Why does axe act up.. or is it my presets?

Billbill

Power User
Please read it all, it gets sorta strange.

Hey guys so earlier today while tweaking a few presets (FW 603),I noticed that after tweaking one preset, I would go to another one and there was all of a sudden way too much bass!!! I couldn't even play anything because my low string made it sound like the speakers would explode!!! The three presets I was working on, when I initially built them I just pretty much copy and pasted each one preset by preset then would tweak individually as time went on. As I was tweaking last night I went back to the other preset and whoa!. way too much bass was there. This never happened before and I don't know why I have tweaked these pres many times and this never happened I don't use any global blocks just amp cab compressor GEQ drive and that's about it. I even tried to restart the axe, my cab and axe edit but that didn't work. So I went on tweaking one preset in about a half hour later I went back to the ones that were now bassey/boomy but were now normal sounding again.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before ?? it's almost as if the axe got confused while constantly switching presets back-and-forth maybe and certain settings were applied to the preset I switched to? This is very strange just wondering if anyone else out there has experience this ?

Sounds to me like something is being activated (or bypassed) by MIDI. Cables might be wonky. If you disconnect your patch changing method (MFC, etc)...whatever that is, and just do it based off of turning the dial, does it happen? I'm guessing not.

If it doesn't...points to cables or at worse a bad FASLink or MIDI port.

I'm not using an MFC just my Mac, and while tweaking, I was switching presets back and forth with the axe dial AND sometimes in axe edit. And Chris, there's nothing to upload because it seemed to resolve itself for now. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this before. It really bogged me down for about 15 min.

Please read it all, it gets sorta strange.

Hey guys so earlier today while tweaking a few presets (FW 603),I noticed that after tweaking one preset, I would go to another one and there was all of a sudden way too much bass!!! I couldn't even play anything because my low string made it sound like the speakers would explode!!! The three presets I was working on, when I initially built them I just pretty much copy and pasted each one preset by preset then would tweak individually as time went on. As I was tweaking last night I went back to the other preset and whoa!. way too much bass was there. This never happened before and I don't know why I have tweaked these pres many times and this never happened I don't use any global blocks just amp cab compressor GEQ drive and that's about it. I even tried to restart the axe, my cab and axe edit but that didn't work. So I went on tweaking one preset in about a half hour later I went back to the ones that were now bassey/boomy but were now normal sounding again.
Has anyone ever experienced anything like this before ?? it's almost as if the axe got confused while constantly switching presets back-and-forth maybe and certain settings were applied to the preset I switched to? This is very strange just wondering if anyone else out there has experience this ?

This happened to me last night. All my presets suddenly became boomy and overly distorted, (the wrong kind), like there was too much input gain or something. Bearing in mind all my presets were fine before this and I had made no adjuistments whatsoever. I'm on the latest firmware, and this is the first time I've experienced anything like it. I closed everything down, and I'll go back to it tonight to see if the problem still exists. Bizarre.

This happened to me last night. All my presets suddenly became boomy and overly distorted, (the wrong kind), like there was too much input gain or something. Bearing in mind all my presets were fine before this and I had made no adjuistments whatsoever. I'm on the latest firmware, and this is the first time I've experienced anything like it. I closed everything down, and I'll go back to it tonight to see if the problem still exists. Bizarre.
When this happened to me I restarted everything but it was still sounding jacked up but after some jamming on other presets, I went back to my custom presets and everything was fine! Weird! Let me know what happens next time you fire up your axe.

When this happened to me I restarted everything but it was still sounding jacked up but after some jamming on other presets, I went back to my custom presets and everything was fine! Weird! Let me know what happens next time you fire up your axe.

Just fired it up again. same thing. Boomy and distorted. I re-installed my last bank of presets from when it was fine, but this didn't fix things. I thought it might be an issue with the cab block, but everything checks out. I can alleviate the issue somewhat by rolling off the volume on my guitar, but in fairness I've never had to do that before to 'clean up' an already clean preset. I tried different guitars too. Also I thought it might be my mixer / monitors playing up, so I plugged my headphones into the headphone jack on the Axe, again, all boomy and distorted. I'll be glad to see (or hear) the back of this issue if and when it ever solves itself. It's most peculiar.

Update: problem solved, by removing 'quite a lot' of bass from my presets.
My theory is that the last firmware update/s have made the amp modelling so much more accurate that they are more sensitive to low frequencies, in effect the amp block EQs react a lot more like its real life counterpart.
Funny that a few days ago everything seemed okay, but all of a sudden without altering anything this has become apparent. Oh well, onwards.....

Reactions: Rex
Update: problem solved, by removing 'quite a lot' of bass from my presets.
My theory is that the last firmware update/s have made the amp modelling so much more accurate that they are more sensitive to low frequencies, in effect the amp block EQs react a lot more like its real life counterpart.
Funny that a few days ago everything seemed okay, but all of a sudden without altering anything this has become apparent. Oh well, onwards.....
Thanks for the update but I was under the impression that nothing changed. U updated FW and having to retweak your pres is expected and quite common actually. In my initial post, nothing changed, not even FW!

Back
Top Bottom