Why do I lose Gain and sustain through in ears?

boltrecords

Fractal Fanatic
I love using my axe live through my in ears but I'm definitely noticing that I tend to use my heavier and gainier settings when playing live. Almost as if I'm losing some of the gain to my presets when I'm listening through in ears. I definitely notice it more on my light crunch presets. They sound lifeless and have no feel or sustain to them unless I kick in a drive pedal. They almost sound clean at times. But they sound fine when I have my rcf cranked in front of me. It's almost as if I'd need completely different presets for foh vs in ears.

Anyone else experience this?

FYI I'm running in ears in stereo with custom molded Jh16's.

The difference in sustain might have to do with acoustic coupling between your guitar and the (cranked) RCF in front of you?
Regarding gain, I experience the opposite myself. Too gainy in my inears compared to when using a wedge type speaker.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

It's the acoustic interaction (feedback) of the speaker(s) and the guitar. No doubt.

Different headphones will attenuate and emphasize different frequencies in the same manner as different IRs will. Try to go to a store with your Axe and compare different headphones and you will see what I mean. Some headphones will sound as a gainy fizzland and some will sound clean.
Ideally you would like headphones or in ears with the same frequency response as your PA or monitors.

When playing live I still have my rcf cranked behind me (usually about 6-8 feet behind me set up like a guitar cab) for stage volume and feedback purposes. It just sounds like I'm losing sound in my ears. quicker than the rcf fades out.

As far as getting new headphones, these I'm pretty much invested in at this point due to the price point. Don't get me wrong they sound great, I'm just looking for possible way to tweak my in ear sound a bit. I was thinking of running a separate cab block and EQ for in ears versus FOH. This will allow me to tweak my sound a bit for in ears.

When playing live I still have my rcf cranked behind me (usually about 6-8 feet behind me set up like a guitar cab) for stage volume and feedback purposes. It just sounds like I'm losing sound in my ears. quicker than the rcf fades out.

As far as getting new headphones, these I'm pretty much invested in at this point due to the price point. Don't get me wrong they sound great, I'm just looking for possible way to tweak my in ear sound a bit. I was thinking of running a separate cab block and EQ for in ears versus FOH. This will allow me to tweak my sound a bit for in ears.

Are you using a mixer? What are your in-ears plugged into? Maybe check your input levels using PFL (if you have one on that mixer).

I always have my own mix of my guitar for in ears that doesn't go to the board. Then the soundman can do what he wants with the signal w/o effecting me.

the other thing with acoustic coupling is that it makes the guitar feel more sensitive just as if you were using more gain / compression…
this is why my studio [practice] presets use so much gain, cos they're designed for headphone usage..
live though, the feeling lost by cutting some gain can largely be put back by being in front of your backline at gig volume

my live presets sound [to me] wonderful…
in my studio however, they are cold, unresponsive and sterile

All lines go into our Allen and Heath mix wiz. Then out to the in ear systems.
All the input levels are checked before each gig to make sure there is no clipping.

I get this sometimes. There are some nights where it feels like I am beating the piss out of my guitar to get it to respond. I think it has something to do with where and how loud our singer's monitor is. The acoustic coupling is definitely part of it, but stage bleed into the ears is part of it too. Also, EQ on the board is major on perceived gain. Take some highs off and suddenly it feels like there is way less fuzz, etc...

I'm new to the Axe and am having the same issues. I'd love some tips & tricks if anyone has any. I'm running direct with custom Westone dual drivers from a Roland personal mixer, just like an Aviom system, at church. Thanks!

When playing live I still have my rcf cranked behind me (usually about 6-8 feet behind me set up like a guitar cab) for stage volume and feedback purposes. It just sounds like I'm losing sound in my ears.
Turn up the RCF.

this is why my studio [practice] presets use so much gain, cos they're designed for headphone usage...

my live presets sound [to me] wonderful…
in my studio however, they are cold, unresponsive and sterile
Still trying to talk you into recording with a little room volume, my brother. :)

I'm new to the Axe and am having the same issues. I'd love some tips & tricks if anyone has any. I'm running direct with custom Westone dual drivers from a Roland personal mixer, just like an Aviom system, at church. Thanks!

If you haven't any stage volume look at thunk in the advanced parameters.

Back
Top Bottom