Why all the AI talk all of a sudden?

marsonic

Power User
It seems like every single thing I do online relating to music is talking about AI a lot more over the last couple weeks. Even here.

Does anybody have any idea why?

my 2 cents: there was some recent "breakthru" - Stable Diffusion aka "the machine will cut/paste/adapt/plagiarize existing art based on a prompt" (and reason you also have a new anti-AI movement) or GPT-3 (language) models with billions of vars aka ChatGPT that can understand and do really impressive stuffs...

so Artificial Intelligence is getting again popular.

Add on top that "training" the machine was always the hard part / needed a lot of power but with GPU and clouds... things are getting more and more affordable it adds on the hype...

eg: You can run stable diffusion locally with a gaming rig...

Now IA is a big word for not-very-intelligent models you can use for a lot of "I am not sure on how to code that", some form of AI can be used => AI is the new magic sauce ;-)
(interestingly, it's often sub-par solutions but when you have no solutions a sub-par solution beats everything...)

Spent a lifetime in I.T. - don't know much about AI, but spent enough time in the trenches to know how stupid computers really are - I'll never trust a car to drive me somewhere while I snooze. - too many possibilities, despite advances

Because people have finally given up on NI?
I26w7OD.gif

AI is only as smart as the PERSON doing the coding. A simple thing like a fractal can become quite complex though or stacking things on top of each other.

"Our miraculous brains operate on the next order higher. Although it is impossible to precisely calculate, it is postulated that the human brain operates at 1 exaFLOP, which is equivalent to a billion billion calculations per second."

"The same calculations and processes that might take a computer a few million steps can be achieved by a few hundred neuron transmissions, requiring far less energy and performing at a far greater efficiency. The amount of energy required to power computations by the world’s fastest supercomputer would be enough to power a building; the human brain achieves the same processing speeds from the same energy as is required to charge a dim light bulb."

I read a book several years ago written by a lady scientist that had studied the human brain for over 25 years. She and some of her colleagues had determined that a typical human brain had about a million years of memory storage. Is the modern world and habits making us better or worse?

Above two quotes from here:

https://foglets.com/supercomputer-v...nt of energy required,charge a dim light bulb

I’ll put forward the “experienced” (ie; cynical) view.
Humans seem to need to latch onto new things, and see them as the answer to all manner of shortcomings. Look at OO, neural networks, and AI…. Suddenly the technology becomes the answer to many. In my humble opinion, technology is a set of tools that may or may not help a specific problem (such as modeling an amplifier), depending on how it’s implemented.
I’ll stick with the axe fx 3, and trust Fractals direction, and tool set is the one I want, until it isn’t.
If past behavior is anything to go by, It’ll be a long time before that changes.
Thanks
Pauly

It seems like every single thing I do online relating to music is talking about AI a lot more over the last couple weeks. Even here.

Does anybody have any idea why?

I’ll put forward the “experienced” (ie; cynical) view.
Humans seem to need to latch onto new things, and see them as the answer to all manner of shortcomings. Look at OO, neural networks, and AI…. Suddenly the technology becomes the answer to many. In my humble opinion, technology is a set of tools that may or may not help a specific problem (such as modeling an amplifier), depending on how it’s implemented.
I’ll stick with the axe fx 3, and trust Fractals direction, and tool set is the one I want, until it isn’t.
If past behavior is anything to go by, It’ll be a long time before that changes.
Thanks
Pauly

People often read more into things than is really there. Hype sells. If you have a group of 100 people working a 40 hour week, doing nothing but promoting a certain product, idea or narrative in the right places on the internet and media, those 100 people can create a buzz that seems like half the world's population. This is far more dangerous than AI, although AI could play a big part in them amplifying their voices or taking away those of competitors. Our electronic universe used to look exciting to me, but now it's getting harder and harder to find something positive.

Yeah...everyone out there is using "AI" and "quantum"....so stupid
There is at least a half century at best if not even more until we'll reach singularity, and I don't think that passing Turing test will necessarily mean we reach singularity. It's debatable. We do not understand how our brain works yet..so figure AI
And about using "quantum".. omg..it is ridiculous how this therm is associated with so much stuff basically just 'cuz sounds ...let's say techy

Lets just hope AI isn't as stupid and greedy as us! :)

Thanks
Pauly

There is at least a half century at best if not even more until we'll reach singularity, and I don't think that passing Turing test will necessarily mean we reach singularity. It's debatable. We do not understand how our brain works yet..so figure AI
And about using "quantum".. omg..it is ridiculous how this therm is associated with so much stuff basically just 'cuz sounds ...let's say techy

Spent a lifetime in I.T. - don't know much about AI, but spent enough time in the trenches to know how stupid computers really are - I'll never trust a car to drive me somewhere while I snooze. - too many possibilities, despite advances

Didn't a Tesla cause another 8-car pile-up the other day? My car is older, but it has cameras and computer vision based adaptive cruise control and stuff. And as cool as it is, I turn it off 99% of the time because I got sick of having to slam the accelerator so it didn't stop on the highway because it saw a bug or something.

Our electronic universe used to look exciting to me, but now it's getting harder and harder to find something positive.

That seems a bit too pessimistic to me, but I see where you're coming from. I still think it's very much a net positive, but I have yet to figure out why a toaster needs wifi or why a car needs any remote access of any kind.

There is at least a half century at best if not even more until we'll reach singularity, and I don't think that passing Turing test will necessarily mean we reach singularity. It's debatable. W

I'm pretty sure I've talked to people in bars that couldn't pass the Turing test.

e do not understand how our brain works yet..so figure AI

That's not exactly right. We know a LOT about how the brain works. But we don't actually know what consciousness even is, let alone how it works.

Yeah....that one's probably a bit more ridiculous. There are a handful of claimed quantum computers out there. But...either they don't actually work or someone broke all modern cryptography and didn't tell anyone.

IDK...you'd think that I'd be more interested in AI...I have degrees in Psychology and Computer Science, and I've been published in both fields. But, somehow, the two just don't go together for me.

IDK...there have been a few indie news guys talking about ChatGPT and the AI image generators. ChatGPT is at least interesting. The AI image generators....they're just weird. Maybe the music side of it came from those plus Sonible's marketing campaign.

AI is only as smart as the PERSON doing the coding. A simple thing like a fractal can become quite complex though or stacking things on top of each other.

"Our miraculous brains operate on the next order higher. Although it is impossible to precisely calculate, it is postulated that the human brain operates at 1 exaFLOP, which is equivalent to a billion billion calculations per second."

"The same calculations and processes that might take a computer a few million steps can be achieved by a few hundred neuron transmissions, requiring far less energy and performing at a far greater efficiency. The amount of energy required to power computations by the world’s fastest supercomputer would be enough to power a building; the human brain achieves the same processing speeds from the same energy as is required to charge a dim light bulb."

I read a book several years ago written by a lady scientist that had studied the human brain for over 25 years. She and some of her colleagues had determined that a typical human brain had about a million years of memory storage. Is the modern world and habits making us better or worse?

Above two quotes from here:

https://foglets.com/supercomputer-vs-human-brain/#:~:text=The amount of energy required,charge a dim light bulb
That is not quite true. That's like saying a calculator is only as smart as the person using it. Not everyone needs to know the Taylor series for the square root or Some other approximation to press the √ button.

AI is being packaged up as a toolset that "mere mortals" can use. In effect, you only need to be able to imagine the problem to solve. You need not know anything about how to approach the solution.

Back
Top Bottom