Why is De-Phase necessary?

De-phase has been a massive game changer for me.

I tend to play my Axe through headphones...I have always been fairly dissatisfied when dialing in tones with the stock IRs as everything just sounded sterile, lifeless and two dimensional...

De-phase has changed all this for me now. I have found new love for my unit and a better workflow when dialing in tones...
So true. That was one of the first things I noticed about De-Phase: it can totally rescue a headphones session.

I just find that when going direct to FOH I get closer to my 'real' amp tone when mic'd up without De-Phase. This is probably more to do with I got lucky and found a great IR combination that works for me.

When I'm monitoring with my IEMs at home, De-Phase helps to soften and round out the tone, making it easier to listen too for longer periods. I also turn De-Phase off when double checking things though as this is the tone I'm used to hearing based on what my actual mic'd amp sounds like.

As expected with anything tone related, you will get many opinions.

Exactly. You should decide. Be confident with your own opinion. If you can't tell a difference then in that case does it matter if you use it or not?

Ask yourself this question: Do you prefer tones that you hear on an album or in the room. What is your favorite guitar tone? If it's something that was recorded on an album with actual microphones then I suggest you search for the right IR and don't use de-phase. However if you really liked the way your old tube amp sounded in the room and don't really like how guitars sound on records. Then you should definitely experiment with de-phase. It has to be your own opinion. No one else can tell you what you like.

I just find that when going direct to FOH I get closer to my 'real' amp tone when mic'd up without De-Phase. This is probably more to do with I got lucky and found a great IR combination that works for me.

When I'm monitoring with my IEMs at home, De-Phase helps to soften and round out the tone, making it easier to listen too for longer periods. I also turn De-Phase off when double checking things though as this is the tone I'm used to hearing based on what my actual mic'd amp sounds like.
I get how you might prefer running without De-Phase. What I don't get is how running that way can sound more real in FOH but not more real in your monitor.

I get how you might prefer running without De-Phase. What I don't get is how running that way can sound more real in FOH but not more real in your monitor.

Reverberation maybe? Since you listen to stage monitors quite closely, you get more details, phase issues included. PA sound is mixed with the room reverberation and masks quite a lot.

Just a wild guess.

Oh, it does sound real in my monitors. It's exactly the same as the direct tone I'm used to hearing. The issue with the IEMs is that after a while it gets too fatiguing to listen too, especially in isolation.

De-Phase just softens my direct tone so it's a bit easier to listen too for longer periods when I'm playing at home etc.

The issue with the IEMs is that after a while it gets too fatiguing to listen too, especially in isolation.

De-Phase just softens my direct tone so it's a bit easier to listen too for longer periods when I'm playing at home etc.
Understood.

Back
Top Bottom