Why all the Metal??????

There's soooo many versions of metal when I think of metal its Heavy Metal its Judas priest, iron maiden,megadeth,accept. Some of the 7,8 string is just too much for me. Chug metal or Chu Chu Chu metal. Keep on Rocking whatever you play

I'm hearing alot of assumptions and stereotypes here and ultimately I don't feel that anyone should Judge anyone else's likes and dislikes. Not that I really like Periphery but they have done alot to promote the AXE FX as well as other metal guitarists. There is a lot of talk about guitarist like John Petrucci who say they use the axe fx when the rig rundown I saw he only uses the effects and not many at that.
I think that maybe metal guitarists are more likely to try new things where as blues and rock have a huge history with the boutique tube and pedal gear and it will take longer for that to change. I think this is more about those that like Metal and those that don't. Just my thoughts

Metal (in its various forms) is largely guitar-centric. This forum is also guitar-centric. If I create a BADASS metal tone- scooped enough to demonstrate grinding, articulate chugs with enough round mids for singing leads, I'm going to want to show it here. If I create tones that sit really well in the mix and sound great in whatever jazz, funk or rock ensemble I'm playing in, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to me to show it to y'all. I find that in most non-metal projects I'm playing in, my job is to add to the palate, and stay out of the way (frequency/volume-wise) most of the time. Metal is often guitar hero music, and I believe that is why you find a majority of people here who want to show off their heroic metal tones.

i havent read much of the above,
but some of us like metal rather than the same old strat playing some clean country noodle. i find that the boundries of whats possible with guitar and gear is pushed the most in metal and similar things.
im using blanket terms here ofcourse, but its the internet, its open to everyone. i dont post saying that im bored of another LP playing ACDC i just move on.hahaha

just to add, animals as leaders are metal, the kind of thing i listen to a lot. along with other things and thats way beyond a lot of music these days.
look to the future in music guys, not the past.

It could also just be a snowball effect. Maybe some of the early Axe-Fx adopters were metal/high-gain guys, they posted vids and more metal people came and they posted vids and so on (wrt to other types of players). I myself bought the AFX because of a you-tube video Mark Day posted (FW 9.02 on the Ultra), and I'm sure there are plenty of others who did the same. And to be honest, the AFX is cheap compared to most high end metal tube amps, so it's an easier sell in my mind.

I think there's a kind of 'feedback loop' - the Axe was better, initially at least, at high gain stuff, so more people who used those tones adopted it, then posted on this forum, which led FAS to dote more and more time to high-gain boutique amp models, which led to more metalheads adopting and so on.

I like some metal. I do burn out here on the seeming endless chug, dropped, 7 string, high gain 'meedly meedly' stuff, but hey, I'm a friggin experimental musician, not mainstream at all.

Still, the day will come when people like Clapton, Beck, etc. are playing Axe-FXs, or the descendants of said people will be playing the decendants of the Axe, and we'll see more focus on clean tones. For myself, I am satisfied. Once the Super Reverb came out, I was pretty happy - and I haven't even upgraded to MIMIC'd amps yet.

The other day, at a gig at the Colony Cafe, In Woodstock NY, I finally got to run a long cord out into the audience and hear my 'cab' (FRFR), unmic'd, in the room, with the bland playing, and I was well-pleased. I think it actually sounded BETTER in the room than on stage, and I neer would have guessed it wasn't a fender amp - except for how it looked.

Metal is just popular among guitar players, it's as simple as that. It's loud, angry, piss your parents off kinda music. It was late 80's Thrash Metal that really got me into guitar playing, but my tastes have diversified. I should probably keep my views on modern metal to myself...

I've noticed that there is a lot of metal guitarists on here...and I come on here every night to see whats happening and all these Metal style recordings are showing up...don't get me wrong I like some metal....but the axe can go far beyond that as we all know...I'm just surprised that other guitar such as country, blues, jazz, etc...haven't discovered Fractal Audio...I think its all the "metal" associated with the unit on youtube and alike. I think Fractal has to do more advertising for the "broader market" and reach the community as a whole. Being a blues/rock guitarist, I get so many questions about the axe fx 2 on my youtube channel from blues guitarists and country guitarists as well.... I'm just surprised they don'y know about it. The fractal website doesn't really explain how you can use the axe fx 2 very well for a new customer....as far as I'm concerned, youtube has been Axe Fx 2's main source of advertising and its endorsers.... I just think they can reach a lot more than predominately "metal guitarists". I've been doing my best to demo the product in the blues context and I've been reaching a lot of that market with my demos. Its a great product, too bad that everyone I mention it to doesn't even know what I'm talking about... :)

another thing, I think some in depth videos explaining different setups and how to tweak sounds would be very beneficial for the Fractal Audio website for beginners or advanced users. Fractal should consider paying some experienced users to do this and place them on their website. If the Axe Fx 2 was made simpler by making these videos I think the average guitarists would consider Buying one.... setting up a basic tone is easy but what about all the other stuff the fractal can do... VIDEOS? YES.

cheers!

Didn't scott peterson make a youtube video at Axe fest last year.

Yes I agree with Op. I enjoy metal to a degree but I really like Ola Englunds tones the best as far as metal goes. what I really love is some getting a really awesome rock sound or blues. Those dumble and trainwreks sound amazing to my ears. James Ryan did a nice youtube vid of FW10 where he went thru a lot of the kickass clean and moderatey distorted models of the axe2. I love that vid. And yes Phostenix, we need some cool funk showcases on here! Hell I'll link my fav axefx vids here:

Metal

Rock

blues rock- Even though theres a marshall sitting behind him he states hes using the axe2 and the marshall is just sitting there.

lol, I'm the guy with the PRS guitar.....thanks for adding me to your selected 3 videos...I thought that was pretty cool. :) cheers!

Total troll job. :)

I don't think so, he just stabbed into a bee gum :lol

Why all the metal? - just because they have fun doing it (I guess)

@ axecellent: Do you aware of my clean & dirty stuff? Well, I can't play metal (mostly because lack of technique - I'm not that super lightning fast as others). I love many guitar played styles of music, incl. Metal and therefor metal players have my full respect for their craft and passion. I found peace in what I'm able to do and how I feel it (and was since my beginning) - which I thought it will be completely "overlooked" here, but I got a lot of positive responces and reactions to my "clean tones" recordings here...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...-noodle-clip-featuring-bassguy-65-ods100.html
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/70901-deluxe-reverb-wow.html

I feel comfy in here....alongside with all those metal headz ;)

Back
Top Bottom