Why is my ESP distorting?

Stringtheorist

Fractal Fanatic
The attached file demonstrates the difference between my Gibson Les Paul (first guitar) and ESP Eclipse with EMGs (second guitar) played through the same Brit JM45 patch on the Axe II. I have verified that the LP tickles the red on the input AD converters and yet remains completely clean. The ESP on the other hand distorts horribly. Changing any of the parameters in the preset such as lowering the gain, master volume, output level, input trim or EQ makes no audible difference to the distortion. Can anyone suggest what's going on?

https://soundcloud.com/craighardie/lp-esp

Yep, that was it; thanks. First time I've ever had to replace the battery in all the years I've had the guitar. Never even occurred to me. :eek:

Lol. I just had the same thing happen a few weeks ago. I was scratching my head as to why my clean patches kept distorting... Suddenly occurred to me that I might need new batteries.

Apparently the 18V (double 9V battery) mod gives the EMGs a bit more bite, and it should keep the pickups out of the brownout zone a bit longer than a single battery.
The mod requires two (or is it three) little 9v battery terminals on pigtails, and feeding one of the terminals into the place the extra battery is housed (usually the battery compartment or tone pot cavity. That's it. I haven't tried it yest myself.

I read a statement from someone at EMG saying that the double battery thing was a myth, and that it actually makes no difference whatsoever. Also if it was a good idea, why wouldn't they have designed the circuit that way to begin with? Anyway, whatever....it's a good idea to change the battery as a matter of course every once in a while. I change mine when they drop to about 7 volts, even though they operate just fine way below that. Put a note on your guitar case saying when you last changed the battery.

My Parker starts to fart out like that too when the battery is ready to die as well. Keep it unplugged when not playing as well will save the battery life.

craiguitar said:
I read a statement from someone at EMG saying that the double battery thing was a myth, and that it actually makes no difference whatsoever.
Really? Because even the installation manuals state that one can use 18V in order to increase headroom.

It's not a myth. But it's not really a major difference and will be more noticeable for those who really dig in hard.

Back
Top Bottom