Why Doesn't It Sound The Same?

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
am i missing something? the cab mixes in CL3 sound different once loaded into the AXE. They sound dull in CL3

Are you bypassing the cab block in the preset? If not, do that and it will sound normal. If you already are and it still doesn't sound right, I don't know what to tell you :)

I just played with CL3 for 5 minutes and I had the same impression when I loaded the IR it into the axe.

cab block is bypassed. sounds weird in CL3. the highs aren't as prevalent, like the LP filter is too low but its set at 20k. also getting a dulling effect when adding delay in a stereo cab setup. seems like the program is very taxing on cpu. i can run Logic's buffer @ 64 samples with no issue but CL3 has quite a bit of latency @ 128. could this have something to do with why it sounds, well, bad? am i missing something in the setup or is CL3 not quite ready for primetime?

Are you monitoring direct Axe-Fx along with CL3 affected by DAW latency?

Record a track of guitar in DAW > CL3 and then compare that to live playing Axe-Fx into IR (with no DAW connected).

Not using a DAW, only mentioned as a comparison related to latency. Axe is connected to the computer via usb but audio is going thru my studiolive interface. the IR mixes sound fine once in the Axe, just not so fine while monitoring in Live Mode

If you're mixing, make sure you use the right IRs and set the correct options.
For example, mixing "raw" (not phase-aligned) IRs can result in a dull tone, if you don't do it right.

gotcha. i was working with "cabs in the attic" today and it still doesn't sound the same in CL3 as it does once the mix is in the Axe. CL3 sounds dull by comparison and I was using the Axe for audio

I am experiencing the same. Sounds dull and lifeless when using CL3. When loaded into my AxeFx it sounds better. In fact I find the software to crash a lot too and I have to restart my AxeFx2 because the sound disappears. Very underwhelmed with it, I gotta say.

I think as shasha answered to me in another post when you use live mode the cab lab you bypass the cab block then when you send it to scratch pad you have all the things in the cab block added to it. I do not know if this is the real reason but It kinda makes sense I have started only using an amp alone when mixing cabs then building the preset. with this method for me anyways they sound the same when loaded in the axe.

Last edited:
I am experiencing the same. Sounds dull and lifeless when using CL3. When loaded into my AxeFx it sounds better. In fact I find the software to crash a lot too and I have to restart my AxeFx2 because the sound disappears. Very underwhelmed with it, I gotta say.

haven't had any crashes, just mud

I think as shasha answered to me in another post when you use live mode the cab lab you bypass the cab block then when you send it to scratch pad you have all the things in the cab block added to it. I do not know if this is the real reason but It kinda makes sense I have started only using an amp alone when mixing cabs then building the preset. with this method for me anyways they sound the same when loaded in the axe.

yeah, i'm bypassing the cab block (in the axe) when mixing in CL3 too. it's close but definitely doesn't sound the same

Back
Top Bottom