Why do some people like to be so negative?

Guitarjon

Fractal Fanatic
Or is it me?

This is just something that I have been thinking about for a while.
Life is so much fun if you try to focus on positive things or things that make you happy.
I mean, I don't listen to Justin Bieber because it's not my kind of music but I don't go on the internet to spread my negative feelings about him.
I don't even spend time analysing what could possibly be wrong about him.

I happen to enjoy listening to a band called Nickelback, I simply enjoy listening to their music.
It's just a shame that every time I read about this band it's people complaing and being hateful.
Such a waste of energy.
As a matter of fact, I'm getting tired now, not used to being so negative and it doesn't feel good.

Anyway, just some examples but you know what I mean right?
Why? Is it simple human nature?

The Internet gave a perfect platform for complaining. It's always easier to complain than give praise.

And with "usernames" or "handles" I can call myself "rocker678" and say anything I want without any consequences "in real life."

I don't like what you like, I like what I like - Joe Satriani

I'm glad that you have your opinion, but realize others have theirs too! Many are not kind with their critiques and it is worse on the interwebs. People say things that they would never say face to face. I'm glad you're not a hater. Be a good example. Woot!

Yea this has really been getting to me lately. On here and with some of my metal friends who are a bit elitist when it comes to music or even my axe lol. Funny thing they'd always give me looks when j said I got one and when they came over they both said it was the first time they ever saw one. Too bad it was too late to test it out for them.

It's funny though because when I hang with them it seems like they complain more about the music they don't like then talk about the album's they do enjoy.

On here its confusing to me (at least concerning the new firmware). Seems like they just love to complain. It's not like anyone's forcing them to upgrade.

Last edited:
It isn't that they like to be negative, it is that they don't not like being negative. For them, it is normal. Incivility, immaturity, ego. Whatever. You're hopefully not like them, so don't let it bother you.

Speaking from experience (I'm a therapist) so much goes into play. The Internet becomes a scapegoat for things that would not otherwise be possible. For instance, I can't got to work and realistically tell my supervisor to fuck off but somehow I can use the Internet to be a prick.

The Internet has become an outlet for so many people. Other than cyber bullying, terrorism, and pedophilia; there are hardly any repercussions to what is posted and said.

In other situations, it's a perfect place for people who might be narcissist, diagnosed with border line personality etc.....

I can go on rants about these topics.

What I find comical is that good percentage justify their actions by saying, "Aren't I entitled to an opinion"....

To be honest, there's a fine line between given your opinion respectfully even if seeking debate and just being a dick.

Much easier to be the ladder

Just my 2 cents

i take it this came from the other thread in the main discussion.
for what it's worth, it shouldn't be a surprise that different people respond to different events differently.
that's what makes us unique, not necessarily negative (unless negative means opposite of how one thinks the other should behave)
just because someone is not as excited as me, it doesn't necessarily mean he/she is negative, i would just accept it that in his/her current state of mind, the event is not so big a deal.
there will be times when i will fail to see what the fuss is all about when someone else is going all ape-crazy.
i don't let it get to me.
live and let live.
walk a mile in his shoe.
smokem peace pipe.
dance with your shadow.
smile at strangers.
laugh with children.
be the positive one.

This thread is bumming me out and pissing me off, man.

:)

OK, seriously : complaining and finding fault are often merely bad habits. That can be an easy trap to fall into by accident, and focusing on the negative can blind us to good things all around us. Sometimes that behavior is deliberate emotional manipulation of other people - trolling to get a rise out of someone, then ridiculing their anger. As a generally positive, easy-going human, I just step over the poop on the sidewalk and keep on walking.

By and large, this community is one of the most positive, and inclusive forums I've ever been part of.

Last edited:
Without getting too heavy about it... I can be one of the most cynical SOB's around and at times I'm can even be proud to call myself an asshole and to be honest... it'e kind of fun at times. It's in our family genes...lol... but on the flip side I DO know better than what I am capable of from more pessimistic point of view. I'm a firm believer in not allowing people, circumstances dictate how I react... easier said than done sometimes but (for me) the push is about growing and moving forward even to attain a smidgen of the ideology.

So if I come of as a dick sometimes here on the forum, that's because I am... but I'm a nice dick. :D

Jon thanks for the post. It at least gets us to think about it. Even for a moment or two. You never know. :encouragement:

The flip side is that online, folks can express their honest feelings about things. The real world has become so PC with so many over sensitive types, that it is not even close to being the real world!

It may depress you a bit, but maybe the online world is a lot closer to how folks really feel about things.........

Oh yeah..... Nickleback definitely do suck(I like their song Rockstar though).

Oh, I get it. This is about some of the complaints regarding the changes of G3. I say, bring it on! I love it.

Now, to make more time in my day.

It all comes back to the human condition being composed, by and large, of despair. At the basest level this is because we have no control over our mortality. So, in this much much smaller cyber universe, it's hard to resist the draw to "rage against the dying of the light" on whatever random topic irks us. It's something small that we feel like we can control (even though we usually still can't) because we're always going to find other people that are up on the same soapbox complaining about the same thing. It unites us in a big swirling negative group think tornado.

I've been trying really hard to do this less and less, because, while there are certain things that are deserving of rage, the amount of things that people devote huge amounts of negative energy toward vastly outpaces the number of things that actually deserve it.

I can understand giving an honest review of something that you bought, listened to, or other things along those lines. The problem I have is with the people that go out of their way (primarily on Facebook) to belittle, demean, berate, etc. fans of a certain band, magazine, video game system, etc. If you don't like a certain __________, then why did "like" the page or why are you a fan? Do you honestly have nothing better to do with your time than to antagonize other people just because they like something you can't stand? Maybe the only thing those type of people love is trying to destroy what other's find enjoyment in due to their own emptiness or lack of happiness.

in the wize words of taylor swift (*cough*), haters gunna hate

Let me take your mind off it

1281669205.jpg

Back
Top Bottom