Why Don't People Talk More About the FAS Amps?

I think @yek has that covered, no?
But you're totally right! - it is the best pre-amp on top of the state of the art amplification
Great video!

PS How do you feel about the heavy metal ones, like "Brootalz" and "Skullcrusher", and the "Modern" which I think are Recto copies?

That is very surprising to hear - whenever I am sick of an SUS or Moke or whatever bought presets I own (SUS I think is superlative) - but I always end up going back to FAS amps for a nice change up

No one replied to my question - but I for one, am a HUGE fan of Brootalz, Skullcrusher and the Modern III

I think @yek has that covered, no?
But you're totally right! - it is the best pre-amp on top of the state of the art amplification
Great video!

PS How do you feel about the heavy metal ones, like "Brootalz" and "Skullcrusher", and the "Modern" which I think are Recto copies?
I like all of them, to be honest. The three I chose are the ones I'm most familiar with and use the most, so I guess those are my faves, BUt there's not a bad one among them.

Some can’t know if something is good unless it can be compared to something else in someone else’s video.
This, and I'll bet there are also a certain number of Axe-Fx users who want to be able to name-drop the amp models they are using when talking to their guitar player friends. Saying you're using a model of Keith Urban's favorite tweed Twin has more bragging rights than saying you're using an imaginary amp invented by the guy who runs the company. That said, I've not found an FAS model that didn't kick ass and take names.

Last edited:
Because though they may be better, they are not "iconic" and/or established tonal standards of reference like a Recto, AC30, JCM800, 5150 ... you get the idea
This! Ever since the 90's we live in a time where recreating classic/vintage tones has become more important then finding an original tone yourself. People who get the Axe want to recreate either their own amps, as I did, or those classic vintage tones they've been lusting after since like forever.

This! Ever since the 90's we live in a time where recreating classic/vintage tones has become more important then finding an original tone yourself. People who get the Axe want to recreate either their own amps, as I did, or those classic vintage tones they've been lusting after since like forever.

Very good point. I started way back on a Roland VG8 and I LOVED that I was making tones I hadn't heard before. I wasn't trying to be anything but me and that's what I love about the Axe FX too.

Seal Clubber

In my limited experience with trying to recreate classic tones (mostly Fender Tweeds, Marshalls, and Voxes), I've found the FAS models seem to get me there faster than using the authentic models. To me they are like a generic best of breed type of thing.

Agreed.. BTW a pull-down paper on the wall back to you reads Chinese characters, saying.." If you do your best sincerely, then gold stone will open"
Maybe it means a stone will be changed in to gold should you push yourself to the limit. I'm wonder who wrote that old saying, Chinese, Korean or Japanese?

Agreed.. BTW a pull-down paper on the wall back to you reads Chinese characters, saying.." If you do your best sincerely, then gold stone will open"
Maybe it means a stone will be changed in to gold should you push yourself to the limit. I'm wonder who wrote that old saying, Chinese, Korean or Japanese?
I always took it to mean that you will be rewarded with prosperity for putting in honest, good effort.

Forgot that I used to use FAS Brootalz and FAS Modern II on my AX8 a lot. Infact I preferred them over the 5153 models that they were similar to. Used to use these amps at church fundraiser concerts playing covers of all kinds of stuff from A7X, Ozzy, TSO, to Pink Floyd.

Haven't given them much of a try on the FM3 as my preference seems to have shifted toward JCM800/Plexi tones, but I may have to revisit.

Back
Top Bottom