Why 512 Presets?

Yes. Think of channels as working functionally like X Y does, but now as ABCD, and with no audio drop outs when switching. So you can’t have an amp for Channel that has different settings (except via scene controller modifier) but you can have a clone of the amp in channel B and change those settings.

Then again, now that X/Y is expanded to 4 channels, that's probably easier to program it with the channels.

Yes, with 8 amp channels available and each with its own settings I can't see the need for scene controllers anymore for adjusting input trim, gain etc across scenes - you can have a different amp channel per scene instead!

Plus all the drive & EQ blocks and their respective channels.....

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these

I'm really trying to wrap my head around all of this "needing more than 512 patches" thing.

First off, why would you do that to your self? Don't you like yourself?

Second, I can understand one song per patch. That's what I do, (but since I like me,) I only have my current live set, our current recording set, all with backups in secondary slots, just in case, and a few songs I'm currently working on. They are all spaced out over bank A, and B, but if I pushed them all together it would easily fit in Bank A. I keep everything else saved on my laptop.

Honestly, the only thing I can even KIND OF understand would be a "by request" cover band, but even then, with "one song per patch," it seems like it would be a lot more trouble than it's worth. In fact, it seems like it would be a show killer having to surf through hundreds of patches between songs to find the right song. But, like I said, I like me.

To paraphrase a quote: It's better to have 512 presets and use 300 than need 300 and only have 256.

You can always use Axe Edit to save an unlimited number of presets to your computer.

Would be nice if you could define a preset folder path on a hard drive, and when plugged in with USB, Axe-Fx III would map banks E, F, G, ..., Z to that folder and use it as a memory extension. USB has enough bandwidth that loading a preset from hard drive would take fraction of a second, the user wouldn't even notice any difference between a preset stored on the unit or on a PC.

Would be nice if you could define a preset folder path on a hard drive, and when plugged in with USB, Axe-Fx III would map banks E, F, G, ..., Z to that folder and use it as a memory extension. USB has enough bandwidth that loading a preset from hard drive would take fraction of a second, the user wouldn't even notice any difference between a preset stored on the unit or on a PC.
Have you tried Auto-audition in AxeManage Presets?

Last edited:
I was just curious what the thinking was behind rolling out the III with 512 presets?
why only 512 presets? The II XL+ already has 768 preset slots.

I thought the same thing when I first bought the Axe FXIII. It has less preset slots than the II XL+ and still doesn't have a Half Speed for the looper like the Axe FXII XL+ does. I expected the Axe FXIII to be better in all areas, or at least as good. They could probably update both of these things easily if they wanted to.

huh ?
What is this you speak of ?
1) Open Axe-Edit.

2) Go to Tools > Axe-Manage Presets.

3) Browse to wherever you keep your presets on your computer.

4) Click the AutoAudition button.

5) Click on any preset in the browser, and you’re playin’ it. ;)

1) Open Axe-Edit.

2) Go to Tools > Axe-Manage Presets.

3) Browse to wherever you keep your presets on your computer.

4) Click the AutoAudition button.

5) Click on any preset in the browser, and you’re playin’ it. ;)

Thanks. My studio is being revamped , so the unit is in my living room , hooked to a Friedman FRFR. ( wife loves it - NOT ). I haven't had the unit hooked to a computer yet. ( other than a firmware update ) I didn't know if this was available direct. Can't wait.

Holy SHITZ @Rex , 17, 700 messages......... just noticed. Wow. Looks like you've been around the block with FAS. Thanks for all the help around this place. Guys like you - make it happen.

Last edited:
I have Sonar as my DAW and it has a function called set list.You can create a song with no music and just do a program change message and save it for each song. This will change your AXE FX to the proper preset. When you are writing your song list for the night, You put your songs in the order you play them in set list and press the space bar to go to each song. You will then use your foot controller for scenes and channels and things. The downside is you need a laptop to do this. Your presets can be all over the place and the press of a space bar and you are on your next song. Another down side, it takes about 30 seconds to insert a song in case the order of you songs get changed by request from the crowd.

I started out doing this just recording and have changes happen automatically, then I realized I can do this live also. I take a small table and put my rack on one side and my laptop on the other and I can go from song to song with just the push of a space bar. And if this is not enough, if you have a midi track of keyboards for the whole song, you can actually change scenes within the preset also. I am not a fan of toe tapping all over the place. My goal per song is get to the song quick, and one button with scenes does changes within a preset. If by chance 8 scenes is not enough, I will switch to stomp mode for that. Guitar players should be focused on their playing not navigation.

I definitely would have preferred to keep 768 presets, but I can do with 512.

And I won't let anyone tell me that I should do with less. :)

There are many reasons why having a lot of preset slots is useful.

The most i have ever used during the life cycle of a unit is 100 presets 50 bass and 50 guitar and that was in a unit that had no scenes -Digitech GSP 21.

With 8 scenes per preset and 512 presets, that's 4,096 different unique rigs available.

Jimmy Page was probably the biggest recording gear whore using 12 or 15 different guitar rigs in some songs. Even he would be hard pressed to exceed 4,096 separate rigs.

I am not saying someone doesn't need that many rigs, it's just difficult for me to wrap my head around a larger number of rigs needed at instant recall for a single jam, performance, or single recording session.

Just think of what that would look like with physical equipment piled up.

I am not saying someone doesn't need that many rigs, it's just difficult for me to wrap my head around a larger number of rigs needed at instant recall for a single jam, performance, or single recording session.

Why should that be the criterium for the number of presets?

Just think of what that would look like with physical equipment piled up.
To be perfectly blunt, this is simply ridiculous. Why do members feel the need to understand or "wrap (their) head around" the way someone else chooses to use a product or feature? No one has remotely indicated they need "instant recall" of 512 presets or 4,096 rigs.

Coming from someone who appears to make part of their living in the modeling world, this would seem like biting the hand that feeds you. It seems there would be a better understanding of the advantages of having more preset slots. Why would I want to create identical presets with different cabs if I can't store and organize them on the unit?

Personally, I found the relatively limited number of presets slots in the FX8 to be quite limiting when it comes to organizing and storing presets. The number of preset slots in the III is appealing since I've found the AX8 to be much more useful in the storing and organizing of presets.

It follows a common multiple. Binary, of 2. 1 2 4 8 16 32 64 128 256 512. 1024 will be next lol.

Why should that be the criterium for the number of presets?

What would be another reason to need 4,000+ rigs in a practical sense?

To be perfectly blunt, this is simply ridiculous. Why do members feel the need to understand or "wrap (their) head around" the way someone else chooses to use a product or feature? No one has remotely indicated they need "instant recall" of 512 presets or 4,096 rigs.

Coming from someone who appears to make part of their living in the modeling world, this would seem like biting the hand that feeds you. It seems there would be a better understanding of the advantages of having more preset slots. Why would I want to create identical presets with different cabs if I can't store and organize them on the unit?

Personally, I found the relatively limited number of presets slots in the FX8 to be quite limiting when it comes to organizing and storing presets. The number of preset slots in the III is appealing since I've found the AX8 to be much more useful in the storing and organizing of presets.

The FX8 does not have remotely the same power with the presets in terms of power as as the Axe-FX III. I can see the need for having more preset slots in the II, AX-8, & FX-8 due to the architecture and lack of the channels functionality.

I am not opposed to having more presets in the III, but you have given me some food for thought for sure with your viewpoint of more presets and that is a good thing. I thank you for this.

With the II, I have to end up clearing out the preset and user cab memory quite often because I run out of slots with just 50 user cabs, especially because ir files are my living and I constantly am creating new cab packs with new presets that I create.

I might add the XL came out within 60 days of purchasing the Ii Mark II. Considering how much time itis taking me to save up the cash for the III, I wonder if I will be hitting that time again that I get one and 2 months later a surprise III XL launches, making me chase my tail again.

When I get my III when I raise enough cash, I am eager to see how quickly I hit the 512 limit and need to cycle from my computer based library back and forth into the unit. Obviously I don't want to experience a repetition of past history in that regard.

I needed to understand this so that I can serve the community's needs better in the future .

You make a good point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom