Why is there no MIDI block in the AX8?

Tplesko

Inspired
As there is in the AxeIII? That is one of my favorite new features....can this be added? I’d love that...

As there is in the AxeIII? That is one of my favorite new features....can this be added? I’d love that...
The FX8 was made to work tandem with amps, and some amps use midi for channel changing.

The AX8 is primarily designed to replace amps, so features meant for amp control aren’t necessarily included.

The FX8 was made to work tandem with amps, and some amps use midi for channel changing.

The AX8 is primarily designed to replace amps, so features meant for amp control aren’t necessarily included.
Yes but this is nothing to do with amps as there are plenty of other devices that can be controlled by midi. You could make your same argument for the axeiii and the midi block is included and very helpful to control other devices. For me that’s a tc helicon vocal processor and Roland guitar synth. Controlling it via midi is wonderful. Given ax8 has a built in foot controller it’s perfect to control other midi.

Yes but this is nothing to do with amps as there are plenty of other devices that can be controlled by midi. You could make your same argument for the axeiii and the midi block is included and very helpful to control other devices. For me that’s a tc helicon vocal processor and Roland guitar synth. Controlling it via midi is wonderful. Given ax8 has a built in foot controller it’s perfect to control other midi.
Of course there are other things that use midi.

But there was a MIDI block specifically added to the FX8 for amp control. So it kinda does have to do with amps. That’s the reason.

Of course there are other things that use midi.

But there was a MIDI block specifically added to the FX8 for amp control. So it kinda does have to do with amps. That’s the reason.
Then why is it included with the AxeIII?

I don't think that's a valid reason, there's plenty of people out there using the ax8 with external fx pedals like h9 or strymons which would absolutely love a MIDI block (or at least the ability to also send CC on scene changes).

Anyway for the OP, there's an old wish thread in the wish section, but I doubt it will receive some attention at this point.
Let's just hope it will be included in the next hardware iteration of the ax8

Last edited:
Couldn’t you ask this same question about any of the countless things the latest flagship product, costing over twice as much, has that an older product doesn’t have ?

“Why doesn’t the Ax8 have _____ ? The III does, and as an Ax8 owner I think it would be nice to have it too....”

Any brand needs to make their product line have different features, price points, etc. it’s what helps sell new products.

I’m not saying the feature is a bad thing to want, I actually bought my III in part for the ability to have midi controls sent on a per scene basis to external midi gear. It’s a cool feature, and one I was willing to pay for.

If the Ax8, or II, did everything the III does, then why would I of bought the III?

Ever own a Sony digital camera ? They could add functions to their current models with simple firmware, but no, they come out with a new model once a year, that now has that requested ability to repurpose a given button etc, but they expect those who want it to want it enough to pay for it. It’s called business, and the only way they are going to keep selling new stuff is to find reasons to get folks to upgrade from their old stuff.

I'm not an AXEIII user/owner, but I'm a former FX8 owner. What would a MIDI block do for the AX8 that can't already be done with the MIDI out on the AX8? If it's about amp channel switching, or external device preset changing, that can already be done on a per scene, or per preset basis via the AX8. For example, I know someone using their AX8 to do channel switching on their Mesa Triple Crown combo. What would you use it for beyond program changes (which it currently CAN do)?

I'm not an AXEIII user/owner, but I'm a former FX8 owner. What would a MIDI block do for the AX8 that can't already be done with the MIDI out on the AX8? If it's about amp channel switching, or external device preset changing, that can already be done on a per scene, or per preset basis via the AX8. For example, I know someone using their AX8 to do channel switching on their Mesa Triple Crown combo. What would you use it for beyond program changes (which it currently CAN do)?
Not everybody just needs to switch channels on an amp.
I personally would control some features of my Antares ATG equipped guitars, turn on/off vocal effects on XR18 mixer and start samples and sequences on a computer.
To do all this I need to be able, on scene changes, to send various messages (both Pcs and CCs) on different midi channels. Currently I use an external midi controller connected to all this devices, adding this function to the ax8 would save me a lot of pedalboard space and time I waste in setting the controller.

Well, I agree this seems like it ought to be a simple enough thing to add to the AX8, but I can also see why it wasn't a high priority. Most people using external devices capable of receiving MIDI CC commands connect expression pedals or switches directly to the device for that. Allocating the relatively few AX8 controls for use with external devices via MIDI runs somewhat counter intuitive to the initial all in one solution the AX8 set out to be.

Then why is it included with the AxeIII?
The Axe3 is the flagship and has many things that precious gear doesn’t have.

All I’m saying is that the FX8 came out first and is an amp companion. I’m not saying people don’t use MIDI gear with the AX8. I also don’t design the gear. But a reason was desired and I gave it.

Instead of arguing about it, make a wish thread, which I see you’ve already done.

Last edited:
Perhaps this is what I am missing...I don't see anything about how to - on a per preset and per scene basis - send a PC message. That would solve my problem. Do you know how to do this or can point me in the direction? The manual doesn't reference this capability, that I can see.

Couldn’t you ask this same question about any of the countless things the latest flagship product, costing over twice as much, has that an older product doesn’t have ?

“Why doesn’t the Ax8 have _____ ? The III does, and as an Ax8 owner I think it would be nice to have it too....”

Any brand needs to make their product line have different features, price points, etc. it’s what helps sell new products.

I’m not saying the feature is a bad thing to want, I actually bought my III in part for the ability to have midi controls sent on a per scene basis to external midi gear. It’s a cool feature, and one I was willing to pay for.

If the Ax8, or II, did everything the III does, then why would I of bought the III?

Ever own a Sony digital camera ? They could add functions to their current models with simple firmware, but no, they come out with a new model once a year, that now has that requested ability to repurpose a given button etc, but they expect those who want it to want it enough to pay for it. It’s called business, and the only way they are going to keep selling new stuff is to find reasons to get folks to upgrade from their old stuff.
I get it, I understand software product mgmt quite well in fact. I also own the AxeIII, as mentioned in my wish list post I use my AX8 for certain gigs and would like to use my same external equipment, hence the post and comment. Maybe I should downgrade to the FX8, which has the midi block capability? Don't mean to be snarky, but this is a silly omission, hence my post (and the dozens on the wish list who feel Similiarly). Both the higher end unit (AxeIII) and the lower end unit (FX8) have it and we feel it would be a very nice and appropriate addition to the AX8. Feels like a very fair request,

I get it, I understand software product mgmt quite well in fact. I also own the AxeIII, as mentioned in my wish list post I use my AX8 for certain gigs and would like to use my same external equipment, hence the post and comment. Maybe I should downgrade to the FX8, which has the midi block capability? Don't mean to be snarky, but this is a silly omission, hence my post (and the dozens on the wish list who feel Similiarly). Both the higher end unit (AxeIII) and the lower end unit (FX8) have it and we feel it would be a very nice and appropriate addition to the AX8. Feels like a very fair request,
the FX8 isn't a lower end product. it just doesn't have amp modeling.

Perhaps this is what I am missing...I don't see anything about how to - on a per preset and per scene basis - send a PC message. That would solve my problem. Do you know how to do this or can point me in the direction? The manual doesn't reference this capability, that I can see.

It's in the scenes section:

TO SET THE MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE MESSAGE FOR A SCENE...

Every AX8 Scene can send one MIDI Program Change Message (“PC”) on any channel. You can use this feature to change presets on a connected Axe-FX, FX8, or any other MIDI device.

1. 1 . Load the desired Scene.

2. 2 . Press PAGE 3x to change from the Footswitch “FS” page to the “MIDI” page.

3. 3 . NAV to MIDI PC and use “A“ to select the desired MIDI PC by its number (0–127, or “OFF”).

4. 4 . NAV to MIDI CH and use “A“ to select the desired channel for your MIDI PC by its number (1–16).
SHORTCUT: To disable MIDI for a selected scene from this page, press SHIFT, then double-tap EDIT

It's in the scenes section:

TO SET THE MIDI PROGRAM CHANGE MESSAGE FOR A SCENE...

Every AX8 Scene can send one MIDI Program Change Message (“PC”) on any channel. You can use this feature to change presets on a connected Axe-FX, FX8, or any other MIDI device.

1. 1 . Load the desired Scene.

2. 2 . Press PAGE 3x to change from the Footswitch “FS” page to the “MIDI” page.

3. 3 . NAV to MIDI PC and use “A“ to select the desired MIDI PC by its number (0–127, or “OFF”).

4. 4 . NAV to MIDI CH and use “A“ to select the desired channel for your MIDI PC by its number (1–16).
SHORTCUT: To disable MIDI for a selected scene from this page, press SHIFT, then double-tap EDIT
Hey wanted to say big-time thank you for this! You're right I don't need the midi block as this is what I need and it will work out just fine. Really appreciate the comment and the help.....not sure how I missed it, but thanks again!

^^^ What blackmoreguitar said ... or

in the AX8 editor, click on the MIDI tab and you'll see this:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 2.25.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-12-15 at 2.25.12 PM.png
    135.6 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom