Why does everything I play sound muddy?

I did some searching after posting, and found a quote from Seymour Duncan saying that Eddie told people he was winding his own but it was Duncan... No idea the truth ;)

Well I bet the story about the quote was true, and I'd believe Duncan before Eddie, but Eddie'll probably take it to his grave. I do know the single coil pup he had in his Frankenstrat was not wired to anything.

It would seem that what you consider low gain pickups I would consider medium, and what I would consider low would be most single coils. Gilmour would fall into this catagory, but he's been using EMG's so they don't really count.

People keep saying that, probably in no small part because EMG keeps on advertizing it, but Gilmour has long since ditched his actives and returned to passives, preferring a combo of high gain Seymour Duncan and lower gain Fender pups.

If all else fails, sell everything and get the Axe III, the last processor you'll ever need. ;):rolleyes: ;)

I reckon they said the same thing about the XL+, before the III came out. ;):D

Yeah he had the winding machine and the whole nine yards, was quite ocd about it. I guess it was a little hotter than an average PAF, idk... He was always so coy early on about his gear like it was a huge secret.

Of course. :rolleyes:

Of course back then he could be secretive, as there was no internet for EVH fanboys to share everything they knew about his gear. Internet has really changed the way you can keep your guitar rig a secret. All it takes is one fan with his cell phone camera in one unguarded moment and BOOM! All your secrets are out. No wonder that even The Edge has nowadays consented to a rig rundown.

If all that gear produces the same results, it’s either how you are perceiving things, the actual room, or something else fundamentally common. There’s no way all of that stuff has a problem when used in different setups.

Record a tone you think is muddy and let us hear it.

I'll use my Axe-Fx II XL+ as the USB audio interface and a few different guitars and include the dry and re-amped tracks.

Is there a specific factory preset I should use, so we're comparing apples to apples?

Where do you keep all this, Wrigley Field? There's something amiss at the Circle K today...

I actually have a few more basses and a lot more guitars. I keep them all in cases lined up against a 12ft wall in my music room. Hi, my name is Lou and I'm a guitaroholic. I also like to dabble in recording gear. It's been almost 2 months since I purchased a guitar but I feel like I could relapse at any moment :cool:

I'll use my Axe-Fx II XL+ as the USB audio interface and a few different guitars and include the dry and re-amped tracks.

Is there a specific factory preset I should use, so we're comparing apples to apples?
No we need to hear your result independent of what anything else sounds like.

Then we’ll comment on it and see if our thoughts line up with yours.

I actually have a few more basses and a lot more guitars. I keep them all in cases lined up against a 12ft wall in my music room. Hi, my name is Lou and I'm a guitaroholic. I also like to dabble in recording gear. It's been almost 2 months since I purchased a guitar but I feel like I could relapse at any moment :cool:

Where's the two thumbs up button I like this guy. :D Nice to meet ya Lou, Dave here, and I am a guitaroholic too. 2 months? Hang in there brother, I feel your pain. Ok lets hear that track. :)

Listening to "Petrucci's" Dream Theater right now, the song is Erotomania, the guitar solo in the instrumental, I think he's playing thru the neck pickup tho so naturally it's going to have some mud.

I am just wondering, when you listen to music through your monitors in your room, does it sound muddy?

Loop a track you like and play along using a similar amp model and cab ir. Altering preamp gain, master volume, bass, mid, and treble, you should be able to get in the sonic ballpark with the loop without it sounding muddy.

I am just wondering, when you listen to music through your monitors in your room, does it sound muddy?

Loop a track you like and play along using a similar amp model and cab ir. Altering preamp gain, master volume, bass, mid, and treble, you should be able to get in the sonic ballpark with the loop without it sounding muddy.

Hey Doc :) No it sounds great, I'm using Presonus Sceptre 8's, oh wait you're talking to the OP aren't ya? Nevermind. :confused:

Hey btw I've always wanted to do that but haven't figured it out yet. How do I loop a track?

Its nearly 4 in the morning, Who's paying attention, besides, it is on topic. If looping a track will help the OP and he doesnt know how to do it either, than I think it goes without saying. It's also not like @dr bonkers and I rehersed this.

Last edited:
Reduce gain, reduce reverb, reduce delay, add a little smoothing/de-phase in cab block. Use a ts808 drive in front of amp with gain set to 0. Adjust your pickup height (lower). Some cabs are darker than others. Ownhammer has some great irs with clarity.
Even with lowish input gain, master volume too high things can get muddy. There are sweet spots for each.

Reduce gain, reduce reverb, reduce delay, add a little smoothing/de-phase in cab block. Use a ts808 drive in front of amp with gain set to 0. Adjust your pickup height (lower). Some cabs are darker than others. Ownhammer has some great irs with clarity.
Even with lowish input gain, master volume too high things can get muddy. There are sweet spots for each.
Did the reducing the master volume thing the other day and it sound way better. Didn’t have to play with other settings. One little tweak and there ya go.

if he's saying he hears clarity in videos/recordings but not his tones, it's obviously not hearing loss/issues or everything would be muffled

Back
Top Bottom