Why are all the factory presets so bass heavy??

This is not a bash just a simple question? I’ve used my Musicman Axis, Pete Thorn Suhr, Les Paul and my American Strat. No matter what guitar I use its as if there’s a blanket over the speakers. Do I need to reset all the amp blocks??
I’m playing at pretty loud volumes through a pair of Yamaha HS7’s

20.04 firmware
It’s about the monitors and the room, not the presets.

Check my thread here:

Thread 'They all sound different (monitor dilemma) - Final verdict'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...fferent-monitor-dilemma-final-verdict.180747/

And

Thread 'Focal Shape 65 vs Adam A7X'
https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/focal-shape-65-vs-adam-a7x.182695/

In my room the Focal Shape with passive radiators and no back/front port are the best sounding. Welcome to the journey! It will make you spend money and do a lot of trials and errors.

Comparing the factory presets to other amp modellers they are great. Comparing them to an amp and cab setup you might want more mids and less lows.
Be careful about the highs. Before boosting them try if they are already good at higher listening volumes.

Factory presets sound pretty good with a xitone monitor at ear level imo -- once I was having a brightness issue and it turned out it was the wah automatically turned on due to the pedal position that I didn’t notice 😂

i don’t find them overly bassy personally and definitely no wet blanket; something sounds awry

This is not a bash just a simple question? I’ve used my Musicman Axis, Pete Thorn Suhr, Les Paul and my American Strat. No matter what guitar I use its as if there’s a blanket over the speakers. Do I need to reset all the amp blocks??
I’m playing at pretty loud volumes through a pair of Yamaha HS7’s

20.04 firmware
Have the same issue and thought it was the guitars which I have changed picks on (LP 35 black beauty, Fender Master built and Suhr Standard). But then again I wrongly strive for to much treble so in the middle of getting used to less treble. But yes it seems as if I have to use both treble and high treble and eq on the amp block to get it up there..., but trying to get used to less treb.

Factory presets sound pretty good with a xitone monitor at ear level imo -- once I was having a brightness issue and it turned out it was the wah automatically turned on due to the pedal position that I didn’t notice 😂

i don’t find them overly bassy personally and definitely no wet blanket; something sounds awry
Same for me with my XiTone (minus the wah part) can easily get lost playing just going through the factory pre's because a lot of them sound so good to me. Low or high volume they sound good.

I found that the “bass heaviness” differs a lot, depending on the playback/amplification situation. On my studio monitors some presets could indeed use a little bass trimming, same with my Laney active cab. On the GR however all sounds well (balanced).
Bottom line, after some tweaking I can make the FM3 sound glorious on all of them, my go to presets to this day are still tweaked factory presets with “Plexi” in the name, in the studio as well as on stage.

was just going to humbly point out... I have some adam 8" speakers and an older set of event 8s that I use, plus a sub. My sub is so barely on that it is almost non-existent. 8" monitors are already very capable of reaching down (38Hz in the case of my adams so the sub is filling in 60 and down). Even when playing bass guitar thru my monitors only (and for bass I just love dark)... until I'm cranking my studio speakers that sub is barely there.

I suppose something that could rule the environment/sub issues out pretty quick would be a good set of headphones. Probably a good idea to frame the problem first.

for the record I find all the factory presets to be absolutely meticulous afa mix. that said... my ears are probably crap bcuz "i slappa da bass" hehe.

I too find the presets woolly. None of them made sense to me until I plugged in a Tele.

It's not just you. I mean, there are certainly works of genius in the factory presets...but the EQ balance is wildly different than what I prefer.

If you're a rock player, check out Leon Todd's presets. Those helped me get my poop together on the 3.

Because your speakers are bass heavy.
I have a pair of Atomic CLR’s. I tend to feel while they may posses plenty of low end if wanted, I wouldn’t really consider them bass heavy. I use them for home playing. I also have the Axe II for gigging with a SS pa and guitar cabs. Different ‘animal’ for sure.
With the factory presets for the volume I play at home, many IMO are bass heavy, (more often the low to high gain tones) and some are really good.
I understand the FM curve (they were made at basically gig volume if I’m correct) personal taste, guitar pickups, room, and the playback system will all have an effect on the tone.
I value your opinion... What’s your take on the CLR’s sir?

Back
Top Bottom