Why Doesn't It Sound The Same...

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
... as my axefx2? all parameters are exactly the same but it sounds (and i hate to use this adjective) fizzy. is it because the ax8 is 2.02 and the axefx is 2.04? Does the ax8 have the latest UR IR processing as the axefx? definitely isn't as warm sounding.

the vox clean crunch is the axefx2 mk1. a-class 15 is the axe8.

Attachments

• VOX CleanCrunch.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 7
  • A-Class 15.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
the vox clean crunch is the axefx2 mk1. a-class 15 is the axe8.
I just conducted an experiment using the amp and the cab blocks from your "Vox Clean Crunch" preset.

I imported just the amp and cab into the two presets that I use to compare as I port changes to the AX8.

Aside from a newly discovered bug in Axe-Edit (attached to the AxeFx) importing a cab block, we hear no discernible differences. If you reset the cab block to its defaults on both the AxeFx AND the AX8, you should hear that the two presets now sound the same.

I would work with the Cab block on the AX8.

Thanks @Joe Rogers , I'll take another look at it tomorrow. I know the AxeFx had an upgrade to the way IR's are processed (ultrares 2.0?) does the AX8 have the same IR processing? Not referring to dephase, preamp etc.

@jlynnb1 - the presets themselves are different but the amp & cab blocks are the same.

@philipacamaniac thanks, yes all parameters were checked and double checked)

i did an extensive listen this morning and recorded a short example.

first part of the clip is the axefx2 (fw 2.04), 2nd half is the ax8 (fw 2.02). both using a-class 15 model in the amp block and factory cab #83. both blocks in both units were reset and all parameters checked to be sure of exactly the same settings.

Here are the 2 presets I used;

Attachments

• Vox AxeFxII.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Vox AX8.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@philipacamaniac thanks, yes all parameters were checked and double checked)

i did an extensive listen this morning and recorded a short example.

first part of the clip is the axefx2 (fw 2.04), 2nd half is the ax8 (fw 2.02). both using a-class 15 model in the amp block and factory cab #83. both blocks in both units were reset and all parameters checked to be sure of exactly the same settings.

Here are the 2 presets I used;

I hear more distortion. To me, it sounds like you are driving the input harder on the second sample.

me too but they're both set the same, as far as i can tell. i have the inputs set the same (tickling the red) am i missing something?

I had a similar issue, but i solved it. Turns out i had an effect in parallel before the amp. This doubles the signal and drives the amp harder.

me too but they're both set the same, as far as i can tell. i have the inputs set the same (tickling the red) am i missing something?
Try changing your input pad. The two presets sound the same here.

From that recording you were correct in the term "fizzy". Sounds like perhaps a gain staging issue on that amp or cab block. The output almost sounds like it's clipping a little bit on both recordings. If I get time later on I'll load it up to see if I can assist on that desired tone you're going for. Do you have a reference tone that you want it to sound like for us to compare against?

Check Global -> Amp Gain and Input Pad settings on AXE-8. Check global EQs. Check I/O settings like Copy L to R vs Summing L/R for inputs/outputs (sorry don't have my system with me but hopefully that makes some sense)

From that recording you were correct in the term "fizzy". Sounds like perhaps a gain staging issue on that amp or cab block. The output almost sounds like it's clipping a little bit on both recordings. If I get time later on I'll load it up to see if I can assist on that desired tone you're going for. Do you have a reference tone that you want it to sound like for us to compare against?
nothing specific to a song or artist, just want to get them both the same. i like the tone from the vox preset in the axefx.

Check Global -> Amp Gain and Input Pad settings on AXE-8. Check global EQs. Check I/O settings like Copy L to R vs Summing L/R for inputs/outputs (sorry don't have my system with me but hopefully that makes some sense)
off to a gig shortly but i'll be sure to check this out tomorrow morning, THX!

Back
Top Bottom