Why are there so many d*ckheads on Facebook?

I deleted all of my photos, purged my friends list, left all groups, and unfollowed any pages or companies I had liked. Deactivated my account a few days later and it stayed in that state for a couple of months. I reactivated it last month and added family and current close friends back to my friends list. Signal to noise ratio improved drastically.

All social media sucks, and frankly there are only a handful of forums that are worthwhile. Like this one, being the only one I currently visit.

Social media is a misnomer. It should be called "ANTI-social media".

I mainly use Facebook to find cute animal videos to show my wife. I also use it to promote band gigs, although I'm not convinced FB adds any value that our email list doesn't already have. It has also been handy for connecting up with friends I'd lost contact with, and also shown me which of those friends have turned into flaming asshats in the time I've been out of contact with them.

The rest of it is like having ringside seats to the implosion of civil, intelligent society.

You just have to watch the right videos. I love to use Youtube as a platform for information.

Absolutely....despite my earlier rantings I love YouTube to death and spend more time then I should on it. I learn an incredible amount from that platform and there are indeed many amazing science/documentary/learning resources on it.

I terminated my account during Trump / Clinton. Talk about ugly. I restarted a few months ago but just for some of the music and cycling groups I like. I only "follow" family members. I don't see anyone's posts unless I go looking.

I just hope we realize that we're probably not evolved enough for social media before it's too late.

I never liked Facebook and likely never will.

Our vocalist however is an ardent supporter of it (he's a sales manager in his day job - so he gets all excited about marketing etc). He's always banging on about how the band page needs more and more likes.

It just so transpired that an old mate of his now living and working in LA happens to be seeing a lot of Steve Perry so this mate shot a video of Steve Perry watching a video of us playing Don't Stop Believin' on his phone and then giving our vocalist a compliment - then the clip was posted on Facebook. The thing went nuts ... thousands of views within hours it seemed like ..... yes the 'likes' certainly went up in a hurry but the only problem being it was mostly women of a certain age from the US - who in turn shared with their US based friends and Perry fan clubs.... hardly a great marketing boost for a cover band from Belfast to get local people through the doors!

Anyway that's the preamble to what then happened ..... totally banal and stupid commentary spin off video clips based on what Steve Perry was 'perhaps' doing - based on observing the background of the video o_O. The whole point of the commentary videos being to generate traffic and income to the video posters ....... and all were just total bullshit supposition. It was just a bit of fun and Steve Perry was up for it. I'm sworn to secrecy about where the exact location was and why Steve Perry was hanging there to protect the privacy of both him and the guy with him - but it was nothing to do with shooting a promo video or recording new Perry material.

(Yet more name dropping alert) We were so tickled by the reaction of that video we had another one planned with a twist on the original one. Our bass player is Vivian Campbell's younger brother (our vocalist also was Viv's mate at school) so we were organising a similar type video where Joe and Viv would be watching us play a Def Leppard cover ..... but this time instead of compliments they would say we were utter crap :)

Unfortunately our bass player suffered a tragic family bereavement and has had to take an extended leave of absence so it never transpired.

Sorry for wandering off topic a bit - but the mad thing was the bull 'commentary' waffle about nothing remotely true videos designed to be shared in social media and snare Perry fans into viewing. I find it quite sinister that people can create income like that.

I vowed to never have a FB account. Broke my vow to take advantage of Fractal Black Friday Sale that was supposedly only advertised there. Missed the sale, tried to remove my account and found they have insidious little hooks to keep your account open. Finally managed to get it removed and never again.....as Billy and Dusty say 'I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole'.

I see people outside of facebook and they’re usually okay.
I see people on facebook and they are all awesome.
Somethings gotta give...

And all you guys use browser extensions like NoScript + RequestPolicy or uMatrix (I use this one) etc? You regularly clean your cookies?

If you don't and think you don't have a facebook account, well SURPRISE, you DO have one!

Go to South Africa right now with the genocide going on or to India where out door bathrooms are still the majority or Chad, Lybia, and other places and you will realize the facebook crowd which I never joined are visionaries! LOL!

Its all relative. No wonder the secret societies want depopulation!

Bill gates is all about reducing the population but he doesnt explain how you reduce a population? I can only thing of death and infertility? Watch the second vid on who his daddy was!

I guess this family was the leader in depopulation!

Since I will be kicked off here for this you might as watch the real shit!

Oh by the way I am an atheist!

Head of the FBI!

Back
Top Bottom