Why do some modelers have a 12AX7 tube and why doesn't the Axe?

My first modeler was the Digitech BP8 for my bass about a hundred years ago. It had a 12AX7 tube in it. Since then, some products/pedals have at least 1 tube. I assume this is to add that tube "warmth," right? To decrease the digital-ness of digital gear. Curious why the Axe doesn't have one. Is it because having one pre-determined/installed tube would limit things too much? Create too much heat? Just unnecessary with the level of quality of modeling?
That “tube“ is just marketing........

The Yamaha THR "GLOWS WITH FAUX TUBE FURY". Why the Axe-FX III doesn't have faux tube glow? That blue light is so cold and digital

But the crucial question is: would it toast a marshmallow?

https://www.cnet.com/news/yamaha-thr-guitar-amp-glows-with-faux-tube-fury/

thr10-3.jpg

The tube “warmth” in most of those devices is coming from an amber LED behind the tube giving it an unrealistic glow. It’s aesthetics and marketing

Is this close enough for blue tube glow?
1517917530_IMG_940944.jpg

Had a triamp. Loved it. Sounded great and had plenty of comments on how cool it looked.

But it was like an anvil with tubes to carry around.

To the original question: I had many other preamps that had a tube in it, they never sounded 1/2 as good as the Axe even in its first iteration. It was a cool marketing thing...and I bit too.

The last time I fell for that, it was the ART SGX-2000 :)

It was pretty decent but no doubt that it was not really the result of that 12ax7 tube.

The last time I fell for that, it was the ART SGX-2000 :)

It was pretty decent but no doubt that it was not really the result of that 12ax7 tube.

Me too. The ART SGX-2000 was my last modeler with a marketing tube until I moved to the Boss GX-700, then to the Boss GT-Pro, then to the Axe-FX Standard, etc.

I've been using several pre-amps with tubes, though (JMP-1, Triaxis, Egnater M4) but these were high quality preamps, not modellers with a marketing tube. Not needed anymore since the Axe-FX Ultra.

There's plenty of still tube driven stomp drives out there. The ones that want tubes, just try 'em out!

OMG, I should start to sell away some stomp boosts...

Back
Top Bottom