Why does my output clip so soon with certain amps?

That's weird. No matter how hard you play, the CLR should be able to keep up.

For most volume:
- crank the Axe-Fx's front output knob
- set the CLR's Input Gain to just before clipping
- turn up its Master all the way (never mind the Speaker Limiter Indication).

This should damage your ears, the bandmembers', and all of your family too, except those who emigrated.

BTW, the on-the-floor position is the least recommended one. Try putting it on a chair, table, whatever, and switch it to FF.

is cranking the output from the axe-fx any different then setting it to say half and raise the input of the clr just before clippping?

ok, cool. I suppose that if there isn't any problem in having the axe output cranked it is easier and more precise than having to remember in what position is your output knob.

Output 1 is maxed for me. I always know where it should be then

As others have mentioned, values of around -20 are not uncommon in the Amp Block Level parameter across presets though

ok, cool. I suppose that if there isn't any problem in having the axe output cranked it is easier and more precise than having to remember in what position is your output knob.

Depends on the amplification device though.
The Axe has a very high output level.
Having the front knob cranked can clip the input stage of some amps, in particular those which do not have an input control.

It's the bass. Put a filter block right before the master output and cut out everything below like 100-120Hz. You'll be shocked at how much louder you'll be able to turn up. You will feel like you'll be able to shatter windows and kill small animals with that CLR of yours.

Unless your drummer is winding up and slamming his loudest cymbals as hard as he can on every beat, you should be able to hear yourself pretty clearly.

Last edited:
you could just turn the sub switch on in the clr, to filter anything below 120Hz. If I'm not mistaken that is what it does

See the CLR manual for proper gain staging. If you're overloading the input (Input on the CLR too high), sound will suffer or a limiter will be applied.

The CLR is a FRFR amp. If you need extra low end, you need to dial that in through your presets, not by changing the operation mode of the CLR. The on-the-floor (BL) mode BTW is the least "FRFR" mode of the CLR.

Don't use the BL mode when placing the CLR on a chair, use the FR mode.

Do you mean that the CLR must stay on a chair when used live FRFR for your own monitoring? That would look very ugly on stage...

Yes, and the chair must be made of wood, brown and have 4 legs.

IIRC there's a lot of bass in that model. And bass frequencies tend to boost the signal level a lot. Especially when using humbuckers.

Anyway, just decrease Amp level. That doesn't affect tone or gain. Adjusting Input Trim however does.

P.S. Seriously, I don't understand the problems users have with clipping. It's just a matter of setting and maintaining a "safe" margin right from the start.
There's no benefit at all to setting preset levels close to clipping. Just decrease (Amp) level in all presets and compensate by turning up the front panel knob.

I think the main reason why people have problems with output clipping is because they tend to dial in their gain channels first which have more headroom and don't clip as easily.

Then when you try and match the volume of a clean preset to the gain preset you realize that you have to turn the gain preset WAY down to match the level of a safe non clipping preset.

This does get a bit time consuming when you have to keep going through your all your presets and lowering the gain presets.
Then if for some reason you decide to use another clean amp that has even less headroom and won't get as loud as the last one, then you have to go back through all the presets AGAIN and lower them.

One time I tried just lowering the clean preset a fair amount below clipping in order to accomodate for any other near clipping presets and avoid this problem.
BUT...then I was maxing out my RCF in order to get to gig volume. This should not be the case at all.

I started playing with compression and other setting to get more volume out of my clean presets. That really helped.

Reactions: yek
I have a few presets where my Amp level is -31 dB and others where it's at -8 dB and others still where it's at 0 dB.
seems like some amps are just really quiet while others just roar.

either way I don't set them by the values, I set them so all my presets are equal level with one another.

on a second note, In my experience and opinion after owning a pair of CLR's for nearly a year in a gigging classic metal and hard rock cover band, CLR's, while yes they can pump the volume, they are still only monitors. Especially if you are in a loud rock/metal band, they are not designed to "fill the room." In my scenario, we have a monitor rig where every band member has their own wedge, and we use it even for rehearsals. It's way more pleasing to be able to only hear what you want and never having to be louder than the drums in the room. If you want to compete with In the room and fill the room, get a guitar cab, it's what they are designed for.

Yes, and the chair must be made of wood, brown and have 4 legs.
Then Atomic should get some inspiration to match their monitors to the furnitures...
13081514502432.jpg

there is just no way you can be using 2 CLR's at full tilt and not blowing people off the stage. I have one, on the floor tilted towards me, my axe output at noon, clr input at just before clipping and master at about 11 o'clock.....and I am loud on stage.

i'm wondering if it's really a volume issue or if it's a dispersion issue? are you used to open back cabs filling the stage?

Back
Top Bottom