Why can't the axe sound like this?!

andersen

Inspired
Ive been haunting 6505 tones ever since i got the axe about a year ago, and ive just never found anything that is spot on. Ive tried myself, tried TM, tried presets from this forum, presets from axe change, presets from the big guys on youtube and nothing just seems to get it. Seriously considering to go buy the damn thing, however i shouldnt be necissary being an axe owner..
Peavey 6505 - Metal Demonstration - YouTube
Anybody out there who has a tone like this??? Or is capable of replicating it somehow?

I personally haven't played with those types of tones (yet) but do enjoy them. That one seems pretty straight forward. What are you missing when you try to dial it in?

Im missing that 6505 characteristics tone. The sound from the distorted tubes, its hard to explain. I just feel the axe is so empty in tone and is just missing that brutality the amp clearly has

I'm not a "high-gainer" but I agree with Narzugon, this should be relatively easy to dial in. In fact, I'm sure there must be dozens of presets like this available for download in the Axe-Change site.

Fairly easy to dial in that tone- what we're talking about here is a perception issue.
What you are hearing though is a combination of bass, drums and double tracked guitar.
When people hear music they often blend the bass and guitar together- have a listen to, say, early Soundgarden albums.
The guitar sounds massive but that is because the bass playing is right in sync with the guitar.
The guitar tones themselves are actually not that big, but there is a lot of them, but also we *hear* the guitar and bass as essentially one thing.

Fairly easy to dial in that tone- what we're talking about here is a perception issue.
What you are hearing though is a combination of bass, drums and double tracked guitar.
When people hear music they often blend the bass and guitar together- have a listen to, say, early Soundgarden albums.
The guitar sounds massive but that is because the bass playing is right in sync with the guitar.
The guitar tones themselves are actually not that big, but there is a lot of them, but also we *hear* the guitar and bass as essentially one thing.

This is very very true. You really need a isolated guitar track to find that sound.

just for a giggle, i had a go

ts808 - drive 5, level 8
pvh6160II - drive 3, input gain 2, bass 7, mid 3, treb 7, pres 6, master 6 (copied from the vid), input trim 2 (cos he's in the high input)
cab - 4x12 recto v30 (rw) + 4x12 german v30 (rw) - factory cabs 43 and 47 - both with a 57

sounds badass to me

if you like more oomph in the bottom end, just swap the german for the other german (no 63) or the v30 (no 62)

Yeah, mine was set similar.

I used TS808 Mod (because of its higher HiFreq setting), Drive at 0.
Very low Input Drive in the amp, tone settings similar to picture in video.
A 3rd party V30cab (although it sounded closer when I selected the Petrucci V30 after recording).

P.S. I actually like the sound of this amp.

Last edited:
Yeah, mine was set similar.

I used TS808 Mod (because of its higher HiFreq setting), Drive at 0.
Very low Input Drive in the amp, tone settings similar to picture in video.
A 3rd party V30cab (although it sounded closer when I selected the Petrucci V30 after recording).

P.S. I actually like the sound of this amp.
That's it, man, unleash your internal metal-head!

Edit - don't ask. I'm just bored at work.

Yeah, most of these threads are from people who don't appreciate that the awsum brootulz that they're hearing on X track/YouTube are mixed with multiple guitar layers, bass and the kick landing on the downbeat, giving the track extra oomph. If you were to listen to most isolated guitar tracks, they actually sound quite thin, and for a good reason. They thicken up with double or quad tracking and leave room for the bass to thicken up the guitar sound and not step on the toes of the kick drum.

Im missing that 6505 characteristics tone. The sound from the distorted tubes, its hard to explain. I just feel the axe is so empty in tone and is just missing that brutality the amp clearly has

There's not near as much power amp distortion in that tone as you think !

I'm on vacation now and not back for a week or so, but I agree with everyone else, should be easy to cop that tone ....

Thx for everything guys, appreciate it. However i think that riff after the intro in the vid, is a single tracked riff right? Just to clear off everyone saying what i hear is layering.
I use xlr straight out to krk rokit 10s monitors btw

Back
Top Bottom