Why FM3 over FM9?

vejichan

Inspired
FM3 or FM9
If you need one compact unit mostly for home use/recording/jamming - usually a tubescreamer boost pedal, noise gate, Amp head, Cab ir, reverb, delay, chorus..maybe pitch shift but very rarely. Thats about it.
Also if needed for live use, all i need is a button to go between 4 sounds (clean, blues, rythmn, lead)
please advise, which would be better? also does the FM9 function better as a dedicated audio interface than the FM3? Thank you

I used to think the modularity was going to be perfect for me. Thing is I haven't ever needed to seperate them and I like the added features of the FM9! and it doesn't take up any more real estate then what I have now so I will be moving to the new platform.

For what you are describing the FM3 sounds like the best fit.
Hey FAS what is the difference in reamping between the 2? I no longer gig out very much and when I do, I am using a different rig. I have recently been using software for recording because I don't like reamping with my AF2, I know I will never be fortunate enough to have Axe FX as a plugin but I would be happy to find something scaled down, with the new firmware and new models to use in my studio.

When I play out acoustically, I play in small settings where room can be a factor. So even though I will be adding an FM9, I will keep the FM3 for simple acoustic ventures.

I would recommend to buy new from FAS and if your going to keep for few yrs get the extended warranty. I have never had any issues with FAS gear but you never know, its electronic gear. I personally always get the 3 yr warranty. The FM3 is built like a tank.

FM3 or FM9
If you need one compact unit mostly for home use/recording/jamming - usually a tubescreamer boost pedal, noise gate, Amp head, Cab ir, reverb, delay, chorus..maybe pitch shift but very rarely. Thats about it.
Also if needed for live use, all i need is a button to go between 4 sounds (clean, blues, rythmn, lead)
please advise, which would be better? also does the FM9 function better as a dedicated audio interface than the FM3? Thank you
Depends if you want to control it over USB midi or not. If you want to switch patches, scenes etc through your DAW, you can with both but in the case of FM3 you'd need an USB to midi interface (say +100 Euro for the equipment and more cables hanging around), with FM9 you should be able to go direct from the USB of your DAW station (computer).

Depends if you want to control it over USB midi or not. If you want to switch patches, scenes etc through your DAW, you can with both but in the case of FM3 you'd need an USB to midi interface (say +100 Euro for the equipment and more cables hanging around), with FM9 you should be able to go direct from the USB of your DAW station (computer).

You mean having the DAW automate the switches rather than just using FM3-Edit or the footswitches?

I mean DAW automating over midi any CC values linked to block parameters or scene/channel changes and PC values linked to patch changes.

Get the FM3. Like a lot of people probably when the FM9 was released I immediately thought I needed it (still might). But after thinking about it, in a four hour cover band set I really only use maybe four presets and use the same couple amps/effects for the vast majority. So the extra buttons/CPU doesn't really do much for me. It sure is sexy though!

Will the FM3 work for you? YES. Could having the FM9 potentially open up musical doors for you that you are not currently aware of? YES. If you have zero interest in ever trying new things, or having more switches and sound options, save the money and get the FM3. If you want to grow, experiment and eventually try new things, definitely get the FM9.

I have gone through this process with gear (that I didn't know I needed until I got it.) Back in the day, we thought we only needed some lose change if we "needed" to make a phone call. Today, no one will leave home without their cell phone. If you get an FM9, you probably won't regret it. It's the gold standard of floorboards- for many reasons. If you find it's too much, you will easily be able to sell it and not lose much.

They are both very high quality audio interfaces.

Will the FM3 work for you? YES. Could having the FM9 potentially open up musical doors for you that you are not currently aware of? YES. If you have zero interest in ever trying new things, or having more switches and sound options, save the money and get the FM3. If you want to grow, experiment and eventually try new things, definitely get the FM9.
I don't know about this. The FM3 is jam packed with things I have experimented with. Tons of amps, tons of cabs, deep editing all the same, really cool modifiers based on pitch and envelope. If you need to experiment with using multiple amp blocks at the same time, desire the ability to do seemless switching between scenes, always have room for the highest quality reverb (2 of them), have more switches built in, and be able to run more stuff at the same time then the FM9 may be the way to go. but like @FractalAudio said the FM3 will likely suit your needs.
I have had my FM3 for about a year now, and I haven't even used everything on it. I am intrigued by the extra processing power of the FM9, but it honestly isn't required for what I do right now.

Back
Top Bottom