Why are there so many d*ckheads on Facebook?

Don't know. We all probably have a distorted view. The people on FB that I know personally don't act stupid or post anti-social BS. That's probably the same for most of us around here (unproven assumption). It's always THEM damn idiots on FB that nobody knows personally. That leads me to the conclusion that a small fraction of the whole FB user base gives the platform a bad name. The FB companies use of user data to make money is an entirely different thing, though.

I have never been on facebook, twitter, snapchat, what's app, linkedin, .....
Maybe it is because I am 51 and I don't grow up with such thing.
I didn't really see the point of it.
I prefer by far forums where I can share my view on focused things that I am interested in.
And just that.

I can not comment on facebook etc, .... but I have faced recently something I disliked very much.
Not exactly related to facebook itself, but let me explain
I am french. in october 2017, I decided to make a week holiday in New york city with my family
For that, I had to apply to a tourist visa and fill a formular.
I clearly understand the goal, the reasons etc, nothing wrong with that.... but not exactly the form itself
In this formular , after 100 question about many aspects , it was asked to deliver ALL my accounts and password for social network, emails etc... (facebook , twitter, linkeding, etc.... private emails etc...)
I don't have any account on social network, but it was NOT an option ! you can not choose to answer that you don't have any account.
you HAVE to provide an account and passwords.

all of this thing goes to far.
After a discussion with my wife, I have decided not to provide any information and I let everything empty in the formular.
I took the risk to have to cancel my holidays, flight, hotels etc...
Our visa has been accepted, and we had a great time in New york city.

I went many many time to the USA for holidays.
I love USA, the people, the country, ....
I must admit that if it goes further in this direction I should reconsider it (with regret).

I am just a normal guy.
I just can not expose my entire life everytime I want to make holiday in the USA.

Literally 10 minutes ago , I just found one single good result of having Facebook. My wife looked on there , when we got home from an appointment. When she did , she spotted a picture of a dog , that her coworker posted , as a stray that wandered into her lawn.
The wife recognized the dog as her brother's. Called his cell. He had been driving around for 2 hours , looking , when she called. Pup was 3 miles away. Poodle/Yorkie mix. About 10 lbs. Facebook to the rescue.
Now , if there was only a way to filter out the other 99%

Well I m not a kid, viet nam vet so that kind of tells you. I also was in the IT arena for a long time. So, love tech. But I never was on FB until about a year and half ago.
I did have one very positive experience, I linked up with old friends for High school in New York.

I only contact old friends, that's it...........No locations BS and such
But since then it has been downhill all the way.

Well I m not a kid, viet nam vet so that kind of tells you. I also was in the IT arena for a long time. So, love tech. But I never was on FB until about a year and half ago.
I did have one very positive experience, I linked up with old friends for High school in New York.

I only contact old friends, that's it...........No locations BS and such
But since then it has been downhill all the way.

....the very same reason I got talked into Facebook. I don't use it. The wife watches it.

In related news, our local newspaper announced today that they were shutting down their online Comments section. They cited ongoing bullying, racist and profane posts as a contributing factor. They said they've had to disable 230 accounts for such behavior. This is a small town paper with a daily print circulation of around 23,000.

D^*kheads indeed.

Peoples' inherent dickish nature + anonymity + the ability to instantly reply with a worldwide audience == My loss of faith in humanity

"Molière was here —June 4, 1666"
340500-200.png

"Molière was here —June 4, 1666"

Early archeologists (you could call those tomb robbers hardly that though) of the 19th century also left their names all over Egypt's famous monuments. And if you know where to look for you can find ancient graffiti going back to Roman times.

Nothing brings civility to the discussion quite like the possibility of getting punched in the face. When that downside to incivility is removed altogether things inevitably deteriorate.

Me? I just have beers with people I like. I'm not on facebook or anywhere else. If you want to talk to me, we go to a bar and have a beer. We don't argue, we don't show each other vacation pics, and we don't do politics. Just beer, and maybe a sandwich or nachos as well. There's too much negativity in the world as it is. I'm 41 years old, I don't have time for negative people or for heated arguments that don't change anyone's mind.

Back
Top Bottom