Why do amp heads have a speaker setting?

Krankle

Why do amps have a speaker setting section in Axe8Edit if a cab (which houses the speakers) is being used? Isn't this redundant?

Why do amps have a speaker setting section in Axe8Edit if a cab (which houses the speakers) is being used? Isn't this redundant?

The interaction between a guitar amplifier and speakers can exhibit non-linear properties (compression, speaker breakup etc) as well as linear properties which can be captured as an impulse response. The cab block stores the linear part of the cab/mic setup (impulse response) whereas the non-linear parts are included in the amp block.

Those controls are for how the amp interacts with the speaker. It was decided to put that in the Amp block.

Thanks guys!

Do you have a view as far as when to tweak the non-linear characteristics in the amp block, like do you generally tweak the cab and leave the amp speaker settings alone?

Thanks guys!

Do you have a view as far as when to tweak the non-linear characteristics in the amp block, like do you generally tweak the cab and leave the amp speaker settings alone?
I don’t touch a dang advanced thing in there. Basic page and GEQ only.

I don’t touch a dang advanced thing in there. Basic page and GEQ only.

Ok thank you Chris, does GEQ stand for Graphic EQ and are you talking about an effect block?

Last edited:
The only thing I'd ever touch is the speaker low res frequency (try lower it to around 80hz with high gain sounds)and the speaker compression parameter. These are in no way essential tweaks, then default settings are spectacular already.

Back
Top Bottom