Why do people criticize guitar covers or band covers?

No one in a bar is going to hear you go off-book and want to know more about the talented and amazing guitar dude no one knows playing in the cover band that just fucked up the iconic classic solo from the song that’s been near and dear to their heart since they were a kid/won the big game/got that first handy in the car in high school from ole whats-her-name.

The job of a cover band is to get the job done. You are there to provide a product. The people want Transformers, not Go-Bots. Your individual achievement in guitar is not welcome.

Sorry bud that’s cold, tough love.
Nah, it's just your opinion. Worth every penny paid for it....
:)

Nah, it's just your opinion. Worth every penny paid for it....
:)
Just because the truth hurts, seems inconceivable, or just doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it so. If you're in a cover band, no one in the bar has heard of you, and no one cares. They'll forget your name 5 seconds after you say it (after every song).

The cover band:
A - interrupted the music with jibba jabba no one's really listening to.
B - Is just a backdrop for the evenings effort getting into the unmentionables of that little bitty if homeboy can get her away from her three ugly friends that insist it's "girls night".

In order to accept this truth, one must stop thinking of the scene from the standpoint of the band member and start thinking from the perspective of the typical patron. It's only in your head that it's your moment in the spotlight.

If a ticket wasn't purchased for the purposes of seeing your band (or at least one of the other bands you're playing with that night), no one cares.

I figure the band that wrote it already played it the way it was recorded, so I don't need to. I prefer to do my own take on most covers when I do the cover thing, which isn't often. Too much of a time suck for the limited rewards to that type of gig.

That wasn’t really a cover though, just like Jimi’s “All Along the Watchtower” wasn’t really a cover, either. It was a complete reworking of the theme, not the song.
Depends on your definition of cover. I'm pretty sure SRV had to have permission from the Hendrix estate or pay royalties to whoever owns the rights to release it though. Same name, same theme, same melodies: it's a cover to me.

Just because the truth hurts, seems inconceivable, or just doesn't fit your narrative doesn't make it so. If you're in a cover band, no one in the bar has heard of you, and no one cares. They'll forget your name 5 seconds after you say it (after every song).

The cover band:
B - Is just a backdrop for the evenings effort getting into the unmentionables of that little bitty if homeboy can get her away from her three ugly friends that insist it's "girls night".

In order to accept this truth, one must stop thinking of the scene from the standpoint of the band member and start thinking from the perspective of the typical patron. It's only in your head that it's your moment in the spotlight.

If a ticket wasn't purchased for the purposes of seeing your band (or at least one of the other bands you're playing with that night), no one cares.
Again, your opinion, and worth every penny paid for it. You have no authority in my world.

I play in a cover band that for the most part does our own interpretations of songs. Our instrumentation does not match that of most of the bands we cover, so it'd be a fool's errand to try to replicate songs exactly. (Or very limiting to only play songs by bands with our instrumentation.) We have electric guitar, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass (not stand-up), and a minimalist drum kit (kick, snare, 2 cymbals and a hi-hat). But we consistently get good feedback from the audience about our versions of their favorite songs. We try to capture the signature licks (the parts people remember about a song) but may take other liberties with arrangements, chord voicings, and so on. In the case of truly iconic guitar parts, I try to copy those as accurately as I can, but I may also add my own things after playing the parts the audience expects to hear.

Our arrangement of Comfortably Numb is a good example of our "approach". For the verses and choruses, the acoustic guitar is the chord bed, and the electric covers the keys. The first guitar solo is played by our bass player, note-for-note. The second guitar solo is electric guitar. I play it note-for-note per the studio album version, but then I take off and run another minute or two playing my own mash-up of Gilmour-ish stuff. We haven't had any complaints about this approach yet.

I play in a cover band that for the most part does our own interpretations of songs. Our instrumentation does not match that of most of the bands we cover, so it'd be a fool's errand to try to replicate songs exactly. (Or very limiting to only play songs by bands with our instrumentation.) We have electric guitar, acoustic guitar, acoustic bass (not stand-up), and a minimalist drum kit (kick, snare, 2 cymbals and a hi-hat). But we consistently get good feedback from the audience about our versions of their favorite songs. We try to capture the signature licks (the parts people remember about a song) but may take other liberties with arrangements, chord voicings, and so on. In the case of truly iconic guitar parts, I try to copy those as accurately as I can, but I may also add my own things after playing the parts the audience expects to hear.

Our arrangement of Comfortably Numb is a good example of our "approach". For the verses and choruses, the acoustic guitar is the chord bed, and the electric covers the keys. The first guitar solo is played by our bass player, note-for-note. The second guitar solo is electric guitar. I play it note-for-note per the studio album version, but then I take off and run another minute or two playing my own mash-up of Gilmour-ish stuff. We haven't had any complaints about this approach yet.
This. ^^^ Right here. ^^^

People are there to see a live band, even if the music is cover tunes. Whether they consider it a backdrop for getting into someone's pants or whatever, if they want exact replication of every little detail, that's what the jukebox is for. :)

Im talking about the ones the did a great performance, but when improvisation is added specially on the solo parts people start criticizing because it missed some notes or it didnt sounded like the original. isn't what covers all about? be original and improvise if you can?

If you try to play the song as is, then the solo should be played as is as well. No improvisation allowed. Don't like it, don't do it that way. If you want to improvise the solo, play a loose version of the song, like you just learned it 15 minutes before the show started, because you will get compared to the original and people will be more forgiving with a casual rendition, or a complete reinterpretation then with one which tries to have its cake and eat it. If I hear a cover of a song and the band really nails it, only for the lead guitarist to improvise the solo, it completely ruins it for me. Makes me think like he couldn't do it so he didn't even try. Fingers in the shape of an L on his forehead. Now if he added a solo where there wasn't one, well, I could live with that. But if you try to play the song as is, no improvisation allowed.

Hmm.

You ask, "Why do people criticize...?"

Well, firstly because they're humans, and humans do that kind of thing. :rolleyes:

Secondly, because they may not have the same expectations that you have, re: covers. The idea you express ("isn't what covers all about? be original and improvise if you can?") is exactly the kind of thing a creative musician tends to say. But a club owner who's just trying to keep the patrons happy (so they keep buying drinks) doesn't care about that at all. If "be original and improvise if you can" keeps the patrons buying, he would subscribe to your idea. But maybe it doesn't. If "make it sound exactly like the radio cut playing in the background" makes the patrons happier and spendy-er, then the club owner will prefer that approach.

Thirdly, because the kind of person who even notices the improvisation and the originality is not a normal audience-member. He is more likely to be a "close listener," who is more analytical than a typical audience-member. And with that kind of listener, you run three (interrelated) risks:
1. He may know the original note-for-note, tone-for-tone, and be anticipating a particular passage he especially loves. If he doesn't hear it, he'll be disappointed.
2. He may not, as a matter of taste, prefer the changes you make over the original. After comparing them in his mind, he may be disappointed that you didn't (in his own opinion) improve upon the original, but merely detracted from it.
3. He may be a musician, or someone able to tell whether your version requires more or less skill than the original. If he suspects that the reason you departed from the original is because you don't have the skill to play the original, he'll be disappointed because it makes him aware he's listening to an inferior musician. (This applies even if you, yourself, are actually quite good.)

None of that means you have to surrender to these other persons' viewpoints and play every cover note-for-note.

It just means that you shouldn't be surprised if they aren't perfectly thrilled, when you opt to follow the instincts of a creative musician, and they weren't expecting you to do so.

P.S. One way to overcome the disappointment of the "close listener" is to play both the original solo and your own personalized extension of it, increasing its overall length. (Alternatively, you can play the original solo during the bridge, but take an outro solo that you customize.) By doing this, you assure the "close listener" that you're not departing from the original due to inferior skill, but only because you have at least as much skill as the original artist, plus some additional "things to say." (But make sure your additions are "tasty!")

100% agree. I might add that being a creative musician is fine and dandy if you play original music, and then both the audience and the venue owner will expect this and welcome it. But when you play covers commercially your creativity comes from trying to nail the sound, spirit and note for note performance of that song.

IMHO - 2 greatest cover songs ever recorded -
No Quarter - TOOL
Astronomy Domine - Voi Vod

I'm kind of somewhere in the middle - I think covers are great - I think they can be exceptional when they are slightly rearranged...
You won't hear me complaining about people that do covers - note for note is great - rearranged is great.

Rearranging and reinterpreting songs is great. I welcome a great reimagining. Jimi Hendrix did just that with Bob Dylan's All Along the Watchtower. And I even appreciate the U2 Lovetown version and the Battlestar Galactica version. They're all different in their own right. I even enjoy a casual cover by a band, usually B-sides of a single. I dare say both the reimagining and playing it note for note tribute style are the hardest covers to pull off. Doing it casually like some beginner band is easy.

After one of our performances, someone commented on the band's FB page about our version of "Slow Burn", saying that while my recreation of Pete Townshend's guitar part is technically spot-on, they were let down because (1) was playing the "wrong" kind of guitar (I use a Strandberg Boden for most of the rock tunes) and (2) I didn't LOOK like Pete Townshend. :)

That's a fair observation. I don't play Pete's style of instrument, and I don't look like him. I am not Pete Townshend. I can be confident of this, because I regularly check. Throughout the course of our 2+ hour show, I also bear little physical resemblance to Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Carlos Alomar, Reeves Gabrels, Mick Ronson, SRV, Peter Frampton, Earl Slick, Gerry Leonard, Nile Rodgers, Mick Wayne, or David Bowie (who played many great guitar parts himself). I work very hard to recreate their tones and performances, but I don't have time for plastic surgery and a costume change between most songs. So, I ask for some suspension of disbelief.

From a performance perspective, with songs or solos that are hugely iconic, there isn't much middle ground. You just have to either deliver it verbatim, or completely change it to make it your own. If a band is playing a killer cover of "Beat It", but the guitarist makes up their own solo, I'm going to be skeptical. But, I can be happily wrong about this: I saw a band in Vegas covering that tune, almost perfectly, and the guitarist delivered a scorching original solo that blew my mind. But if that guitarist were really committed, she would work harder to look like EVH :)

Methinks that recreating the original artist's performance and cloning of his rig is only required for tribute acts. Although if you play a Pete Townsend song, hitting your guitar windmill style won't hurt your performance and audience appreciation. Sometimes I think people enjoy an energetic enthusiastic musician more then one who nails every note but is as interesting to watch as drying paint.

SRV's version of Little Wing is a favorite cover of mine. Hendrix's original is amazing in it's own right (love his vocals on it), but it's really short. SRV's tone and interpretation of it gives me goosebumps. That said, I prefer Hendrix's version of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).

You know I actually like SRV's version so much more. It's tighter, energetic and he does make it his own.

The cover band:

I mostly agree, but I do think a good cover or tribute band draws in people on their name recognition value because they know you will do the material right and/or deliver a kickass show. Of course such bands usually don't play as living jukeboxes in bars either.

Depends on your definition of cover. I'm pretty sure SRV had to have permission from the Hendrix estate or pay royalties to whoever owns the rights to release it though. Same name, same theme, same melodies: it's a cover to me.

I don't think you need anyone's permission to cover their songs and put them on your album. Provided you pay the royalties and list the correct credits. Other then that you're pretty much set. Unless the artist is a modern day special snowflake who gets offended if you as the covering artist has the wrong politics. Cause those are the insane times we live in.

Again, your opinion, and worth every penny paid for it. You have no authority in my world.

In the end the only authority that matters to us musicians is the audience. We live or die as performers by their approval. The customer is always right. If they like what you do you must be doing something right. If not then stubbornly clinging to your own opinions will only hurt yourself.

It would appear that one needs permission from the Hendrix Estate to simply invoke his name.

The cover band guys defending the sanctity if the cover band proves my point rather elegantly.
Next Outrageous Statement: if tickets with your bands name on it (or at a minimum your bands name WITH LOGO wasn’t somewhere on the poster for the event ie festival of some sort) weren’t sold to see you play, no one cares.

In the end the only authority that matters to us musicians is the audience. We live or die as performers by their approval. The customer is always right. If they like what you do you must be doing something right. If not then stubbornly clinging to your own opinions will only hurt yourself.
We covered "Feeling Stronger Every Day" by Chicago without a horn section, and had no complaints. We were never a 'tribute' band, where the bar is higher to 'play it just like the record'. That said, there were some that we did, and no matter what we played, we kicked its ass. We used to do "Time" by Pink Floyd. Once, we had people bowing in front of me during the solo, doing the "Wayne's World" 'we are not worthy' schtick. Darn near laughed my ass off, but didn't miss a note. Interestingly, most of the real acts don't 'play it like the record' either, Gilmour in particular. Some folks just like telling other folks what they have to do. Homey don't play dat.

In my useless opinion...

I dislike most cover bands, even though I've made my entire income playing nothing but covers for almost 20 years. Cover bands, for me, fall into four categories; the largest being the one I dislike.

1. Bands that recreate the original versions with a high level of detail. All of the parts are correct, including phrasing, dynamics, tone and timber, etc. Bands like this are few and far between, as each musician must spend an insane amount of time learning these details and developing their tones. I enjoy watching/listening to this type of cover band.

2. Bands that create a totally new take on the songs in question. This would include bands that might play every song in a completely different style such as bluegrass, jazz, etc. Again, not many of these types of bands around. I also enjoy them.

3. A very small number of bands I've seen have adhered to the original version and actually embellished it a way that works well. These players are always first class talent. They show that they have ability and have done their homework, which allows me to give them a pass on creative licence and enjoy the performance.

4. Bands that play a generic version in the same style, adding their "own details". This category encompasses the VAST majority of cover bands I've seen. I've also worked with such bands, and musicians in such bands. The basic structure is there, but the drum fills, guitar solos, bass parts, etc. are wrong/simplified/improvised with no innovative content or particular relevance to the songs. In my experience, the main reason the details are missing is that the members are unable or unwilling to spend the time required to learn them. Memorizing a part to a complicated/long/unfamiliar song takes an incredible amount of time and effort. I've spent days at my computer with my guitar, slowly cramming a single song into my brain and practicing it until it becomes muscle memory. I've spend days working on tones for a single song. I am biased, but when I see/hear a band making up what I consider bullshit, I don't find the performance enjoyable.

non-musicians like note for note covers. musicians (me at least) like to hear improv that takes the song farther than the original.

In contrast to that, what really drives me nuts is when the original artist doesn't play the song correctly.

Next Outrageous Statement: if tickets with your bands name on it (or at a minimum your bands name WITH LOGO wasn’t somewhere on the poster for the event ie festival of some sort) weren’t sold to see you play, no one cares.
If no one cares, then your whole point is moot. :p

I don't think you need anyone's permission to cover their songs and put them on your album. Provided you pay the royalties and list the correct credits. Other then that you're pretty much set. Unless the artist is a modern day special snowflake who gets offended if you as the covering artist has the wrong politics. Cause those are the insane times we live in.

To play a cover live in public, you're pretty much free to do whatever you want. To release a recording of said cover and charge money for it, you absolutely need permission. Paying royalties is getting permission. If you publish someone else's copyrighted material without their permission they have every right to sue you for infringement. Now whether or not the owner will actually care enough to pursue it, that's another matter. For your average local cover band selling a few dozen copies of their album from a folding table in a bar, not likely. A cover by a well known artist that stands to make some serious money from it, there's a good chance the owner will want their cut.

Back
Top Bottom