Why are there so many d*ckheads on Facebook?

Terrible isn't it,
Unfortunately, you can walk away from Facebook thinking that people are now fucked.
I had an account once, but found that even individuals I thought were OK became the types that judged others based on assumptions and incomplete facts, and started taking photos of their meals, coffees, sunglasses, etc... Suddenly I was one of those people that was spending 15 minutes a day swiping through these idiot pictures and shaking my head at these judgmental posts. So... I deleted my account. That was years ago and it's given me back that time (woohoo bonus!), and (even better) I'm not getting pissed off at how stoopid the human race has become :)

If you've never seen the movie Idiocracy - look it up... It's like coming true haha!

Anyway - have a great day all of you... Think I'll go prepare a 3 unit space in one of the racks :)

Thanks
Pauly

Never use the site but curiosity got the better of me today. Wow, so much vitriol and snarkiness.

I like that I reconnected with a few old friends. Not so much that i reconnected with acquaintances that I didn't really need to get back in touch with. I try to stay out of the stupid stuff, and in general the Fractal groups are pretty dissappointing. Like the Tom Anderson group. Stays pretty positive, but it does feed my GAS too.

Like so many things in life, FB is what you make of it.

There are many tools that allow you to control the experience. One of my faves is "unfollow", that allow you to not see stuff from people that you've decided aren't worth clogging up your feed, and keeping you from seeing stuff from people that you DO want to keep up with. Plus, there are "blocking" tools for people who go off the deep end on you.

FB Purity is an add-on that allows you to control what you see, in many personalizable ways. I couldn't deal w/ FB without it.

A few years ago Umberto Eco, an italian Nobel prize, said this:

"Social media gives right to speak to legions of morons which previously could only talk in a bar while drinking a glass of wine, without damaging collectivity. They were immediately shut down, while now they have the same right to speak as someone who won a Nobel prize."

At the time I thought he was just being a bit rude trying to defend his status, but now I think he was totally right.

Hate social media but, except for the occasional idiot I encounter, I love playing co-op zombie mode on call of duty. I have met interesting strangers and has many enjoyable experiences with it, so perhaps there is some hope for the human race.

I wonder when or if the “in” thing to do is not I use social media? A friend of mine still carries an ancient cell phone, and kids actually compliment him on it thinking he is some sort of aging hipster when he is really just a cheap ass.

FB is designed to make money the more you read and "stay on".

As such, it's in their best interest to get emotional reactions, good and bad, from their subscribers. It generates revenue. They need dicks lol

My wife and discuss this a lot. I think a small service fee, e.g. $7USD a month, would help offset their revenue and give them an opportunity to cut down on the "pot stirring".

“The best minds of my generation are thinking about how to make people click ads. That sucks”

- Jeff Hammerbacher, a 28-year-old Silicon Valley tech whiz who went from being an early employee at Facebook to co-founding the data analysis start-up Cloudera, in Ashlee Vance’s BusinessWeek story 1

Have never used Facebook at all; I frankly loath the entire platform and about 95% of social media. It's never ceased to amaze me how people are willing to give up a ton of personal privacy/data for a nefarious, untrustworthy, unregulated, company/companies to monetize that data.

“Businesses that make money by collecting and selling detailed records of private lives were once plainly described as ‘surveillance companies,’” wrote the former National Security Agency contractor. “Their rebranding as ‘social media’ is the most successful deception since the Department of War became the Department of Defense.”
-Edward Snowden (@Snowden) March 17, 2018

"Social media gives right to speak to legions of morons which previously could only talk in a bar while drinking a glass of wine, without damaging collectivity. They were immediately shut down, while now they have the same right to speak as someone who won a Nobel prize."

In the early days of the Internet/social media everyone was heralding the democratization of anybody's thoughts, points of view, rants, etc. to be able to reach a global audience, and the overthrowing the 'gatekeepers' of the then conventional media (magazines, newspapers, etc.).

That promise of a better world went in the exact opposite direction IMO.

Content was vetted a lot better back then, and there was no global audience for idiots. Hard to say if we are really better off these days.

I find myself missing the days of curated content, higher, more stringent standards, and better journalism.

And, the most depressing thing about Facebook is how it reveals a great deal about how pathetic, irrational, and close minded a lot of humans, adults particularly, really are.

I recently read a book titled "Everybody Lies" where a data scientist does a deep dive in Google, Facebook, and many top web sites that collect user data and builds profiles of them. He analyzes the search data, etc. and, in a nutshell, the disconnect between reality and fiction is off the scale. Facebook, and most social media, is a torrent of complete BS; that's pretty much the bottom line. Agrees with my general assessment o_O

Last edited:
If you think Facebook is bad, have a gander at YouTube comments.

youtube.png

If you think Facebook is bad, have a gander at YouTube comments.

Oh yea....

Churchill said "the greatest argument against democracy was a five minute conversation with the average voter on the street."

In this day and age, amend that to read "the greatest arguments against democracy are YouTube comments."

Throw in "Yahoo" news comments and most of social media too...

You just have to watch the right videos. I love to use Youtube as a platform for information. Just like I used to use Facebook back when I had an account. I know it's not the "usual" way to use these platforms, but there are SO many good videos on Youtube, I wouldn't want to miss it! A very good example was posted some days ago: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYO_jab_esuFRV4b17AJtAw
But when I look at what videos are trending, I quickly lose faith in humanity. Most of the videos are pure garbage... That alone isn't the sad part, the sad part is that the majority of our kids spend several hours a day to watch this crap! No, the earth is NOT flat! No, the moon landing was NOT fake! And so on...

I stopped using facebook years ago and haven't looked back. Never regretted it. Facebook is for:

1. stressing out about trying to look good all the time to you make your facebook "friends" jealous of the life you're supposedly living.
2. bragging about... well anything and everything, really. see #1.
3. making a fool of yourself by posting inappropriate rants about politics, religion, and/or sexuality that will remain online and traceable back to you for years to come.

Actually, the best well-wish I've heard in a while is: "May your life be as good as everybody else portrays theirs to be on social media."

And, the most depressing thing about Facebook is how it reveals a great deal about how pathetic, irrational, and close minded a lot of humans, adults particularly, really are.
My hope is that in the long run Facebook will act as a "big mirror" for those people so they can watch theirselves and eventually evolve.
But till now it's only been something that helped them find each other and convince them even more of their beliefs. Flat-earthers are a good example of this.

While I know YouTube has a lot of stupid BS, probably even the majority of the content, I seriously wish I had it around when I was learning to play. I know not all of the "how to play" videos are great and accurate, but it really beats the hell out of the learning resources we had when I was starting out.

Back
Top Bottom