Why does the Looper change the tone of the direct sound of the guitar?

Horganovski

Experienced
Bit of a weird one, or possibly pilot error.

I've been using the Looper block in some patches, set as the last block in the chain and I have a couple of pedals set up, one to record/stop and the other, an expression pedal to control the mix value of the looper so that I can mix the loops with the direct sound of the guitar with my foot while playing. I've set up the expression pedal so that fully back is 0% mix and fully forward is 50%, which I assume should mean an even amount of volume for the loops and the direct sound of the guitar. I notice however if I'm just playing the guitar without using the loop and I push the pedal forward the volume of the guitar gets quieter. Why is this? Is there a way to compensate for it? I've tried adjusting the 'Level' of the looper block but that affects the volume disregarding the setting of the mix parameter.

A bug possibly? I would have thought just having a looper mixed in, if it's not generating any sound (ie no loops are playing) shouldn't affect the direct sound of the guitar.
OR is there a different way I should be controlling the level of the loops? (I want to be able to do it on the fly as part of a performance).

Using 15.07 here, Axe FX II XL

Try to put the looper on another line, not passing direct sound. Are you using a mono looper ? If it is in mono and playing back stereo effects the sound will change

this was talked before in the forum. it doesnt really change your tone, it sucks out some volume. i think some where around 2-3 dB...ofcourse if the looper is before your amp block
that will change also your tone...anyways, if turning up the level of looper doesnt work for you i think the other and also the only option is to put the looper in parallel block and mute the dry out...
actually i just repeated the same stuff you and fremen wrote...but maybe it still helps :)

Thanks guys, it's a weird limitation though, no? I would have thought a digital looper should have no effect on the dry signal? I get that a physical pedal version will due to extra cabling (I have a Boss floor unit that does this and I avoid using it for that reason, I hoped the Axe wouldn't have the same problem) but why a digital one?

To clarify I am using it in Stereo.

If I understand correctly - you are suggesting that instead of connecting the last block before the looper to the looper and then the looper to output I should connect that straight to the output and run the looper in parallel instead? Or should I use a mixer and connect the footswitch to the level of the mixer instead?

Thanks guys, it's a weird limitation though, no? I would have thought a digital looper should have no effect on the dry signal? I get that a physical pedal version will due to extra cabling (I have a Boss floor unit that does this and I avoid using it for that reason, I hoped the Axe wouldn't have the same problem) but why a digital one?

To clarify I am using it in Stereo.

If I understand correctly - you are suggesting that instead of connecting the last block before the looper to the looper and then the looper to output I should connect that straight to the output and run the looper in parallel instead? Or should I use a mixer and connect the footswitch to the level of the mixer instead?

It is due to how the mix works. It is the relative volume of dry and wet. A you increase the mix , you are decreasing the guitar level and increasing the loop level.
Run it in parallel, set mix to 100% and control the loop level with the level parameter.

This is an effects that could really use separate wet/dry levels in the block.

Any chance tossing a Volume block in after the looper and tie it's level control to the same expression pedal could help keep a relative balance? Just got up so forgive me if my cobwebs haven't yet cleared, and this makes no sense. ;) Good luck!

Any chance tossing a Volume block in after the looper and tie it's level control to the same expression pedal could help keep a relative balance? Just got up so forgive me if my cobwebs haven't yet cleared, and this makes no sense. ;) Good luck!

It would change the relative volume because it is still being mixed. Parallel routing w/ 100 mix solves the issue.

this was talked before in the forum. it doesnt really change your tone, it sucks out some volume. i think some where around 2-3 dB...ofcourse if the looper is before your amp block
that will change also your tone...anyways, if turning up the level of looper doesnt work for you i think the other and also the only option is to put the looper in parallel block and mute the dry out...
actually i just repeated the same stuff you and fremen wrote...but maybe it still helps :)

When routed in serier, the volume drop between bypass and on is 3db at 50% mix

It is due to how the mix works. It is the relative volume of dry and wet. A you increase the mix , you are decreasing the guitar level and increasing the loop level.
Run it in parallel, set mix to 100% and control the loop level with the level parameter.

This is an effects that could really use separate wet/dry levels in the block.

Thanks that clarifies it for me and yes I agree, it would be simpler if it had wet/dry levels. I can work with the parallel method though.

Thanks for your help guys, off to tweak some patches and get looping :)

Back
Top Bottom