Why does my unit have such low volume through my interface?

rich2k4

Inspired
I have a Scarlett 6i6 2nd gen.

I have the output 1 volume on the FM3 on max, set to stereo. Out1 to inputs 3 and 4 on the scarlett.

I use the preset leveling meters to make sure everything hits right at the red lineor as close as possible.

When I listen to Youtube, or spotify or any audio from my PC, The main master volume knob on my scarlett doesn't need to go past 10-11 o clock.

However when I try to play the FM3 through it, it is very quiet and I can barely hear any details. I have to crank the volume knob on the interface up to 1-2 o clock in order to really hear anything in detail over the strings of my guitar.

By that point the computer audio is extremely loud.

I guess my question is, is this normal? Shouldn't the PC audio and FM3 audio be the same level? I shouldn't have to crank the interface volume to 1-2 o clock just to hear the FM3 should I?

How do you guys have it set up?

I do notice on the interface mixer software that the PC audio is always between -6 to -3 db, while the FM3 always hovers around -12db even with the out1 volume on max, and leveled via the leveling meters.

Use the mixer software to adjust in the input levels from inputs 3 and 4?

Input 3 and 4 do not have gain settings, only inputs 1 and 2 have gain knobs, but I don't want to plug it in to those, and I don't want to add extra gain from the interface.

Are you sure there are no 'pad' or gain settings in the Scarlett software for inputs 3 and 4?

Also, make sure your levels from the FM3 are loud - clipping on the outputs for testing.

Please check the hardware inputs section in the Focusrite Control software, click “+“ to add Analogue 3-4 and adjust the output level. Hope this helps…

I had same feeling with a 2i2 Scarlet but when I have a DAW and one track open for my FM3 I have the volume level where I want.

So most of the time if I use my Scarlet interface I have a Daw session activated (Cubase or Live). Hope this help !

I do notice on the interface mixer software that the PC audio is always between -6 to -3 db, while the FM3 always hovers around -12db even with the out1 volume on max, and leveled via the leveling meters.

That all sounds about right. You've adjusted your preset to have a peak output level of around -12 dB. From what you're saying, you've adjusted your PC level to be higher than that, so you should expect it to be louder.

FWIW, you might find you'll get better results if you use spdif. In addition to better fidelity and lower latency, you'll avoid some level balancing hassles.

That all sounds about right. You've adjusted your preset to have a peak output level of around -12 dB. From what you're saying, you've adjusted your PC level to be higher than that, so you should expect it to be louder.

FWIW, you might find you'll get better results if you use spdif. In addition to better fidelity and lower latency, you'll avoid some level balancing hassles.

I didn't adjust anything for the PC audio. That's how it comes out with default settings.

I didn't adjust anything for the PC audio. That's how it comes out with default settings.

RIght, but that's the level you're sending from whatever apps are producing audio. You haven't described anything that you should find surprising.

Use the computers audio level or the USB 1/2 Playback Level in the Axe III (SETUP>I/O>USB) to compensate. No rule that either needs to be at 100%, that's why there are level controls.

Use the computers audio level or the USB 1/2 Playback Level in the Axe III (SETUP>I/O>USB) to compensate. No rule that either needs to be at 100%, that's why there are level controls.
He’s sending computer audio to his 6i6, not the fm3, but your point is correct: use the Focusrite Control app to balance the levels.

In any case, the answer to his question about whether anything is wrong is "no". For additional details, see the recording guide:
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/axe-fx-for-the-recording-musician.177592/

I have the 4i4 3rd gen, I think you're doing something wrong here. Here are my settings:

1. FM3 output set to +4
2. FM3 preset leveled to be right at 0db
3. FM3 output maxed.
4. Scarlett Input 3/4 input maxed (this is set in Focusrite Control)
5. Software play back at default (around -3, this is set in the Focusrite Control).

Every thing balanced when tracking in the DAW or playing with backing tracks on Youtube.

I have the 4i4 3rd gen, I think you're doing something wrong here. Here are my settings:

1. FM3 output set to +4
2. FM3 preset leveled to be right at 0db
3. FM3 output maxed.
4. Scarlett Input 3/4 input maxed (this is set in Focusrite Control)
5. Software play back at default (around -3, this is set in the Focusrite Control).

Every thing balanced when tracking in the DAW or playing with backing tracks on Youtube.

so in the following image you bring the circled slider all the way to the top? Doesn't that increase noise? If you leave things at default, do your patches hit at -12 db?

https://ibb.co/n837MJn

If your DAW input meter is reading -12 dB for your FM3 input, everything is correct and there is no problem that needs fixing. That’s the dBFS level that corresponds to the 0 dB reading in the FM3 output block meter. And you should expect that will be lower than the levels you’ll see when playing mixed and mastered music from your computer.

If your DAW input meter is reading -12 dB for your FM3 input, everything is correct and there is no problem that needs fixing. That’s the dBFS level that corresponds to the 0 dB reading in the FM3 output block meter. And you should expect that will be lower than the levels you’ll see when playing mixed and mastered music from your computer.
that may be fine for recording but I like to play live through my monitors.

turn the computer level down in the interface, and increase the master volume of the interface.

playing a live instrument close to clipping is not the best for the gear. -12 dB is a great amount of headroom and you can get very loud levels with that.

that may be fine for recording but I like to play live through my monitors.
As Chris says, it has nothing to do with recording or live. The reason the level vu meter in the FM3 output block turns red above 0 dB is because you are in danger of clipping when your levels are in that range, regardless of how you are using your FM3. In other words, there is nothing wrong with your output level.

If you are in any way unsure about any of this, I would recommend using spdif into your 6i6. That eliminates any uncertainty about levels.

so in the following image you bring the circled slider all the way to the top? Doesn't that increase noise? If you leave things at default, do your patches hit at -12 db?

https://ibb.co/n837MJn

"Doesn't it increase noise?" I mean...it makes any noise coming from the FM3 louder, but self noise? Haven't noticed any. I have no idea if it would be -12db at default, the settings I provided are the "proper" signal in my scenario which I set up on day 1 and haven't touched since.

Back
Top Bottom