Why is configuring an expression pedal so hard for me?

JiveTurkey

Power User
I'll keep it brief. I'm sure it's something dumb on my end.

I have a Roland EV5. It works on other gear last I checked. I calibrated it according to the settings but cannot assign it as a controller for a modifier. Set it to pedal 1, then configure on whatever block parameter I am attempting. Sometimes, it will register movement (visual feedback in the controller assign window (or whatever it's called)) when I assign it; other times it won't. Any midi attached exp pedal that is assigned a specific CC and that same CC assigned to an external controller in Axe system settings works flawlessly.

Where am I going wrong? The Roland knob is set to 0 as it should be. Struggling here on something simple and just not sure why.

Have you tried the EV5 w/ MIDI controller, or another pedal w/ the Axe pedal jack?

The cable could be going bad on the EV5. I have one that still works most of the time, but with the cable positioned a certain way the value will jump to 0 and stay there.

Have you tried the EV5 w/ MIDI controller, or another pedal w/ the Axe pedal jack?

The cable could be going bad on the EV5. I have one that still works most of the time, but with the cable positioned a certain way the value will jump to 0 and stay there.
I have but it's been a bit. Then there's the "one device wants a TS style, one wants TRS style" conundrum I seem to find myself in more often than not. I am hopefully going to borrow my guitarist's extra Fractal pedal to test it out. I bought @Moke Bon Jovi preset and the shallow throw of my GR33 expression pedal just isn't doing the talk box justice :mad::D

I have but it's been a bit. Then there's the "one device wants a TS style, one wants TRS style" conundrum I seem to find myself in more often than not. I am hopefully going to borrow my guitarist's extra Fractal pedal to test it out. I bought @Moke Bon Jovi preset and the shallow throw of my GR33 expression pedal just isn't doing the talk box justice :mad::D
almost every midi controller uses TRS for expression pedals. Line6 is one of the few that uses TS. i think some old Korg gear used TS. but most recent/current gear uses TRS.

I just confirmed borrowing my friend's Fractal EV2 and be able to test it out over the weekend. I bet it is the cord on the EV5.

So it was the EV5 going bad after all. Dumped it in jam room trash can and proceeded to dig the heck out of the Fractal exp pedal. The talk box sounds as it should now :) (Well, as much "as it should" considering there is no actual talkbox involved) :D

FWIW, I've been using an EV5 with my AX8 for years. It's always with my AX8 rig so I've never actually hooked it up to the Axe-III. I'll try it and see if I have any issues.

I've had nothing but troubles with the EV5 in the past. But quite a few pros use it.

If it's something inside that's busted, it's probably an easy fix for anyone knowledgeable in electronics. Expression pedals are pretty simple devices.

Probably the cable. Step on it enough or roll over it with your chair like I always do enough times and that will break the wires.

It's sitting in the can still. If I get ambitious; I might dig it out. But it will probably end up sitting on the to do pile for a bit.

I've got one that has been a part of quite a few different rigs over the past 25+ years, and still going strong.

Over the years I have..... replaced the plug (twice), then removed the 'trim knob' and re-wired the whole thing, added an output jack, removed the output jack and added a new cable and plug, removed the plug and wired it to a remote jack on my latest pedal board.

I've got one that has been a part of quite a few different rigs over the past 25+ years, and still going strong.

Over the years I have..... replaced the plug (twice), then removed the 'trim knob' and re-wired the whole thing, added an output jack, removed the output jack and added a new cable and plug, removed the plug and wired it to a remote jack on my latest pedal board.
I think removing the trim knob and a rewire would be top of my list. I have an female 1/4" to male 1/4" extension cable that's basically brand new I could repurpose.

I still can't get over how tough that little plastic pedal has been!
Oh yeah. My only gripe I ever had, if any; is that it needs mounted on a board or you will walk it across the stage when you are using it :eek::D I have a Boss EV30 at the practice spot and I absolutely love it!

Back
Top Bottom