Why all the Metal??????

Marcus are you replying to me or in general?

In general. I just don't get this being so defensive about something you (in general) like, or being so aggressive towards something you dislike. We all have different tastes, it is ok to like something, even if the rest of the known universe might hate it, as well as it is absolutely ok to dislike something that everybody else loves.

Unfortunately that is part of the nature of forums...

In general. I just don't get this being so defensive about something you (in general) like, or being so aggressive towards something you dislike. We all have different tastes, it is ok to like something, even if the rest of the known universe might hate it, as well as it is absolutely ok to dislike something that everybody else loves.

Right. Ok. Am I to understand that the OP is wondering why there are more video demos and axe-change files of metal tones than other types? I see. And he is curious to know why this may be, considering the vast capabilities and versatility of the AxeFx II? Perhaps I could infer that the OP would like to see more vids and uploaded patches of other types of tone? Interesting...

So just to be clear- This thread was NOT intended to be about who does or does not like metal and why?! WHAAATT???

Mind officially blown...

There are a few specific genres that people laugh at and metal is one of them. Metal is not cool. I don't get why metal players think they are cool... they're not. Well that's a generalisation but I think that's what we're talking about here.

"You're not into that... you know... metal thing are you" is one of the most common questions people ask me when I say that I play guitar. My answer is that I like all types of music as long as it has a soul... and I'm sorry to say this but most metal music is extremely narrow minded and superficial. How many more metal songs about atheism do we need? That's like every metal song this year.

Music is about delivering a message and the most idiotic way is to scream it so that no one understands what you're saying.

Kind of like your entire post and opinion.:lol

You shouldn't comment on things you have no clue about.

I feel for the metal guys .... I was shamed into wearing a "Disco Sucks" "T" shirt in the 80's.

It was hard -- but the alternative would have been far worse.

I guess I've been misunderstood since I thought everyone knew I'm a metal player. From the actual Scandinavian metal scene.

I just think many people start playing guitar because they "want to be metal" which is supposed to be a genre that connects the underdogs as Dio said but instead I fear it's becoming a new form of douchebaggery. "You don't have tattoos and piercings so you can't be metal" has been said to me by guys that listen to Nickelback and call it metal. :D

It's a genre that has never been cool or mainstream. There's nothing wrong with that. Steve Vai never made it to the radio either. Still all guitarists would love to be him.

I just honestly think that the genre got sidetracked like hippies that were supposed to love each other and nowadays they are just angry at everything. Same goes for metal.. everyone's a hater.

So I think many people play metal because they want to be "badasses". :D

I have a a joke side project where a friend and I are inventing a "harder than metal" genre. I am calling it "Diamond". He's replacing his 2 rack toms with 2 more kick drums for quadruple bass.

We kicked around calling it "Diamond Metal" as a poke at all the sub-genres out there.

Everyone stay calm - I'll be uploading some Axe-II "polka" demos shortly.

Polka slays.

Dude, yes! I can't wait to hear your accordion sim patch! I've been using "Poltergeist Pig" for my Polka/Hip-hop side project, and I think the guys are about to fire me. :)

I guess I've been misunderstood since I thought everyone knew I'm a metal player. From the actual Scandinavian metal scene.
That is BS Clark Kent and you know it! You are an alien from the planet Krypton. Your father is Jor'el and you were sent here as your planet exploded. Our sun gives you amazing powers which you use to save the people of Metropolis and charm the panties off of Lois Lane. Everybody knows that. Don't think you can just put on those fake glasses and fedora and convince everyone you're just a mild-mannered Scandinavian metal-head.

I think that you have a lot of "metal" guitarists, because they are the first victimes of "must get loud to sound good" and therefore the most likely to embrace stuff such as modelers, iso cabs and other neighbour relations items. I can have fun playing the blues on a nondescript amp at home. I can't play metal with a satisfying tone at home with a tube amp. No.way. Even a 1 watter can be too loud, actually.

That is why I posted this video bellow...nothing against metal...me like, but I believe that when you play with a lot of spaces and slow is when you get to really experience the beauty and the masterpiece of the axe-fx.

Very Nice " Sol De Jayuya" on your guitar!
Great Tone & playing as well. Sounds like a little "seis' infulence at 0:43 .
Siguen Palante GALLO!

Seems the thread turned into a question on the merits of metal! I do think the printed adverts for the Axe give the impression of a device aimed at metal. I saw it and ignored it a million times in Guitarist magazine.

i scroll through the presets to find the most insane distortion then i crank up the gain and rock out in drop b flat. most other things are a complete waste of time. mostly.

Different strokes people..

Axe fx is amazing for metal because you can get any amount of insane drive without the volume required. You get definition, punch, and ball breaking tone from these things. It allows the player to get these tones - with many different options for manipulation - that would otherwise cost tens of thousands of dollars to achieve. You can also have this wicked metal tone and with a split second switch go to a sparkling clean without worrying about any pedals that are currently running to tighten up the driven sound.

I'm guessing classic rock/jazz/blues/country players don't really use these as much because when dealing with less amounts of drive the amp can be manipulated by the tone/volume pots on the guitar to greater effect. That and the fact that you could buy a jcm800 and the Fender hot rod for about the price of the axe fx2 and get any tone for those genres that you'd desire.

For the record, yes there are many metal players that just chug and play power chords (beginners) - but just as many metal players are classically trained musicians with many talents and influences such as jazz/blues/classic rock/etc. If you're going to rip on metal players for playing power chords then you should throw Blues and their pentatonic scales under the bus while your at it. And ALL punk.. And most 60's rock.. And a big chunk of 70's rock.. And most everything from the Grunge period .. ;)

Back
Top Bottom