Why Hiwatts cannot easily do the Gilmour thing? ("Shine On" preset included)

Here you go!
Compared to the ax8 version the main difference is the amp model, now I use the hiwatt with preamp parameters copied from the vibroverb ab, I prefer this approach in the axe III to simulate the alembic+hiwatt combo.
I tweaked a bunch of other things but can't remember what atm.

Let me know what you think ;)

PS: use the IR I posted on page 1.

Attachments

• Shine (PULSE).syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 37
Hi
Thanks for sharing all your work!!!
I m new to fractal product and always enjoy Gilmour sounds and of course his own feeling when he plays , his taste, he makes his strat sings like no one else....
I ve read all the..... technicals things on his sound and how to approach it
I like that !!!! But I m also far from That and far from you and your knowledge....
So there s song I ve never managed to get close even with amp and pedals....
This song is SORROW.....
So i d like your help to get close to it , if someone has preset to share, a lot of work, effects and a very complex equation to create this sound
Thanks and sorry for my .... french English!!!!
Fabrice

Try this preset. It was written for Axe FX III, but can be easily converted to Axe FX II using Al Grenadine's great utility 'Fractool'.

Note: I put this together in about 3 mins after seeing your request. I think it still needs some better EQ, and a fuller IR.

Attachments

• Sorrow - PWL.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 34
Here you go!
Compared to the ax8 version the main difference is the amp model, now I use the hiwatt with preamp parameters copied from the vibroverb ab, I prefer this approach in the axe III to simulate the alembic+hiwatt combo.
I tweaked a bunch of other things but can't remember what atm.

Let me know what you think ;)

PS: use the IR I posted on page 1.
thank you very much buddy!!!

Try this preset. It was written for Axe FX III, but can be easily converted to Axe FX II using Al Grenadine's great utility 'Fractool'.
Fractool cant convert presets from Axe 3 to the other fractal devices,im on the Axe 3 but wil no work for user of the other fractal audio devices

Here it is (preset+cab), let me know what you think ;)

Ps: obviously some adjustments would be needed to adapt to different guitars, eventually back off the guitar volume knob if you experience too much gain.
The first filter block is there to simulate the EMG SPC control, turn it off if you have the DG-20 set.

Can’t wait to try these patches! I also currently play in a group that plays and performs pulse versions of Pink Floyd songs. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gone back-and-forth between fender clean tone amps and recently experienced going straight into the Hiwatt settings! Right out of the gate after reading a couple articles About his pedals and uses, I completely reconfigured a variety of different Pink Floyd patches consisting of shine on, coming back to life, all the way up to What do you want from me, and Sorrow!

For shine on and coming back to life, I used virtually the same patch. A clean Hiwatt amp with the Gain set between 4.25-5.22. I mix this with a ducking delay at around 12 to 15%, 25% feedback and a rich hall reverb at about 26%, and an analog chorus at about 15%. The key component to that intro is compression! For both shine on and coming back to life it honestly sounds like a blues driver which I used the blues drive pedal with the gain at about .40% and the tone at 12 o’clock. Between the clean amp, and a small amount of gain from the blues driver pedal, and the compression, it does give you a very fair forgery of that classic sound from the pulse albums. For the second lead, I simply use the non-modded tube screamer. We did a live streaming video just recently, which went straight to video and that tone sounded righteous and went to video very well. Through a warm tube amp, it’s even nicer behind you! I’m sorry that I don’t have any of the live audio or video to post, but if anybody is interested I would be happy to send a patch for you guys to sample!

For the heavier driven sounds of pulse especially sorrow, comfortably numb, money, what do you want from me, and keep talking; it’s come not only more difficult; but from a great many things! I was reading heavily how much he loved his old fuzz pedals. The pie fuzz pedal in particular sounds very nice over a clean Hiwatt amp! The pedal itself is very dark when you select it, so decrease the low cut right up to about 1645-1710, And put the high cut at 3000! The drive amount if being used by itself like for animals and dogs I put to about 9.62 on the gain. However another key component, is the fact that he would push his fuzz pedals with a Chandler tube driver or the tube drive three knob. Leave the EQ exactly as it is 12 o’clock the low cut at 800 and the high cut at 2000, and put the drive between 1.5 and 1.65. Instantaneously you’ll hear that thick saturated sound. Remember to decrease the drive of the fuzz pedal that you’re pushing, back down to 8.0 or 8.2. What’s also amazing is even within his heavily driven drive tones he still uses A fair amount of chorus anywhere between 7 and 14%. The real challenge with the two pedals is of course the master and the slave? I’m usually pushing the fuzz with the tube driver, and occasionally even putting a full drive pedal in front of the fuzz pedal sounds really good and thick! I hope any of this gibberish makes sense to any Gilmour fan who is trying to find this tone on the fractal AX8. I can tell you as a Gilmour fan, that tone is everything; and I have spent an unfathomable amount of hours trying to carve the sounds for live shows!
Rock on!
Aaron

Back
Top Bottom