Why do I like Drive + Amp more than Amp drive?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
This has been bugging me lately... Because I feel like there are more amp models I could be using for solo tones.

Is it because most of my use of tube amps prior to the Axe Fx was with a "pedal platform" setup where I used a Budda SuperDrive II 18w or and Ashdown PeaceMaker 20w set clean (just starting to breakup) as my base tone and then used OD pedals for leads?

I've been using the Axe Fx (the II and now III) exclusively since 2013, and for a short period of time, I was using the Triptik Modern and one of the Dumble models but I was never really happy with what I achieved.

For me, all of the amps seem to get "thin" on the higher strings when you start cranking up the drive. I like it when they sound thick... And I think this is mostly what I don't like.

I'm guessing that using a Drive block before the Amp is just EQing out some of the high frequencies, but I'm not sure.

Maybe sticking a Filter or PEQ before the amp would help?

Am I alone here?

I like just amp more in most cases but it’s sinply a different tone, and I think merely subjective preference.

I know a lot of guys with a long hardware past who tend to still like the tones of drive pedals, as that is what they used all the time. Often isn’t practical to crank an amp so things like an OD pedal we’re pretty much standard bit of kit for tons of players.

I enjoy various methods for different tones. Sometimes something like a drive pedal in front of a Fender style amp just has a certain character that works better than a hotter amp.

if it works, it works. feel no guilt for the lack of "purity"
that said, I do think experimenting with EQ/PEQ blocks before an amp is most wise. it'll teach you some of what was perhaps mysterious with drive pedals, as their EQ choices are often obfuscated and/or then simplified with a "tone" knob or two.

Leon Todd @2112 has a good YT vid on EQ pedals that can be insightful if you are new to them as boost or sculpt.

Personal preference. I'm the exact opposite. Never liked drive pedals and still don't in the virtual world.
Is there something inherent in the way one generates drive vs the other that causes this "thin" effect? Can I do something in the amp to lessen that effect?

This is more of a philosophical question than an Axe-Fx question, really.

That said, as a guy who generally loves pedals for lead, try the USA lead, the USA IIC+, the Trainwreck, and any of the ODS models. Turn the overdrive parameter up a good bit. No drive pedal needed for an excellent lead tone.

I tend to prefer Amp drive in the AFX too. And I use Boost a lot. That said, many of my presets have a Drive pedal, especially for cleaner amps.

Isn't there one of the Advanced controls that will darken/fatten the notes a bit as you go up into higher pitch range?

This has been bugging me lately... Because I feel like there are more amp models I could be using for solo tones.

Is it because most of my use of tube amps prior to the Axe Fx was with a "pedal platform" setup where I used a Budda SuperDrive II 18w or and Ashdown PeaceMaker 20w set clean (just starting to breakup) as my base tone and then used OD pedals for leads?

I've been using the Axe Fx (the II and now III) exclusively since 2013, and for a short period of time, I was using the Triptik Modern and one of the Dumble models but I was never really happy with what I achieved.

For me, all of the amps seem to get "thin" on the higher strings when you start cranking up the drive. I like it when they sound thick... And I think this is mostly what I don't like.

I'm guessing that using a Drive block before the Amp is just EQing out some of the high frequencies, but I'm not sure.

Maybe sticking a Filter or PEQ before the amp would help?

Am I alone here?

I used to be the same, until I tried switching the amp for my main heavy sound. When I was using the 5153 100w blue I felt like it needed a drive in front. Then I switched to the SOLO 100 Lead (Soldano) and tried dialing in the sound just using the boost in the amp block. I was able to get a sound I was very happy with so I decided to dump the drive pedal.

I also played around with my dirt sound which uses the Friedman Small Box model and was able to get rid of the drive pedal I was using for that as well.

For my cleanish sound which is a CA3+ Clean, I use the SDD drive model. I use the drive because I like a little hair on the clean sound to make it stand out in the mix. I found that I am not able to get rid of the drive and get as good a sound.

This is more of a philosophical question than an Axe-Fx question, really.

That said, as a guy who generally loves pedals for lead, try the USA lead, the USA IIC+, the Trainwreck, and any of the ODS models. Turn the overdrive parameter up a good bit. No drive pedal needed for an excellent lead tone.
I'll give those a shot. I've never bonded with any of the Mesa models except the Lonestar clean. Maybe I should pull up the Austin Buddy examples for those... It might be that I just don't know how to dial them in.

if it works, it works. feel no guilt for the lack of "purity"
that said, I do think experimenting with EQ/PEQ blocks before an amp is most wise. it'll teach you some of what was perhaps mysterious with drive pedals, as their EQ choices are often obfuscated and/or then simplified with a "tone" knob or two.

Leon Todd @2112 has a good YT vid on EQ pedals that can be insightful if you are new to them as boost or sculpt.
I used to be the same, until I tried switching the amp for my main heavy sound. When I was using the 5153 100w blue I felt like it needed a drive in front. Then I switched to the SOLO 100 Lead (Soldano) and tried dialing in the sound just using the boost in the amp block. I was able to get a sound I was very happy with so I decided to dump the drive pedal.

I also played around with my dirt sound which uses the Friedman Small Box model and was able to get rid of the drive pedal I was using for that as well.

For my cleanish sound which is a CA3+ Clean, I use the SDD drive model. I use the drive because I like a little hair on the clean sound to make it stand out in the mix. I found that I am not able to get rid of the drive and get as good a sound.
You guys are nuts about tone. Love it!

Back
Top Bottom