Why is there no "Axe-Fx IIl Tone Match" section in this forum?

@trueresource to answer your question: there’s no tone match specific forum because we don’t need one. The AFII Tone Match forum was one of the lowest trafficked forums with only 1200 posts over ~5 years. Making it it’s own forum wasn’t beneficial.

You can discuss tone matching in the AF III discussion forum. You can post Tone Match results in the AF III Preset Exchange forum.

Honestly, I don't even know how the block would be used in a preset; like as a cab? As an amp? something between? As an effect?

Basically, once you create a Tone Match, you can export that match as a Cab using the Export function(available inside the Tone Match block). After you export it, you can simply delete the Tone Match block, load the exported Cab into a Cab block and use it like you would any other Cab in a preset.

Last edited:
I have found only one Axe-Fx IIl Tone Match youtube video (in english)

which I intend to use (in a few days) to create my first tone match. The tone match video maker has no step by step detail, just general. Since no one has created this section, I hope to document my experience, step by step, and post it.

I've seen statements that the axe3 tone match is the same as axe2. This is not true. I wont go into detail. For a $2500 investment, I think the 3 deserves its own section.

The first thing I have done to prep for the tone match is to purchase a mic pre amp. I spent 50 bucks for an "ART tube pre". Ill use this with my existing Shure SM57 to record a tone match wave of my Acoustic guitar.

I am currently using a peizo equiped guitar. My goal is to create an acoustic simulation for my humbucker electric. I will update here asap.

If possible, FRACTAL TEAM, please create "Axe-Fx IIl Tone Match" section in this forum and move this post there. Thanks

Not to be contrary to the rest but i Agree

I think the TM is overlooked and I wish there was more out there, meaning I think if there was a dedicated section (like the ii, and also like OP says., section on axe edit , section on wish list) for smaller aspects of the axe 3, maybe people would try to use and upload more???

at the same time ,fwiw, there already is a lot of excellent stuff out there so I don’t need anything else

but I get the OP point, so +1

although I don’t get the point of $2500, and was it not $2250 before the bundle price ?

Last edited:
I haven’t had the best results with tone matching but I haven’t spent a lot of time with it either. Cooper Carter’s course has a section on how he approaches it.

Maybe @2112 might like to put together a multipart series in all things tone match? I know Leon has done a few videos before but I think they may have covered matching amps? In-depth on best practice to match recorded tones would be great.

I find the tone match extremely useful. I have used it to:

-make the piezo pickup in various acoustic instruments sound like a nice mic for live work (guitars, upright bass, etc)
-make an electric sound like an acoustic
-make guitar A sound like guitar B (LP, Tele, Strat, what ever)

It is pretty easy to use, just follow the documentation. If you are in the San Jose area, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help you set it up at my professional studio.

I find the tone match extremely useful. I have used it to:

-make the piezo pickup in various acoustic instruments sound like a nice mic for live work (guitars, upright bass, etc)
-make an electric sound like an acoustic
-make guitar A sound like guitar B (LP, Tele, Strat, what ever)

It is pretty easy to use, just follow the documentation. If you are in the San Jose area, shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to help you set it up at my professional studio.
Is that so?

Well not only do I find that very interesting, but you are another example of a great member of this forum for offering to help.

Now in regards to the class, yes, Cooper Carter’s class (I just reAlzed is first and last name are so interchangeable that i forgot which was correct), he has a WHOLE section on it, so Leon is awesome and has great free vids but that carter master class is something else,

Did you upload these presets dude? MArk?

Side note; Ian is totally right.....i just realized, you SHOULD just post in the Preset Exchange section, sorry, but +1 is gone lol

For the record, the III is always on sale for $1999 nowadays, to the point where that is the maximum defacto price going forward. Like all electronics, it is a race to the basement.

I dont know man. $2000 sounds like the steady Price point.....to me anyway, I can’t see it going for less, and I doubt it’ll re-increase, so if that is the case going forward, i think the only thing that’ll drop are FCs and etc, to compete with the FM3....but the axe 3 for $1500 from the FAS factory new? IDK i dont see that

I think the TM is overlooked and I wish there was more out there, meaning I think if there was a dedicated section (like the ii, and also like OP says., section on axe edit , section on wish list) for smaller aspects of the axe 3

There was a section devoted to Tone Matching not too long ago, but traffic was so low that there wasn't much point in posting anything of real significance there, in my opinion. Personally, I'm glad they removed it.

There was a section devoted to Tone Matching not too long ago, but traffic was so low that there wasn't much point in posting anything of real significance there, in my opinion. Personally, I'm glad they removed it.
After reading Ian’s post, and then seeing the traffick, you are both right (i dont know if you saw Jason, by i gave it a -1 lol)

Did you upload these presets dude? MArk?
Thank you for the kind words!

Unfortunately tone match responses don't share all that well. The entire point is to match "YOUR" guitar and the way "YOU" Play (pick, fingers, etc) to the sound you want. Sure, you can use my preset that makes MY 2018 R6 sound like MY 1957 Gibson LG-1/LG-2 conversion, but how well it works is going to depend greatly on your particular guitar and your personal playing style. The real point of tone match is it makes it easy to do these captures yourself.

For those without a studio the best option is to find isolated recordings of the guitar you want to emulate and use those to tone match with your guitar and your playing. If you are just trying to make your strat sound like your tele, then hey no problem. But if you don't have the guitar you want to sound like then find a clean isolated recording of that instrument. You can make your LP sound like David Gilmore's strat, or what ever. Same goes for matching an acoustic - just find a recording you want to sound like and go at it. Results will vary depending on what you are trying to match.

But if you want to match the sound of an acoustic guitar you own, you are going to need:
  1. a good microphone (which will greatly influence the sound)
  2. a decent sounding room (also very important, but easy enough to create)
  3. and a good preamp so you can feed the signal to the Axe FX-III.
And like I said above, if you are anywhere near San Jose, CA and need help with any of this, just look me up. I have all the tools and even some cool guitars we can match to your guitar if you like.

Thank you for the kind words!

Unfortunately tone match responses don't share all that well. The entire point is to match "YOUR" guitar and the way "YOU" Play (pick, fingers, etc) to the sound you want. Sure, you can use my preset that makes MY 2018 R6 sound like MY 1957 Gibson LG-1/LG-2 conversion, but how well it works is going to depend greatly on your particular guitar and your personal playing style. The real point of tone match is it makes it easy to do these captures yourself.

For those without a studio the best option is to find isolated recordings of the guitar you want to emulate and use those to tone match with your guitar and your playing. If you are just trying to make your strat sound like your tele, then hey no problem. But if you don't have the guitar you want to sound like then find a clean isolated recording of that instrument. You can make your LP sound like David Gilmore's strat, or what ever. Same goes for matching an acoustic - just find a recording you want to sound like and go at it. Results will vary depending on what you are trying to match.

But if you want to match the sound of an acoustic guitar you own, you are going to need:
  1. a good microphone (which will greatly influence the sound)
  2. a decent sounding room (also very important, but easy enough to create)
  3. and a good preamp so you can feed the signal to the Axe FX-III.
And like I said above, if you are anywhere near San Jose, CA and need help with any of this, just look me up. I have all the tools and even some cool guitars we can match to your guitar if you like.

this is brilliant. I always wanted one of the line 6 emulation guitars with out line 6. I wonder what would happen if you tone matched a twelve string guitar? If what you are saying is correct, I could emulate a gibson SG on my strat. or vice versa. I haven’t looked at this too closely because I’m still wrapping my head around fathering 4.

thanks for your post. I need to try this out.

this is brilliant. I always wanted one of the line 6 emulation guitars with out line 6. I wonder what would happen if you tone matched a twelve string guitar? If what you are saying is correct, I could emulate a gibson SG on my strat. or vice versa. I haven’t looked at this too closely because I’m still wrapping my head around fathering 4.

thanks for your post. I need to try this out.
Remember that a tone match is nothing more than a specialized EQ.

It won't make your 6 string into a 12 string.

Remember that a tone match is nothing more than a specialized EQ.

It won't make your 6 string into a 12 string.
Thats why I wonder why there has been advice about performing the tone match in a particular room. Whats the difference? I’m sure there is something to be gained from room reverb but what would it be? It seems like a filter wouldn’t have the ability to capture the nuances of reverb.

Last edited:
Thats why I wonder why there has been advice about performing the tone match in a particular room. Whats the difference? I’m sure there is something to be gained from room reverb but what would it be? It seems like a filter wouldn’t have the ability to capture the nuances of reverb.
Because the room affects the EQ of the source - a mic'd acoustic guitar.

Back
Top Bottom