Why do downloaded user presets sound different on my set-up?

I tried OP's preset it's all about darkness:

- BE V1 was a dark model
- bright switch is off
- dark IR
- IR has high-cut

try V2
turn bright switch on
change your IR
don't add high cut

Tadaaa!

Bright switch will help a bit, though in his case simply bring up the high-end in the GEQ section of the amp block will make the biggest difference. I was able to practically lift the blanket using that alone rather than changing IRs. The high cut in the cab wasn't as big of a deal considering it was set at approx. 8K.

Yes, to what all has been said. I tried your patch and all I did was add the bright and turned down the bass and good to go.

Thanks, Jason !!! We are getting closer :) Sounds really cool....with an increase of reverb mix, this preset is nearly good to go for me :)

Cool, man. Glad to help. Is that a new sample based on my updated preset? It sounds practically identical to the one you originally posted.

Also, if things still sound somewhat muffled to you, you can always boost 4K in the GEQ section of the amp block and/or tweak the bright knob.

Last edited:
Cool, man. Glad to help. Is that a new sample based on my updated preset? It sounds practically identical to the one you originally posted.

Also, if things still sound somewhat muffled to you, you can always boost 4K in the GEQ section of the amp block and/or tweak the bright knob.

Learning a lot from you, thanks again !!! This is the right file :) These minor changes brought out so much additional nuances to the tone...now my Axe starts to be great fun again :)

Learning a lot from you, thanks again !!! This is the right file :) These minor changes brought out so much additional nuances to the tone...now my Axe starts to be great fun again :)

No problem, man. Much better. If you add a Filter block after the Cab block and set the Type to Peaking, the Gain to 2.20 dB, the Frequency to 3499 Hz and leave everything else as is, that would really add the finishing touch, in my opinion.

If you like them then absolutely keep them.
As I said I hated the D8, but I don't think that the monitoring is what stands in the way of a player and tone.
Let's put it like this, if you listening to reference stuff on them and can relate to it no problem.
But as I said the D8 were even with bass cut on like a set of Beats headphones.
Understood...thanks. What do you think about the Genelec 8030s? Might be replacing my D5s and am looking for a better alternative.

Personally in my opinion it sounds like your trying to pull something out of a factory IR that isn't really there. Thats only my opinion though.
Here is a clip of your preset on my PRS custom 24 with 85/15 pickups and then after that first clip I changed the IR to one from a cab pack. It's a mix of 2 SM57s and then the 3rd one is from a single SM57 IR.
The ONLY thing I changed was the IR.

Personally in my opinion it sounds like your trying to pull something out of a factory IR that isn't really there. Thats only my opinion though.
Here is a clip of your preset on my PRS custom 24 with 85/15 pickups and then after that first clip I changed the IR to one from a cab pack. It's a mix of 2 SM57s and then the 3rd one is from a single SM57 IR.
The ONLY thing I changed was the IR.

Thanks...sounds cool, will try some further cabs as well. But this thread helped to understand the basic problem.

What I've found is that there's a lot of work involved in learning how to really benefit from all the possibilities of the AxeFX. Disclaimer: I'm totally not there yet.

Facts I totally agree with:
1) Many variables outside the axefx (technique -> guitar -> rest of setup) mean you're not going to be getting the same input to even have a chance of getting the same output with the same settings

Helpful advice I totally agree with
1) Use a preset as a starting point.
2) You stand a much better chance of this starting point being good if it's a simple preset, as " preset overengineering" will tend to address very specific issues with a particular setup, rather than add general qualities.

I'd add my own at this point:
3) Spend a lot of time just using the inbuilt presets. There's so much in there already, and they're the natural showcase for it's capabilities. Once you're comfortable with those 200 odd presets, you'll have a decent idea of a starting point. Which brings me to...

4) I really wish that there were good guides for how to dial in a tone. Ideally a video, by someone who explains their thought making process well. Maybe they're out there, just not well publicized. I've seen one or two videos where (insert wizard of axe here) just dials things up, says "oh this doesn't sound right, I'll add X here" and bam! fixed! For example, when describing a component to the sound you don't like, raise the eq gain there, make it sound truly terrrible, and that way we all know what part of the tone you don't like. But going back to point three, the reason wizard of axe dials in tones so quickly is that he is very familiar with the unit, and I think presets have helped me a lot to become familiar. Especially when the preset is named after a song that I know.

Wow, that last try sounded amazing! Is the preset for Axe FX or the XL models?

The other thing too is, I just created the presets in the John Petrucci thread and they are AMAZING. You may want to give them a go.

Wow, that last try sounded amazing! Is the preset for Axe FX or the XL models?

The other thing too is, I just created the presets in the John Petrucci thread and they are AMAZING. You may want to give them a go.

Are you refering to my last try? It was for the Axe FX II model.
Could u share the link to your post ?

Also, everyone has different ears, where one tone might sound muffled to one person, the same tone to a different person could sound absolutely killer.

Absolutely. My early rock bands: a 50 watt-Marshall plexi half-stack, full up, with a drummer to match.

And years of clarinet in band - where the clarinet section is always right in front of brass or percussion.

I haven't had my hearing tested in years, but no doubt have significant high-frequency rolloff.

Nevertheless, the Axe is more than capable of being adjusted to suit. I turn on the bright switch for most amp presets and it sounds great.

Dave

Another mans blanket is another mans perfect preset...but this preset truly is guitar dependant!
All I did was to turn the master down to 3 and turn the level up to -15 to compensate lost volume.
I am using a Fender Strat 62 reissue MIJ with Kinman Hx Traditional Mk-III K9 pickups.
I am using the bridge position, I love this preset! ;)
Thx
Greg

Attachments

• Test1GDA.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 3
What I've found is that there's a lot of work involved in learning how to really benefit from all the possibilities of the AxeFX. Disclaimer: I'm totally not there yet.

Facts I totally agree with:
1) Many variables outside the axefx (technique -> guitar -> rest of setup) mean you're not going to be getting the same input to even have a chance of getting the same output with the same settings

Helpful advice I totally agree with
1) Use a preset as a starting point.
2) You stand a much better chance of this starting point being good if it's a simple preset, as " preset overengineering" will tend to address very specific issues with a particular setup, rather than add general qualities.

I'd add my own at this point:
3) Spend a lot of time just using the inbuilt presets. There's so much in there already, and they're the natural showcase for it's capabilities. Once you're comfortable with those 200 odd presets, you'll have a decent idea of a starting point. Which brings me to...

4) I really wish that there were good guides for how to dial in a tone. Ideally a video, by someone who explains their thought making process well. Maybe they're out there, just not well publicized. I've seen one or two videos where (insert wizard of axe here) just dials things up, says "oh this doesn't sound right, I'll add X here" and bam! fixed! For example, when describing a component to the sound you don't like, raise the eq gain there, make it sound truly terrrible, and that way we all know what part of the tone you don't like. But going back to point three, the reason wizard of axe dials in tones so quickly is that he is very familiar with the unit, and I think presets have helped me a lot to become familiar. Especially when the preset is named after a song that I know.

On your point 4. I found Danny Danzi's vid on the "power of the cab block" to be extremely interesting and useful.

IR's are everything. For me, and YMMV, if I'm having to do crazy eq stuff to get a tone there, the IR is wrong. I try to find IR's where I barely have to adjust eq at all. Not saying it's right, but it seems to me if your having make 19 adjustments to get an acceptable tone then something isn't right.

Back
Top Bottom