Why do people criticize guitar covers or band covers?

For those that think a "casual listener" won't notice you didn't play the same solo, I think you're very wrong depending on the artist/song.

Many great solos are very "singable" and are absolutely a part of the composition whether or not they were composed or improvised.

Casual listeners are hooked by the rhythm and the melodies, IMO. A great melodic (singable) solo will absolutely be noticed.
Yes - depends on the song and to some degree, the genre of music and whether you are a 'cover' band or a 'tribute' band. A 'tribute' band should sound as much as possible like what they are paying tribute to. It's part and parcel with the reason you bought the ticket. A 'cover' band doesn't usually involve tickets, and is usually just a bunch of folks at the bar with a cover charge, playing some live music and getting paid not enough for it. Completely different scene and a lot less requirements.

Some songs do warrant the learning of a signature part note-for-note, but others do not. Many songs are improv-based to begin with, like most blues tunes. Improv is expected. Others have a recognizable hook/melody that you really ought to learn and play. Another factor is whether your band has all the required instruments.

Ultimately, you do what you do with it, and people either like it or don't. Never had any issues getting repeat gigs with this approach....

SRV's version of Little Wing is a favorite cover of mine. Hendrix's original is amazing in it's own right (love his vocals on it), but it's really short. SRV's tone and interpretation of it gives me goosebumps. That said, I prefer Hendrix's version of Voodoo Child (Slight Return).
The Sting version with Hiram Bullock is really great, too!

HI George,

Took me many years to accept that (some) people are arseholes and you just treat them like rocks - navigate around them without much thought.
All manner of zeroids walk amongst us, and all of us make stoopid comments at times. (except me of course haha). A lot of people don't know how hard it is to make music that sounds good, let alone sounds good and exactly like what they heard on the radio. So.... fuck'em :)

I try so hard to accept it... so hard
:p

Thanks
Pauly

Im talking about the ones the did a great performance, but when improvisation is added specially on the solo parts people start criticizing because it missed some notes or it didnt sounded like the original. isn't what covers all about? be original and improvise if you can?

non-musicians like note for note covers. musicians (me at least) like to hear improv that takes the song farther than the original.

Speak for yourself. I DO appreciate a musician who can recreate the original artists tone and play his songs note for note. That is a level of mimicry that I've never managed to achieve. And again, when I expect a certain iconic solo and instead I just get some pentatonic noodling it's an instant red card from me. If anything for me the standards for covers are insanely high, because I expect to hear things and will judge you on those. Whereas if you just play the same three chords with pentatonic noodling for your own music that's fine with me. It worked for the Ramones. And they didn't even do the pentatonic noodling.

In contrast to that, what really drives me nuts is when the original artist doesn't play the song correctly.

Thing is though, while I agree, the artist is often also trying to take the song further then he recorded it originally. Sometimes that works beautifully, other times it's disastrous, as you expect to hear your favorite line/riff/lead and get something else instead. Just like with cover bands it would seem.

And again speaking of covering an artist, what do you take as the basis of your cover? The album version or the live version? Sometimes the two are wildly different, if only because there is so much layering going on on the album that its impossible to do it all live. Or too much electronic EDM stuff that a rock band can't recreate in a live setting. I found this often the case with U2 and Radiohead. Which is why live versions of their songs are often radically different from album versions. And personally for me the live version is the definitive version that I should try to cover. Because the artist already did all the rearranging to make an album version work live. But many seem to think differently. What do you guys think and why?

And again speaking of covering an artist, what do you take as the basis of your cover? The album version or the live version?
For me, it largely depends which version was more popular. I'd never play the studio version of "Do You Feel Like We Do?", for example. For other songs, it's trickier. No Quarter and The Song Remains the Same would be examples. I love both studio and live versions, but would choose the live versions for performance, sticking strictly the original live performance, even though it was largely improvised in the first place.

...And again speaking of covering an artist, what do you take as the basis of your cover? The album version or the live version?...
For our band, it can be a combination of the album version, the live version, and even the "unplugged" version. When I joined the band, it was an acoustic trio with guitar, bass, and drums. Most of the songs they copied were primarily acoustic songs. They learned most of their "electric" songs from the unplugged version, or someone else's acoustic rendition of the song. Then when I joined the band on electric guitar, it changed the band's approach, both in the types of songs we could pull off, but the source we learned them from. Our other guitarist (the acoustic-only guy) tends to gravitate toward the unplugged version if one exists. I tend to base my learning on the studio version. And singers (everyone in the band except me) often figure out the vocal harmonies from the live version if it exists.

'Let It Be' provides at least 3 different versions to choose from:
1. The album version, taken from the rooftop concert
2. The single version, also taken from the rooftop concert, but with a studio-overdubbed solo with Tele and Leslie speaker
3. The '...Naked' version, which has a different studio-overdubbed solo

Proud Mary has a couple vastly different versions available: CCR and Tina Turner.

I could list probably a dozen or more given a little time to think about it.

Point is that a 'cover' band transmogrifying into robots playing the studio original is no fun for anyone. Certainly the vast majority of people in the crowd who are drinking beer and getting into other people's pants are not even paying attention. You might as well be a poster next to the jukebox. I guar-on-tee that they are thinking of something else.... The three musicians at the bar are critiquing, because that's what people do when they see their competition up there doing their thing. The couple of avid music fans are the only ones that might gripe a little about you taking a liberty or two with a 40 or 50 year old song. Why shouldn't the band also get to enjoy themselves, even if it means playing a different guitar bit on "Takin' Care of Business" or whatnot?

Point is that a 'cover' band transmogrifying into robots playing the studio original is no fun for anyone.
Transmogrifying has kept me and my band working non-stop (save for COVID) in packed Vegas showrooms for over 20 years straight. Must be fun for someone, despite your confidence to the contrary.

The ignorant drunken pants-diving inattentive slobs who apparently come to see you are a constant everywhere, including our gigs. But our main fanbase comes back gig after gig, year after year, for the details. They tell us so. Every gig. We put the work in for them, and for us. We don't really care if the rest of them pay attention or not. They will have fun regardless.

That's my opinion. It's a good word. You should learn to use it. If the fans enjoy it, and the band enjoys it, then it's all good, no matter what it is.

One final thought. If so few people in your audience truly care, perhaps it's because you offer them nothing to truly care about.

Last edited:
Transmogrifying has kept me and my band working non-stop (save for COVID) in packed Vegas showrooms for over 20 years straight. Must be fun for someone, despite your confidence to the contrary.

The ignorant drunken pants-diving inattentive slobs who apparently come to see you are a constant everywhere, including our gigs. But our main fanbase comes back gig after gig, year after year, for the details. They tell us so. Every gig. We put the work in for them, and for us. We don't really care if the rest of them pay attention or not. They will have fun regardless.

That's my opinion. It's a good word. You should learn to use it. If the fans enjoy it, and the band enjoys it, then it's all good, no matter what it is.

One final thought. If so few people in your audience truly care, perhaps it's because you offer them nothing to truly care about.
If that is what makes it fun for you, and gets you return gigs, by all means, enjoy. That is certainly your right, but it is also just your opinion, based on your experiences in your corner of the would, and not a blanket rule that everyone must follow or be judged unworthy....

Last edited:
If that is what makes it fun for you, and gets you return gigs, by all means, enjoy. That is certainly your right, but it is also just your opinion, based on your experiences in your corner of the would, and not a blanket rule that everyone must follow or be judged unworthy....
Funny. That is exactly what I was trying to impress upon you.

After one of our performances, someone commented on the band's FB page about our version of "Slow Burn", saying that while my recreation of Pete Townshend's guitar part is technically spot-on, they were let down because (1) was playing the "wrong" kind of guitar (I use a Strandberg Boden for most of the rock tunes) and (2) I didn't LOOK like Pete Townshend. :)
Man I hear you. I get slammed all the time for not looking like Lady Gaga.

Im talking about the ones the did a great performance, but when improvisation is added specially on the solo parts people start criticizing because it missed some notes or it didnt sounded like the original. isn't what covers all about? be original and improvise if you can?
Really depends on how well you improvise, because if your version isn't on par with the original's chances are it's going to stink, and people will notice.

On a few of the covers I play, I do my own solo, like ZZ Top's Tush, or Led Zepp's Rock and Roll, but I keep to the theme and hit the key notes where they need to be. never had a complaint about it ever, and that's spanning 25+ years and hundreds of gigs played. However, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if someone was judging in the back because I didn't "Nail it." These are Iconic songs people have heard thousands and thousands of times!

At the end of the day, it's a cover, not your music, so IMO ask yourself why you are even playing it if you don't want to actually play it.

At the end of the day, it's a cover, not your music, so IMO ask yourself why you are even playing it if you don't want to actually play it.

My guess, because for 99% of all musicians out there playing their own original music doesn't pay the bills and they still got to eat. So its either daytime job, parttime music, or full time music playing covers or tributing. And even if you don't really like to play other people's music, it still beats an 8 to 5 factory/desk job almost every time. And even if they are okay with being a parttime musician, its still fun to play live music?

when i watch a cover - full band, solo instrument, singing, whatever - i just like to see an understanding of the music they're playing.

there are several types of covers, and i think each one needs to be addressed individually.

those "covers" that sing the lyrics and melody over a stock I vi VI V that has nothing to do with the song usually make me mad as there was no attempt to learn the song at all. (sometimes these are done on purpose and work!).

it also matters if the person says specifically "this is note for note!" when it's not, i wonder if they actually think they're playing it note for note, or if they just say it so people think it is. many times people think they are hitting everything, when they actually aren't, and i think it's a disservice to any performer to just say "good job" and not let them know they aren't actually doing what they think they're doing. i've seen covers of meshuggah songs on drums, and they're really not hitting things and clearly have no understanding of the odd times. props for trying it of course, but i mean if you're not doing it, you're not doing it. and that should be shared with the person i feel, not in a threatening way of course. but the moment you do that, people start asking for proof that YOU can play it, etc etc... it's tiresome. so i rarely comment. people can post whatever they want, but they should know they open themselves up to comments and discussion about what they presented.

then there are re-interpreted covers that change things purposefully - sometimes small changes, sometimes major. i enjoy these the most and usually how i approach covers too. music is open for interpretation and i enjoy the creativity realized when having a starting point of a song that already exists. it's puzzling to me to see people say "you're not allowed to change that chord/note." however, sometimes the change is not a good choice or even technically bad/wrong, and those probably come from inexperience. so those i can't agree with.

again for me, it's about the understanding of the song. to not play a m7b5 chord in a song that uses and needs it because you don't know that chord exists is one thing - we all need to learn bit by bit, and playing a minor chord there instead doesn't sound quite right. but i can usually see that maybe the person doesn't know how to play that chord and typically excuse it. but if someone replaces that m7b5 chord with like a II7 or something that doesn't fit at all... yeah that's rough. i would view that as not understanding the song, and maybe it shouldn't be performed until you take the time to get the right chord.

if i see someone who isn't a "shredder" but their band on a weekend gig plays a song with a shreddy solo, but plays something slower that they can actually play, i wouldn't think "omg this guy sucks!" i would appreciate what they can perform and move on in life. i'm pretty sure they would love to play it as recorded, and are probably working on it week after week until they feel comfortable enough to try it.

so many casual listeners have no idea how much work it takes to become good at an instrument, and think because we have a guitar, we can immediately do anything the guitar gods can, and if we can't, we suck. that's why i try to assess what the musician is capable of in general, and appreciate it for what they give to the listeners. clearly some people are just bad musicians and truly need to practice more, but i'd rather see an honest performance of them giving their energy to the room vs a note-perfect performance that i could get by listening to the recording.

My guess, because for 99% of all musicians out there playing their own original music doesn't pay the bills and they still got to eat. So its either daytime job, parttime music, or full time music playing covers or tributing. And even if you don't really like to play other people's music, it still beats an 8 to 5 factory/desk job almost every time. And even if they are okay with being a parttime musician, its still fun to play live music?
Actually, my full time job has allowed me to equip a decent studio and buy some decent equipment that I would not have been able to afford if I forged ahead playing shitty covers for peanuts for drunks in a bar, and I actually enjoy the work I do. Not as much as I enjoy writing and playing original music, maybe almost as much as I enjoy playing crappy covers, but definitely a lot more enjoyable than loading up a shit ton of gear and setting it up to play for a bar gig. And not having to worry about some drunk spilling beer in your FC12 is priceless!

I can respect that playing covers in a bar is enjoyable for some, and that some are even able to make a decent living at it. I figured out in 1989 that music doesn't pay much for most musicians and decided I would rather make a living doing other things and play what I want to play.

Fwiw, a lot of people do enjoy it when I play out, and even the covers that are rearranged tend to go over pretty well. I have just become a lot more selective about what I choose to do, and I have better things to do than meticulously figure out someone else's guitar solo note for note to try to impress the 3 guitarists in the room that can actually tell the difference. If that is what floats your boat, so be it. More power to you, but I enjoy being in the minority in this one.

Actually, my full time job has allowed me to equip a decent studio and buy some decent equipment that I would not have been able to afford if I forged ahead playing shitty covers for peanuts for drunks in a bar, and I actually enjoy the work I do. Not as much as I enjoy writing and playing original music, maybe almost as much as I enjoy playing crappy covers, but definitely a lot more enjoyable than loading up a shit ton of gear and setting it up to play for a bar gig. And not having to worry about some drunk spilling beer in your FC12 is priceless!

I can respect that playing covers in a bar is enjoyable for some, and that some are even able to make a decent living at it. I figured out in 1989 that music doesn't pay much for most musicians and decided I would rather make a living doing other things and play what I want to play.

Fwiw, a lot of people do enjoy it when I play out, and even the covers that are rearranged tend to go over pretty well. I have just become a lot more selective about what I choose to do, and I have better things to do than meticulously figure out someone else's guitar solo note for note to try to impress the 3 guitarists in the room that can actually tell the difference. If that is what floats your boat, so be it. More power to you, but I enjoy being in the minority in this one.
Just about a decade behind you, @Genghis.

Back
Top Bottom