Why Does Air in Cabs Affect Headphones Only? Not FRFR.

darrenw5094

Certified Bug Hunter
Anyone that has tried the Axe with headphones probably will know in the cabs, there is a section 'ROOM' where there is a Air parameter which affects the sound dramatically. It makes the overall tone more open sounding with just one dial.

Why does Fractal not make this to be as affective with the outputs to FRFR speakers? Is it not possible?

On second thoughts, it does do a bit of 'openness' that i am looking for. Not as dramatic as the headphones, maybe it's the speaker size or something.

After 7 or 8 months i am finally getting to grips with dialing in my particular tones. :)

A food for your thoughts:
Does a piece of music sound the same on your headphones and "frfr"?

What headphones and "frfr"?

The FRFR is the Atomic Reactor and the heads are non expensive Sony's.

Obviously you can make a presets that sounds the same on both, but there is a huge difference when you change the 'Air' values on the heads.

Obviously you can make a presets that sounds the same on both, but there is a huge difference when you change the 'Air' values on the heads.

Atomic reactor is why you don't hear as much.
Not really the cleanest frfr.

Atomic CLR and RCF nx12.....air makes a big difference.

A bit of off-topic here but can you guys share some cool "air" settings that work with you? Is the "air" parameter something that you would use on almost every distorted guitar tone?

It is really due to the isolation of headphones. The air parameter actually just aDds dry signaL to the cab mix. The isolation of headphones makes this addition more apparent. More radical changes will be needed as you will hear your guitar strings, room reflections and dispersion differently when using frfr and headphones

what are your tweeter levels set at on the Reactor?

if the Air gets you closer to your sound, then you havent found the IR that you are looking for.

keep looking

This is something I've definitely noticed since ultra res. Some of the IR's definitely have this feeling/tone. Maybe checkout some of the free TAF room mixes...

Back
Top Bottom