Why are there so many d*ckheads on Facebook?

I hate social media with a passion. Its making people stupid and anti social, as everyone is stuck watching their tiny idiot screen. Even when you're on a date with a hot girl you're constantly competing against the tiny ping that says a new message or post has arrived. Whatsapp is the only useful tool in my opinion, as that at least allows for easier communication, not personal gratification and validation, as FB. But even then the distraction of the ping of a new text is killing for real life human interaction.

As for FB being useful as a marketing tool for bands, I have my doubts. People are inundated with adds and messages, adding your own events to that means very little. Unless yours are hilariously funny and original. And FB likes means squat as when you try to promote your own gig and a 100 people click that they will attend, be very very VERY lucky if only 10% of those actually materialize.

I hate social media with a passion. Its making people stupid and anti social, as everyone is stuck watching their tiny idiot screen. Even when you're on a date with a hot girl you're constantly competing against the tiny ping that says a new message or post has arrived. Whatsapp is the only useful tool in my opinion, as that at least allows for easier communication, not personal gratification and validation, as FB. But even then the distraction of the ping of a new text is killing for real life human interaction.

As for FB being useful as a marketing tool for bands, I have my doubts. People are inundated with adds and messages, adding your own events to that means very little. Unless yours are hilariously funny and original. And FB likes means squat as when you try to promote your own gig and a 100 people click that they will attend, be very very VERY lucky if only 10% of those actually materialize.
Amen to all you wrote here!

I use it to stay in touch with family and friends from all over. For that it is cool. I joined the Axe Fx III group thinking it was a good way to get quick news. I quit it soon after when I saw that it was nothing but bunch of whiny $%nts. I will just stick to the forums here lol.

People are already stupid!

Facebook just exposes that stupidity, and gives you access to see it :)

Our experience is that Facebook only reaches people who would have gone anyway. I doubt that Facebook posts have ever added so much as one new person to our audiences.

Having said that, we had a performance live streamed via FB, and some friends from all over the world watched. That was kinda cool.

Oh yea....

Churchill said "the greatest argument against democracy was a five minute conversation with the average voter on the street."

In this day and age, amend that to read "the greatest arguments against democracy are YouTube comments."

Throw in "Yahoo" news comments and most of social media too...

Churchill hit it , unfortunately.

Of course Youtube comments are worse , because of the anonymity.

While I don't believe people are inherently stupid, I do agree with the rest.

My concern is that (most) people are easily manipulated psychologically...particularly in groups.
Ignorance is a virus, FB (and social media in general) allows the virus to spread to new "host's" at speeds faster than we can immunize against. People equate popular to truth now... and it doesn't take too much thought to realize how dangerous those implications are to everyone.

Hopefully, this backlash wakes people up.

Some people I know use it very effectively to communicate and stay relevant in their circle of friends, bless their hearts.

Me on the other hand, have no attraction to social media.

My concern is that (most) people are easily manipulated psychologically...particularly in groups.
Ignorance is a virus, FB (and social media in general) allows the virus to spread to new "host's" at speeds faster than we can immunize against. People equate popular to truth now... and it doesn't take too much thought to realize how dangerous those implications are to everyone.

One of the biggest problems with FB , is that it creates a STAGE for people to vent. Bad idea.
.....on another note , WHY do I feel the need to click on your avatar when I see it..... no, I'm serious. Lol

One of the biggest problems with FB , is that it creates a STAGE for people to vent. Bad idea.
.....on another note , WHY do I feel the need to click on your avatar when I see it..... no, I'm serious. Lol

Agreed. "Stage" is wholly appropriate here. Although I don't lay "venting" solely on FB, I think the anonymity of the Internet has changed the standard of what is socially acceptable ( to everyone's detriment). We see people "vent" here frequently, some reasonably so, some not so much. Every board seems to have the same collection of character's, although in different distributions. Thankfully, it's still a positive discourse for the most part here. Cant help but think that even the most the contentious of us would get along just fine in person.

You feel the need to click on my Avatar because you appreciate a well made American guitar.........right?

FB = Time suck in fact thats what they should have named it.

It was interesting at first, reconnecting with old classmates checking out old girlfriends. Then it became a way to see what others are doing, then it became a way to check in with Family, then it became a huge wast of time.

As it is now FB has become nothing more than info mining for those that want to sell you something.

While I agree 100% that it exposes that stupidity, it also nurtures and enhances that stupidity. Like I said, it makes people addicted to their smartphones and behave like dicks in public. And I have to admit that even I have pulled out the idiot device from time to time when talking to other people.

Of course the biggest stupid enhancing effect is that FB, and the internet in general, allows like minded people to find each other and enhance each other in their stupidity. I daresay that that is why we have so many crazy extremists left and right running amok right now. It used to be that you had to go out of your way to find a fellow nutter, now FB and YT do the work already for you. And you can be in your own little echo chamber of like minded idiots creating a stupid intensifying feedback loop.

Like I said above, the internet allows crazies to find each other and reinforce their craziness almost exponentially.

Bill gates is all about reducing the population but he doesnt explain how you reduce a population? I can only thing of death and infertility? Watch the second vid on who his daddy was!

He's doing it to us slowly with all those damn windows updates that shut your computer down when you're in the middle of something and not paying close attention! Not many things raise my blood pressure more! :mad::eek:

I quit FaceBook 3 years ago (granted I was going through a divorce, and seeing my ex-wife was physically debilitating for me..) and I've never looked back. But the overall idiocy, closed minded, borderline psychotic behavior I read on there made me walk away. I came away so angry and disgusted so many times it finally occurred to me 'would I go back to a bar/coffeehouse/whatever when I walk out of there angry 40% of the time? No. I've never regretted it for a second.

This was also around the time they were going public. I posted several things about how this would change over time. How the execs at FaceBook would be beholding to shareholders, NOT users. That they would use the information that they had to enhance shareholder value, PERIOD. As a person in the industry, I know the power of companies knowing what you do, and how they can use that to their advantage. Sadly that has turned out to be more true than I thought.

I stop in once in awhile as there are some family members there that I might post some pictures of my girls. I don't bother to read other posts outside of some mild congratulations here and there. Once every 6 months MAYBE.

Ditto on the 'the internet is generally filled with idiots' posts. It's never been my philosophy that I would type some comment that I wouldn't say to someone's face. The internet is not wired (natch) that way.

The internet is what you are in the dark. When noone can see what you do, that is who you are.

Ron

We have created a generation that has nearly unlimited information, sometimes great intelligence but no sense of direction and many times a complete loss of common sense. When you walk around looking for a LIKE or a cute reply or you're just trolling for a quick dose of drama..... and that becomes more important than the REAL PEOPLE and WORLD around you!!!!???? Where are we headed? Future adults will be even more saturated in all of this :eek:o_O

I've been self employed for around 21 years now and usually try to keep one or two helpers. I've seen drugs (primarily prescription pills) and cell phones literally destroy the modern work force.

As far as population control, just give everyone an iPhone and place them beside the Grand Canyon!!! It wouldn't take long!:rolleyes:

We have created a generation that has nearly unlimited information, sometimes great intelligence but no sense of direction and many times a complete loss of common sense. When you walk around looking for a LIKE or a cute reply or you're just trolling for a quick dose of drama..... and that becomes more important than the REAL PEOPLE and WORLD around you!!!!???? Where are we headed? Future adults will be even more saturated in all of this :eek:o_O

I've been self employed for around 21 years now and usually try to keep one or two helpers. I've seen drugs (primarily prescription pills) and cell phones literally destroy the modern work force.

As far as population control, just give everyone an iPhone and place them beside the Grand Canyon!!! It wouldn't take long!:rolleyes:

....but think of those awesome animated pictures.
.....there goes your "Like" from me.
.....nice to see someone else that's self employed. Guess you're not telling your boss you're taking the week off to play with your III when you get it.
Hats off to you.

Back
Top Bottom