Why I love my axe fx II

kevrock

Experienced
Cuz this is all I gotta bring to shows. Lol.
2ca69ed35b0152c60fbc9667da9b490f.jpg

The guitar is in the white case... that's what the air pump is for. :)

All joking aside, I was just talking with our sound man about this at setup yesterday. It is so nice not to have to lug out the rack of stuff, 4x12 cabs, etc, and actually end up with better sound options. Our stage volume has gone down exponentially with the change to more compact rigs, in-ear monitoring for most of the guys, and Roland V-Drums for the drummer. Light, mobile, controllable awesome sound. What's not to like?

Same here ... four space rack (axefx2, power conditioner, wireless), atomic clr powered wedge, diago pedal board for MFC-101 and mission pedals ... plus a couple guitar cases, done.
rig.jpg

Just curious. Why would you use an atomic wedge or similar as opposed to using a stage monitor/ in ear monitors?

You could use in-ears if that's what you're doing, so it is a bit of it's own thing there. The Atomics, RCFs, CLRs and all are more guitar specific solutions, and give a really good representation of an amp sound.

bdrepko ... I forgot to mention that I also use in-ears for monitoring the full band, the CLR in my case is just for some extra reinforcement. However, with it's dual inputs, I imagine you could just as easily send that monitor signal through it as well. I played a show last night with the CLR facing up at me and with the in-ear system and it was great, never heard my guitar better! As Rick said, and I can only speak for the Atomic stuff, really good representation of the amp sounds, in my opinion.

I want to use in ears. I just am trying to find a cheaper. Good sounding in ear. Lol

Not sure that exists. I have ~$600 Shures and they don't sound that great. I guess if you spend several thousand you may find something decent.

I use Westone ES-3 with a custom mold done by an audiologist. They're approximately $800 but mine have been going strong for three years, sound great, feel comfy and, most importantly, have helped preserve my hearing. Rod Stewart credits them with saving his career for the same reason. IEM's are an important investment as that's what you're going to hear everything thru. The quality of the drivers and the fit should be the best available. Buy cheap, buy twice - as my Dad used to say.

Yep, here’s mine all packed up:

IMG_3171_zps5e8bf680.jpg

2 Guitars with stands in the Mono Case, MFC + Expression pedals on a PT2, 2RU Gator case and Yamaha DXR-10 in a custom cover.

I'd feel so sketchy about putting Fractal stickers on my gear, just asking to be stolen IMO. I like to remain as bland as possible on casings / transport etc. I LOVE stickers and shit, I just can't bring myself to advertise my gear, I feel like I'm saying, hey thieves over here! :D

I use Westone ES-3 with a custom mold done by an audiologist. They're approximately $800 but mine have been going strong for three years, sound great, feel comfy and, most importantly, have helped preserve my hearing. Rod Stewart credits them with saving his career for the same reason. IEM's are an important investment as that's what you're going to hear everything thru. The quality of the drivers and the fit should be the best available. Buy cheap, buy twice - as my Dad used to say.
Could not AGREE more !!!
Used Westone UM-1's (universals) with custom molded tips on the stems for about 2 yrs upa t church and occasionally with an old band, always jonesing for a full set of CIEM's, (custom-mold IEM's) but couldn't justify it until the band went all IEM. There's simply too much extra "stuff" needed to have 1 or 2 on IEM's and the rest using stage mons.

Ordered my 1964 Ears Quad's at the end of 2013 (was 5 week lead time back then) having sent them audiologist molds. They arrived late Jan '14 and the combined total came in around $620 ($549 + $50 for molds + S/H) so I used them at church until band went IEM. That happened back in May, so we are now all IEM and have a much cleaner stage footprint. The Quads are awesome and I can hear everything I need at much lower volumes. Bass replication is STELLAR! We mix from stage, so adjusting my mix is simply a matter of walking over and tweaking in-flight. Whether we play thru the house systems (30% of our gigs) or our own PA, the splits/feeds all go into the X32 Producer, so we only need minor mix adjustments for any venue as the trim levels remain fairly constant as we ALWAYS use our own mics and direct feeds.

Both guitar players (tubes, not AF2 - and I play bass in this band) are using single driver Shure E215's that came with their wireless units so they are are going thru some challenges with sounds "dropping out" of the mix when the whole band plays. But... after much discussion, research and talking with other bands using IEM's they have concluded that this is caused by the Shure single drivers, and plan to upgrade to multi-drivers when $$ become available.

Other than drummer, the other 4 are all wireless inbound (G50, G30, G90) and wireless ears.. Carvin EM900 and Shure PSM200's. To be fair, it IS an investment (ears + wireless units) but since we play most weekends and are NOT touring and making a living from doing this, we are perfectly happy with the expense and resulting benefits... The big thing is that it's all modular. Power up, put your ears in and play.. minimal setup!! :D

Spend the $$ !! Protect your hearing!! DO NOT CHEAP OUT !
BUY ONCE, CRY ONCE !

Not sure that exists. I have ~$600 Shures and they don't sound that great. I guess if you spend several thousand you may find something decent.
I'm using the Shure SE 425's - they're quite cheap (approx. $325) and they sound great to me.
Could be because we're using a very good Presonus headphone pre-amp (don't know the model).
If you're used to hearing an amp thru the air it's possible the most expensive ones available will never sound good to you.
It's in the ear of the beholder.

Back
Top Bottom