Why does everything I play sound muddy?

I'm getting my Axe-Fx III on Monday, so I'm going to do some recording with it and will post clips if I still have issues with tones being muddy.

So far the Axe-Fx III sounds a lot better and has a lot more clarity. When I first powered it on I got stuck on the first preset for over an hour. It sounds so good. It has huge dynamics and has the perfect amount of grit but still retains note definition. I used the Axe-Fx III to jam with my drummer and most of the Factory presets sound amazing! I'm hoping to have some time this weekend to compare my Axe-Fx II presets with the Axe-Fx III to figure out why everything I've done previously sounded muddy.

Yeah, I’d look your input level. Are you red all the time? The pickups on my Strat are pretty hot, custom shop standard issue, and I started messing with the input level. I had to dial mine back to around 8 o’clock. The cleans are cleaner now.

Yeah, I’d look your input level. Are you red all the time? The pickups on my Strat are pretty hot, custom shop standard issue, and I started messing with the input level. I had to dial mine back to around 8 o’clock. The cleans are cleaner now.
The Input level does NOT affect gain or volume. It is for optimization of the A/D converters only.

I never said it did anything to the gain. I just said it made the clean cleaner. Try pushing your input on a clean channel and see what you get.

I never said it did anything to the gain. I just said it made the clean cleaner. Try pushing your input on a clean channel and see what you get.
Read what I said again... It doesn't affect the audio signal. Only extreme low values (<5%) could affect that.

It can't make it "cleaner"...

Unless you are not talking about the Global Input Level setting?

Well, I guess my ears are fooling me then. I have hot pickups. When the input is at noon, my clean channel has a little “hair” on it. When I pull the input way back, it goes away.

Well, I guess my ears are fooling me then. I have hot pickups. When the input is at noon, my clean channel has a little “hair” on it. When I pull the input way back, it goes away.
I dunno... You can check the manual. Search for "Input Level"... The first mention in the manual describes this. It's been discussed many times.

Back
Top Bottom