Why doesn't Fractal Audio want to make AX8 Mark II model like FX8 Mark II anymore?

The Edge

Then again, and perhaps this time it will not be forbidden by the administrator of this site to express his answer to my question. It's still the same and hasn't been answered enough. Why did Fractal Audio stop modernising and stop production of AX8 altogether? Why won't there be a MARK2 version? What good is upgrading software when there's a years-old processor in the AX8 and it's already very slow for today compared to the latest models? The new FM3 model may certainly be good for some guitarists but it certainly won't be suitable for those using the AX8. FM3 doesn't have the option of switching eight scenes in one saved preset, after all. He doesn't have enough switches for that. The genius of the AX8 was that everything was needed in the metal box from the switches to the 19" rack versions, and it made it possible to exploit the device's variability as it did with the rack versions. The new FM3 model is not successor to AX8, but only its simpler younger and smaller brother. It won't help AX8 owners. Just because I have an unpleasant question I'm not a troll. The discussion is healthy and if someone is afraid of it then something is wrong. P.S. Of course, the picture doesn't show my face. The other people in this forum don't have their own pictures here either. :)

i don’t think it’s an unpleasant question. but the decision has clearly already been made.

what exactly would be the response you want to hear? Honest question.

FYI you can change 4 scenes with just one switch so 2 switches will change to all 8 scenes.

Last edited:
FM3 & FC-6 perhaps?
Technology moves fast and must also change in form factor as it does.

I personally don’t have a problem carrying a 4 space shallow rack w AXE III, and 2 self powered frfr’s anywhere.

I used to carry an 18 space monster rig with 2 4x12 cabinets to every gig!

We have it easy these days thanks to Fractal!
Product evolution will never stop morphing and that’s a good thing

😊

Then again, and perhaps this time it will not be forbidden by the administrator of this site to express his answer to my question. It's still the same and hasn't been answered enough. Why did Fractal Audio stop modernising and stop production of AX8 altogether? Why won't there be a MARK2 version? What good is upgrading software when there's a years-old processor in the AX8 and it's already very slow for today compared to the latest models? The new FM3 model may certainly be good for some guitarists but it certainly won't be suitable for those using the AX8. FM3 doesn't have the option of switching eight scenes in one saved preset, after all. He doesn't have enough switches for that. The genius of the AX8 was that everything was needed in the metal box from the switches to the 19" rack versions, and it made it possible to exploit the device's variability as it did with the rack versions. The new FM3 model is not successor to AX8, but only its simpler younger and smaller brother. It won't help AX8 owners. Just because I have an unpleasant question I'm not a troll. The discussion is healthy and if someone is afraid of it then something is wrong. P.S. Of course, the picture doesn't show my face. The other people in this forum don't have their own pictures here either. :)
Seriously dude, no one is holding a gun to your head & forcing you to buy Fractal products. If they don't live up to your lofty standards, GO BUY SOMETHING ELSE AND STOP TROLLING HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!

As the owner of the AX8, I appreciate switching to any of the eight stored scenes with one push. For FM3, I'd need to push the switch twice. If you're playing a fast song and you need to switch from scene two to scene seven, for example, at the same time you're singing, you don't have time to double-press the switch. Who would then buy a larger FC12 or FC6 if it was fully replaced by three switches version. Am I right?

As the owner of the AX8, I appreciate switching to any of the eight stored scenes with one push. For FM3, I'd need to push the switch twice. If you're playing a fast song and you need to switch from scene two to scene seven, for example, at the same time you're singing, you don't have time to double-press the switch. Who would then buy a larger FC12 or FC6 if it was fully replaced by three switches version. Am I right?
Then don’t buy it. Is something wrong with the AX8?

to Legend
You don't understand. It is precisely because I am a satisfied owner of AX8 that I want to upgrade the AX8 or buy an improved faster version of it and continue to use this proven model. What's beyond comprehension?

to notalemming

What kind of person are you if you call others trolls just because you don't like something?
You are the one not liking something & putting up multiple posts about it! Anyone with 3rd grade level common sense should be able to figure out that your whining is not going to affect Fractal's product line up one tiny bit!

FYI you can change 4 scenes with just one switch so 2 switches will change to all 8 scenes.

I'm not sure I understand this comment. Are you referring to AX8 function switches or something else? If I can select between 4 scenes using a single switch on my AX8, please elaborate because I'd love to know how to do that. Thanks.

I play 50-60 times a year and I don't have place in my car for a lot of junk. Why buy a rack version to which I have to buy some footcontroler when I can have almost the same in a small portable version. The AX8 is a reasonable compromise between the big 19" version and too small FM3.

To BCy2k
I was referring to one push of the appropriate switch to switch from scene 2 to scene 7. We didn't think it could be done with a single switch. : -)

I've said it before and say it now: FM3 is MEANT to be paired with the FC of your choice... You want improvement over AX8's 11 switch scheme? Then get an FM3 and a FC12 and you'll have more than you had on the AX8 (not that a FC6 wouldn't let you do anything the AX8 already does). Just thinking on the FM3 alone as the 'new' AX8 is a basic misconception at it's best. Yeah, it won't be all-in-one unit solution as the AX8, but that's because it was designed under a new modular approach, simply as that, no need to overthink.

I too was a little disappointed in the form factor of The FM3.. I don't even know if I'll be getting an FM3 yet.. I bought the AxeIII after all ..and I Have an AX8 (nothing wrong with it) ..but .. What Fractal does or doesn’t do, isn’t about You, or I.. What a company does, doesn't have to revolve around individuals who "would rather ...for something else" .. It's not our business after all; and there IS a Real demand for these smaller units.

So ..y'know ..deep breaths.. I'm sure something will come along one day that will tick all your boxes.. Fractal was made aware (via incessant whining - MINE noticeably ;0) …that "some would rather" MONTHS ago – I-mean, we reduced that particular horse to JAM! …So, it's not like Fractal aren't aware of what some “would rather”.

… take it from me. Whining about this shit just ain’t gonna get it done.. So, it’s time to practice a tiny-bit of acceptance on this one.

A lot of people have bought an AX8 just like me and because they don't want change for a smaller model it deserves to be able to buy a more modern version of it. For better understanding, I'll give an example. If you have a favorite big car, you trade it for a small car just because it has a faster engine? : -)

to Mark-B
You're right, of course. I don't want to whine here, I just wanted to point out to Fractal Audio management that they shouldn't forget their loyal owners of older Fractal devices and offer them a more modern full-fledged equivalent and not some minor version.

Sometimes they stop making a certain model of car (and countless other items)..... that’s life

FAS felt a FM3 was preferable over a mkII ax8, it’s their choice to make. Don’t buy it if you dont like it.

to AJ Vargas
The problem is that you expect one compact device for the floor version. Buying more switches to FM3 is not progress but a step backwards. Then it's neither small nor storefront.

to lqdsnddist
Do you believe that when some manufacturers stop making big cars, people trade them for smaller ones from these manufacturers? They will be forced to buy a new big car from another manufacturer. And so it is in everything. A manufacturer that stops listening to its loyal customers only risks being forced to buy new models from competitors.

Back
Top Bottom