Why do peeps use an external tuner in their rig ?

I don't have the AX8 yet, but I have had the FX8, so I'm assuming same tuner. I use the Fractal tuner for live work because the whole point for me is to simplicity of set up. It works very well, and is very accurate with some patience, but my Turbo Tuner tracks so much faster and is easier to use. I don't find the Fractal to be inaccurate, it just takes more time to lock in. Thankfully I rarely have to adjust between songs, I would have to add the TT to the set up if I did.

I don't have the AX8 yet, but I have had the FX8, so I'm assuming same tuner. I use the Fractal tuner for live work because the whole point for me is to simplicity of set up. It works very well, and is very accurate with some patience, but my Turbo Tuner tracks so much faster and is easier to use. I don't find the Fractal to be inaccurate, it just takes more time to lock in. Thankfully I rarely have to adjust between songs, I would have to add the TT to the set up if I did.

I hear ya @ducmike I will see how it goes without additional "stuff" in my setup as like you, one of the draw cards of the AX8 was the chance to get rid of loads of pedals etc and keep it really simple (but incredible effective!!)

Im finding the AX8 tuner just fine. Im working from the "lowest number of gadgets possible" and love being light and fast. I dont use a pedal board and just put up the AX8 and an exp pedal and go! My MusicMan guitars stay in tune unbelievably well. Rock solid to where i tune them once a week! Come to think of it, maybe we should be talking about our instruments in this thread vs. our tuners...

If the venue is small, I use the tuner in the AX8. On a large stage, I use my trusty Korg rack tuner as I can see it from a distance. The Korg is good to 0.1 cents. It also has a strobe mode, but that is too distracting. I want to move away from center stage to tune, drink water, or pick my seat.

I don't get it. I use the AX8 tuner. Is it accurate? Seems to be. I tune my guitar with it. I'm not anal about it. I can tell when my guitar is in tune. I can tell when it's out of tune. I can tune my guitar pretty accurately without a tuner. It works. If you have one of those fangled wireless things, yeah why not? Space on your board? Yeah, cool. But to argue that the AX8 is not really that accurate? I don't get it. It works. How would something more accurate work? What are we doing, measuring NASA instruments? LOL.

As others have said, I think the AX8 tuner is absolutely fine, but I keep a Polytune on my board for 2 reasons.

1. I have a Polytune. Seems rude to not be using it
  2. It's always on - don't need to switch or press anything - it's 'just there'
  3. It looks awesome.
Ok, that's three reasons. A list with 2 things on it just looks weird.

Sukh

The Fractal tuners Axe Fx II/AX8 work just great. Although I will admit when using the Axe Fx and MFC, by the time the information gets to the MFC there is a little bit of a lag. (But it is accurate) or I can turn around and just look at the Axe Fx which is not lagging. I use to use the TC Polytune all the time, but just got away from it, although it is great to be able to reference all six strings at the same time.
As for the AX8 no problems there since everything is under the same hood, so to say.

To say it's a visual thing, I get that. But to say it's a accuracy thing thing I don't get that.

John

Reactions: Rex
If the venue is small, I use the tuner in the AX8. On a large stage, I use my trusty Korg rack tuner as I can see it from a distance. The Korg is good to 0.1 cents. It also has a strobe mode, but that is too distracting. I want to move away from center stage to tune, drink water, or pick my seat.
Selecting a chair for the next band?

I use AX8 tuner as well. At home I have a Peterson HD in front of everything but it isn't really needed. I can tune with the AX8 and check with the Peterson and it is dead on most of the time. And for those times it is off it is still close enough no one could tell. I worked with a few guitarists that would not allow you to use a tuner on their Ax . And if you did they would be pissed after the first song and retune. I just find it funny when people get so concerned about accuracy when their are people out there like I said and they sound fine.

For people that like a "always on" tuner, there's no substitute.
For me, the integrated one works fine.

Back
Top Bottom