Why did you sell your CLR?

quark

Experienced
I've noticed more than a few CLR's up for sale on the forum. What didn't you like about the CLR that made you sell it and what did you get instead? Are you happy with your decision?

I sold my CLR neo II off a year or more ago; I was using an Ax8 at the time (now run a III).

My issue was primarily with the overall sonic signature of the box. I understand that it is supposed to be a relatively "neutral" sounding speaker, but I always found the top end harsh and the bottom end lacking. Compared to the rest of my PA (Yamaha DX12s, QSC k8s, Samson SM10s and SM12s, Turbosound iQ10) it required the most EQ work to sit comfortably in the mix on stage. So even if the rest of my rig was colored and "less than perfect," the CLR was the outlier in terms of my regular setups.

Second, I just never got along with physical build. It was prone to dings and chips in the cab, and was just bulkier (though lighter) overall compared to my other gear.

Third, I ended up trying out an IEM approach for my own monitoring, moved through some of the above monitors in various configurations, and have more recently settled in on a PS170 + cab for my onstage sound (a particular setup that I couldn't run well until I upgraded to the III).

So now I view any sort of onstage monitor in same way I think about cabs in general: I want to use the coloration rather than trying to find some sort of platonic ideal.

joe

I sold mine due to the weight (I didnt have the neo). I also agree with Joe (above comment) about the physical build/ shape was awkward?

I repalced mine with an EV ETX 12P which was slightly more expensive but for my ears, sounds better?

I sold my Neo a couple of years ago. I thought FRFR was the bomb until one of my guitarist friends who only uses real amps came by and
said WTF is this. I went to his place and plugged into a real Friedman and a Friedman cab and I have not used FRFR since.
Axe into power amp into Real guitar cabs for me.
I'd like to try it again and see how it sounds with the latest updates, but I probably would still prefer a real cab.

"Sterile" is definitely a strange critique of an FRFR speaker. The entire point is that they're supposed to be totally transparent. If you can hear what they're doing to the sound, they're not working correctly.

To me, they sound like what a PA speaker should sound like. They're pretty much totally transparent. Everything that comes out of them feels like it's exactly what's being put into them, and they don't do that thing cheaper speakers do where it feels like you can hear the vibrations of the enclosure or the limitations of the speaker with just a little bit of volume applied.

The finish is very fragile though, I'll give you that.

Still have mine.

I love them, but I'm considering getting back into gigging again, and the prospect of hauling them around is not appealing (1st Edition at close to 50lbs is...much.)

If I jump, I'll look at the Neo's, or even considering a Matrix poweramp and the 25LB FRFR.speaker. I'd consider the NEO, but they seem to be perpetually sold out.

Back
Top Bottom