Why are you waiting for the MFC?

I have a hard time selling gear because... well... I'm neurotic. I keep things forever. In that light, I don't want to buy a LF and then have to try and sell it for the MFC, especially at a loss. Also, the MFC is supposedly going to be cheaper.

I'm in quite the need for a good foot controller as it's a major thing holding me back from using the AXE to gig. I'm still using my old Vetta for gigs... which makes me cry inside everytime I turn it on.

If I knew it was going to be another year or something, then I would just get the LF Jr.

The ONLY reason I am waiting is rumors are it's a stepped design layout, which is about TIME!

Owing many midi pedals and looking at many pedals, I cannot Fathom why these designers always design a flat board that is prone to hitting the switch below it.

Yes some people claim there’s works fine and maybe I have a big foot. My response to them is either they have a tiny foot, pointed shoe or they are frozen in a stationary position on stage where they can do the “grasshopper pose” to switch channels.

Like any product we use for years and then someone re-designs it we say, “why didn’t someone think of that earlier”. This is the same case.

So hopefully Fractal keeps this stepped design in their plans because the last thing we need is another Midi pedal that looks like the rest!

I bought a Behringer FCB1010 over a year ago knowing up-front I'd hate it, but I needed something to tide me over for a few months :p until the MFC came out. If I thought it was gonna take this long I would have bought something more pro from the start. I briefly considered a LF, but the MFC design looks great. So, unless Cliff tells us it's cancelled or something, I'm gonna hang in there until it ships.

It'd be nice to know the latest guess-timate is for arrival, but every time Cliff mentions a timeframe he gets quoted all over the web and then chewed out later on when it slips. If I was Cliff, I wouldn't talk until I had new concrete information.

No bitching, this is what it is.

MisterE said:
I can understand the reason for all the IA's.
I'm using a Gordius LG-X right now.

When in song mode, I only use about 3 - 5 switches, depending on the song.
When using it as a direct access pedal, I want to be able to use it as the Vetta's FBV, only with more IA's.
That's how a lot of people want it I suppose.
Be able to choose 6 presets and be able to instantaneously switch on/off effects.
With the Gordius, I have the top 5 buttons for PC, and the bottom 8 for IA.
D1 and D2 give me an additional 8 IA's each.
The only problem so far is, that I have to program for each bank what IA's are use for each preset.
If the MFC could do this directly, without me having to program what's used and what's not, it would definitely be worth the wait.

Well, using the Gordius you could use 1 preset per bank with your PC on say switch 1 and set it as the default switch...this would engage the selected preset automatically. You can then apply a dependancy rule to "recode" switch 1 to be whatever you need it to be once the PC message has fired.
I, for example, use it this way (I have an LG):
Select BAnk 1
Bank 1 is dedicated to axefx preset 001. Switch 1 is the I/A which contains PC 001. I have switch 1 as a defalt switch which automatically fires PC 001 when i stop on BAnk 1.
Using Gordius dependancy rule, switch 1 then becomes my Drive 1 CC switch immediately following the PC 001 message stream.

The same is true for BAnk 2-6...i dont use more than 6 different amps.
I am not a big tap dancer, so the 8 available I/A's are CC's for my stomp boxs which i have assigned to the global bank with some of the deeper more infrequently accessed stomps in Direct 1 and 2. I have a full 32 I/A's available to me within 2 clicks. I only had to set up the global and Direct banks once , the only additional programming was which Axefx preset on which bank in the Gordius.
Just the same, as you know from owning a Gordius- any of the CC'c could be PC switches...it's a simple and quick setup change in the editor.

BAck on topic,
I am waiting on the MFC...have been for two years, but that didnt keep me from picking up a useful tool in the meantime. I picked up a Gordius LG about a year and a half ago.
Personally, I dont care how long it takes fractal to get the unit up and running. It will be released when it's complete and at that time I will buy one because i want to.
Thats just my position, I can see that others have different opinions, needs and desires.

@Mike

It's something similar I do.
But I have the LG-X and use the direct banks as extentions. So I have 24 IA's.
But it's the programming in the dependency rules I find tedious.
For each bank and each preset I have to set the IA's in the dependency rules.For now, I use a fixed place for all;
But if somehow I would want to move IA's, I would have to go through all the banks and change all dependency rules for each preset.
I asked Xavier if it wouldn't be simple just to be able to assign IA's globally and, since in the preset page, you have to program which IA's are used and their state, let the LG set the state of the LED according to what's programmed. I got a no on my request.

@ OP
This is what I'm missing at the moment.
That's why I'm currently waiting on the MFC.
But I can cope and the Gordius does just fine.
I could have managed with the Mitigator as well for Song mode only.

I'm waiting. I thought Srooijens summed things up very well.

When I bought my Ultra, I thought it would be great to have a dedicated foot controller made by the same people who displayed their great engineering skills to bring about the unit itself.

Since I'm not currently in a band, I can wait, but I did decline an invitation to demo it for some people because it would have been unflattering to the device without a foot controller, making it seem more complex than it really is.

Sidivan said:
I have a hard time selling gear because... well... I'm neurotic. I keep things forever. In that light, I don't want to buy a LF and then have to try and sell it for the MFC, especially at a loss. Also, the MFC is supposedly going to be cheaper.

I'm in quite the need for a good foot controller as it's a major thing holding me back from using the AXE to gig. I'm still using my old Vetta for gigs... which makes me cry inside everytime I turn it on.

If I knew it was going to be another year or something, then I would just get the LF Jr.

Have you tried running the AFx with the Vetta/FBV as a controller? That's what I used to do...

southpaw68 said:
Why are you waiting for the MFC?

Because I think I'll have a better chance of finding a used LF jr then.

:lol: That's funny.

Not bitching and not waiting. I couldn't wait, and don't think much on what's currently on offer, which IMHO ranges from cheap stuff with awful interfaces and show-stopping limitations to seriously over-priced gear (ok - I know some of them are good and they have low sales volumes) ... so I built my own. It's not that hard, and if you build your own, you can design it to do exactly what you want.

Here it is:
http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~gmarts/mfc/mission_control.htm

You = "All the bitching/whining/pleading about the MFC is really bizarre. I can't even begin to understand why people think they're owed this pedalboard or they can't finish their rig until it ships or whatever."

I'll take these in turn:

What's bizarre is the seemingly absolute refusal to give any sort of timely update on a product that's eagerly awaited for a about a year. Someone else mentioned it before, but I'll repeat it here: I'd almost wish you said nothing about a Fractal floorboard, then plant the seed then proceed to not water it.

As far as the "owed" part, if the floorboard has a MSRP or even a penny then the people waiting for it don't think they are "owed" anything. They are merely consumers, trying to give someone money, and being denied.

Can you finish your rig without the floorboard? Absolutely. But speaking for myself only, if I'm alloting 2500$ for a floorboard/processor combination, I don't want to do any programming of my floorboard. I didn't have to do it for your so called "lesser" competitors, I shouldn't have to do it here, and I won't. I'll just wait, or, grab a competing floorboard/processor product if something comes along that can do what I need it to do.

A bit of unsolicited advice: perhaps you sure include sysex for all the popular floorboards currently on the market, or at least get the community to do it, and offer as a free download from wiki. I've read there have already been attempts to do this, and they should be supported. The MFC will still sell when it's released, and you eliminate the problem of people waiting to buy Axefx, which is not good considering you know that has to be someone working on an Axefx killer at this point.

After looking at what the Liquid Foot does and what is planned for the Fractal controller, I realized that they are aiming for different tastes....and price points. If Cliff keeps to the "less than $600" claim, he will do very well with his controller....and probably make some other companies change or loose market share.

The Liquid Foot is just under a grand, is much bigger, has more IAs and can do anything that a controller can do....and more. I think it is for the guy who wants a lot of control. Not everybody needs 16 IAs.

The Fractal controller will fit most people's needs easily at a great price point. The LF is more of what I want.

That's why I stopped waiting.

I settled for the Ground Control and if the MFC comes out and has better controls for the axe at a good price i will probably get it specially if it has the tuner in the controller !!!

Back
Top Bottom