Why do patches I download sound like crap?

Bypassed the presonus, going direct via USB. Problem solved! Still getting my head around this set up, any direction will be appreciated :) Thanks to everyone for their help.

I think FM curve might be coming into play here as well. I am sure a lot of the patches were made at gig volume, and some at bedroom volume. That makes a big difference in tone as well. I can't play my bedroom level presets at gig level without sounding absolutely terrible. And vice versa.

it amazes me that it took three pages and 40 posts to figure out that he was plugged into the mic inputs on his audio interface. people often seem very keen to dive into advanced parameter tweaking and forget about the simple things like signal paths and gain staging....which should always be the first port of call in my opinion if people are having difficulties with their sound.

just my 2p....i'm glad metalfan got it sorted :)

Most all of the Tone Clone presets I have done are designed to match the recorded tone and effects in the recorded mix. Some work better than others in live settings, but if you use them for recording they are pretty spot on. I also try to list the guitars and pickups that I use in the match. I have found that criteria to be the most critical to getting similar results to my posted samples. I dont use any post production on my samples and most are recorded via usb to try to normalize the preset volumes. However, different setups bring different results. I have heard enough positive feedback on my presets to feel I have a system for delivering good results on most setups. However, YMMV. If you have ever had an issue with one of my Tone Clone presets, feel free to let me know and I will be glad to help if I can. One of the things I am currently working on is a system for delivering good live results from Tone Clone presets. This of course is much more difficult given the additional variables involved, but I have made some headway.

Oh well I ALWAYS go into the mic inputs. And it sounds great. I think it depends on the interface you're using and the manner in which you are using it.

It depends on your signal levels, and whether you're clipping. You can use mic inputs if you keep your signal low enough.

Back
Top Bottom