Why Has Slash Not Fractalized Yet?

Right around 51:25 Richard Fortus talks about modelers. I can't say I agree with what he says. On the other hand he may be one of those guys that can't live with that small difference. He said they tried and there is an Axe Fx II in his rack (powered off).
he pretty much blames the Axe's response to volume pot changes and how unnatural modelers in that regard react. it definitely has hugely improved over recent firmwares and who knows what the last firmware was that he tried.

maybe Cliff could model that Voodoo amp he's using (I know I'd love to have that ;) ) and then see how close they are now...

In another reality:

Crew sneaks the Axe in on a few sets.
Slash plays, unaware he's not playing his usual rig.
"Dang, I sound bitchin today!" - Slash
Slash plays a few more sets.
"Mr. Slash, you've been using an Axe FX for the past two shows." - Crew
"WTF??" - Slash

Fractal is great bang for the buck... but I could fantasize about being able to afford a dedicated tech and pretty much any gear I wanted and afford cartage, maintenance etc.... I probably would not play the Fractal.

Everything is maintained for you... all you have to do is play the rig and enjoy it full time... doesn't sound too bad to me.

Also, after seeing him last summer his tone was killer, I mean really great. Why would you want to mess with it? He can afford all the amps and techs he wants. Its not like he's lugging these amps like us into gigs.

Modelling has made leaps and bounds in the past 10 years but let's stay in reality here! Amps still account for probably 75-80% of the market over digital, maybe more. Once that gap lessens you might see more top player using 100% digital rigs. I love my AX8 but if I had tons of cash I'd also have tons of amps as well.

Fractal is great bang for the buck... but I could fantasize about being able to afford a dedicated tech and pretty much any gear I wanted and afford cartage, maintenance etc.... I probably would not play the Fractal.

Everything is maintained for you... all you have to do is play the rig and enjoy it full time... doesn't sound too bad to me.

Except when it breaks down on you mid gig. The term Spinal Tap moment doesn't just happen in movies. There's a reason why pros have to carry around so much gear. Backups! Tube amps and vintage guitars are finicky beasts. All this analog gear in its complicated analog switchers is vulnerable enough by itself, let alone when constantly build up, broken down and hauled across countries in rain, wind or weather. There's a reason this rig is so massive, despite being at its core simply a Les Paul into a Marshall, and its not just tone. Sh it breaks down so you need backups. A lot.

Except when it breaks down on you mid gig. The term Spinal Tap moment doesn't just happen in movies. There's a reason why pros have to carry around so much gear. Backups! Tube amps and vintage guitars are finicky beasts. All this analog gear in its complicated analog switchers is vulnerable enough by itself, let alone when constantly build up, broken down and hauled across countries in rain, wind or weather. There's a reason this rig is so massive, despite being at its core simply a Les Paul into a Marshall, and its not just tone. Sh it breaks down so you need backups. A lot.

Right... my fantasy includes triple backup of everything... also that I don't have to setup or maintain myself :)

If I was him, had lots of money and people to lug around my gear...I would use amps too. No question.

I could understand if that was a matter of simplicity of use. But I don't see how the ever changing character of an amp on tour would be simpler than a pre-programmed AxeFX + a RAC like controller.

Right... my fantasy includes triple backup of everything... also that I don't have to setup or maintain myself :)

Don't forget the amps that go all the way to eleven!

If I was him, had lots of money and people to lug around my gear...I would use amps too. No question.

Personally I wouldn't. I've gigged with a lot of gear and know that it is both heavy and complex. Once you've had a Spinal Tap moment reliability starts to look mighty more appealing. Plus I've said my emotional goodbye to tube amps years ago. I was just waiting for something that would allow me to say that goodbye sooner.

So, if I were Slash, or the Edge, the last thing I want is to be on stage for tens of thousands of people, holding my breath every night that nothing goes wrong, hoping that my tech is on the ball every single night, because I know Murphy is a bitch and he will get his point across eventually. Give me a simple setup anytime. A guitar into an Axe FX into the FOH. I reckon that Metallica's techs have a lot less stress then those of GnR.

I could understand if that was a matter of simplicity of use. But I don't see how the ever changing character of an amp on tour would be simpler than a pre-programmed AxeFX + a RAC like controller.

I didn't say it was simpler. It's a matter of what you prefer. Slash gets up on stage and plays, his techs do all the work for him....

I love my AX8, but to me nothing beats real amps on stage.

I bet his tech could replace it all with a Fractal and he wouldn't care... as long as it's all set up to his preference.

I assumed from the recent post by @ML SOUND LAB that Fortus was actively using an Axe Fx?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...fortus-impulses-for-destruction.132649/unread
Richard does use Fractal gear but he uses other gear as well. I think their current rigs have all real amps.

Something that also surprised me was when I've talked to some of these techs who work with huge bands is that they don't really care about saving money and using a smaller rig. These bands are huge and they respect real amps. They might save $50k on every tour by using Fractals on tour but if it's a band this big that's not a huge pile of money at the end of the day. Also think about possible sponsors. Gibson.. Marshall.. Slash is a huge spokesperson for these brands and I'm sure he makes at least one bottle of Jack Daniels every time someone buys a Slash amp. ;)

In another reality:

Crew sneaks the Axe in on a few sets.
Slash plays, unaware he's not playing his usual rig.
"Dang, I sound bitchin today!" - Slash
Slash plays a few more sets.
"Mr. Slash, you've been using an Axe FX for the past two shows." - Crew
"WTF??" - Slash

Mr. Slash’s Road Manger’s Assistant’s gopher: “Aisle or window?”

Back
Top Bottom