Why do EQ'd IRs sound bad?

Sacha

Inspired
I remember @FractalAudio made a post at some point about the theory behind this, but I can't find it for the life of me. Does anyone remember? Basically it was around that 'mix-ready' and otherwise processed IRs are a terrible idea; an IR should sound like the cab and be captured as neutrally as possible as a snapshot of that.

I don't know about the original post, but it sure seems to be missing context, here at least.
A mix-ready IR being a terrible idea for... a mix? Surely not. ...For trying to achieve an amp-in-the-room tone? More likely.

If you're looking to get the sound of standing in front of an amp/stack, sure, go with the suggestion.
If you're desiging your tone for front of house, or for recording, go with a mix-ready IR.
The sound you choose should depend on the application / your goal.

I don't know about the original post, but it sure seems to be missing context, here at least.
A mix-ready IR being a terrible idea for... a mix? Surely not. ...For trying to achieve an amp-in-the-room tone? More likely.

If you're looking to get the sound of standing in front of an amp/stack, sure, go with the suggestion.
If you're desiging your tone for front of house, or for recording, go with a mix-ready IR.
The sound you choose should depend on the application / your goal.

Nah man, that's what I'm saying, there was a technical reason why applying EQ directly to the IR itself was not the correct approach. If processed IRs sound good to you then knock yourself out, obviously, but I'm looking for a technical response Cliff gave not cliched advice about picking an IR.

I remember @FractalAudio made a post at some point about the theory behind this, but I can't find it for the life of me. Does anyone remember? Basically it was around that 'mix-ready' and otherwise processed IRs are a terrible idea; an IR should sound like the cab and be captured as neutrally as possible as a snapshot of that.
You don’t want an EQ’ed “Mix ready” IR with boosted low end, enhanced midrange, or trimmed top end because it takes away from having a realistic experience. There are lots of ways to boost low end or tame top end in the Axe, so if your ears want to hear more or less of something, it’s very easy to dial in your tone accordingly. Fractal’s amp modeling is extremely accurate, so you want to pair it with an extremely accurate cabinet IR in order for it to sound and feel like the real thing. Just my opinion. There are lots of ways to get the tone you’re after. If that means using a heavily processed IR, that’s fine... it just won’t be realistic.

You don’t want an EQ’ed “Mix ready” IR with boosted low end, enhanced midrange, or trimmed top end because it takes away from having a realistic experience. There are lots of ways to boost low end or tame top end in the Axe, so if your ears want to hear more or less of something, it’s very easy to dial in your tone accordingly. Fractal’s amp modeling is extremely accurate, so you want to pair it with an extremely accurate cabinet IR in order for it to sound and feel like the real thing. Just my opinion. There are lots of ways to get the tone you’re after. If that means using a heavily processed IR, that’s fine... it just won’t be realistic.

Totally agreed! I just recall Cliff saying there was a technical reason for this, something about messing with the phase accuracy etc. that I wish I could find.

There are lots of ways to get the tone you’re after. If that means using a heavily processed IR, that’s fine... it just won’t be realistic.

Sort of the same reason I would usually record guitars dry and add effects while mixing.

Back
Top Bottom