Why did/would you choose FM3 over Axe FX III?

Size portability and the fact that I didn't use really complex presets
I used mostly a wah drive flange
Amp cab delay when i had the 3

Also the integrated FC functions

I probably would've bought it instead of the III if it had been out when I was shopping for one - other than portability, the main reason I was hesitant about buying an Axe-Fx was because the III is big enough that I knew I'd end up having to make space for it, whereas the FM3 is small enough that it would fit in pretty seamlessly no matter where I put it (floor or desktop). I put my III on my desk when I first got it, but it took up a ton of desk space and felt a bit too exposed (I had to keep any and all drinks out of the room, basically). I ended up getting some desktop rack bays so I'd have somewhere to put it without it taking up significant desk space – probably a worthwhile long-term investment, but it definitely made things more complicated for me.

For me price and portability. I would love the axe fx 3 and mfc 6 pedal but I don't really want to hauling both around.

Portability. We are 4 people, driving in one car with lots of equipment and merch. Space is scarce. So, if I could, I would buy both....hmm, why not in the future?

Although I recently picked up an Axe-FX III to hold me over until I receive an invite for an FM3, I’m still on the fence on whether I’m keeping it for studio purposes. With that said, the FM3 will be my primary gigging rig. My reason is this:

1. Portability. I can literally throw an FM3, expression pedal, a power strip, and cables into a back pack, carry my guitar in one hand, my FRFR in the other, and load in to a gig; literally one trip. I despise loading gear in and out before and after a gig. This will be the most efficient and functional rig I’ve ever used.

I would totally gig with the Axe-FX III and an FC-6, given its ridiculous amount of power and I/O, but my years of lugging around a rack are over.

Floor-based form factor is the only real reason for me personally. I just don't like rack systems, having been there/done that with the Ultra and the II. AX8 was my dream come true.

The III is probably overkill for me in terms of power, and saving money with FM3 is nice, but who am I kidding. Price isn't my obstacle. If\when Fractal ever makes a full blown flagship power machine for the floor I'll be all over that immediately.

The only answers I can imagine anyone giving are "portability" and "price".

Yes - if Fractal put all the internals of the AFX 3 into the shell of the FM3 including the footswitches at the same weight and price of the FM3 and called it the AFX 3, I would prefer the AFX 3. :D :tonguewink:

Yes - if Fractal put all the internals of the AFX 3 into the shell of the FM3 including the footswitches at the same weight and price of the FM3 and called it the AFX 3, I would prefer the AFX 3. :D :tonguewink:
I remember this conversation back in April 2019, if I recall heat was the main reason they could not get the whole AX3 product minimized into a floor unit.

I remember this conversation back in April 2019, if I recall heat was the main reason they could not get the whole AX3 product minimized into a floor unit.

Yea I was just kidding. :) Plus even if they could it would cost twice the price.

Back
Top Bottom