Why 512 Presets?

4,096 fully configurable and recallable rigs. That's what the Axe-Fx 3 is working with.

Consider that in every patch, you have have up to 8 different amp channels, 16 different drives, 8 cab mixes of up to 4 cabs each, 8 different reverbs, and up to 16 different delays. Also, each, patch has 8 scenes available.

So in reality, it's more like 512 patches x 8 scenes, because each scene can have its own totally unique drive, amp, cab, reverb, 2 delay blocks, and however many other effects available. So while there are technically 512 patches, there are actually up to 4,096 potentially uniquely configurable rigs to work with. This is enough for 15 different instances of each of the 259 available amp models right now, with 26 and a half untouched patches left over after that, just to figure up the amp blocks.

I'd bet that if you never deleted a single thing, but just moved on to the next available scene for every rig you were to ever build during the entire life of the product (which you realistically could do with the right patch template), you'd still have plenty of room to spare by the time the Axe-Fx 4 comes out.

Last edited:
Consider that in every patch, you have have up to 8 different amp channels, 8 different drives, 8 cab mixes of up to 4 cabs each, 8 different reverbs, and up to 16 different delays. Also, each, patch has 8 scenes available.

So in reality, it's more like 512 x 8. So while there are technically 512 patches, there are actually up to 4,096 fully recallable rigs to work with. That's a whole dang lot.

No doubt. Without knowing more and seeing how it all comes together it seems that the limitation will be with 8 scenes available. More scenes could become a wish list item very quickly.

I am not complaining about too many presets.
I am complaining about people complaining that there are too little presets.
I am saying that there is more than enough.
Ok.. I didn't see anyone complaining about the number of presets, rather the number of preset slots... So I misunderstood your post ;)

I use about 15 presets for my current bands' set of ~45 songs, which has worked great for me. I'll probably stay w/ a similar config, because I don't really need to over-confuse things by trying to have too many "songs" in one preset. Yea, the 8 Scenes may become the limiting factor, even though I never use more than 4 now.

I love mega-presets for jamming situations (I really missed them when I first switched from the AFXII to the AX8) but not so much when I have defined patches and setups for specific songs.

I'm Good with 512 patches. I have like 60 "user patches" in my XL's But rarely move around between more than 3.
I love my XL's Can't wait for the Xtra power in the 3!

So is the layout 4 banks of 0-127 A,B,C,D? Other question is what comes loaded as factory presets, will that be 3 banks or 2 banks doubled up?

I can see someone who is very active with recording tracks wanting to create a preset for each song that they record so they could go back months or years later and find the exact tone(s) that were used. It sounds nuts but if you did a few songs a week you could end up at the limit in a few years. However you should be able to offload presets to your PC and recall them that way.

The blocks have multiple channels, so yes, you can have multiple, completely different rigs in one preset.

Rex, can the settings be different for amp channels in each scene?

So can you have for example:

Scene 1: amp channel A with gain 5, bass 3, mid 5, treble 6

Scene 2: amp channel A with gain 10, bass 6, mid 8, treble

Etc

Absolutely. You can set that amp to different gain levels in each channel, for example.

Well... You could with scene controllers, right?
Some things yes some things no. If the knob you is capable of automating you can. I was doing a few things in my amp blocks, but with 4 channels per preset i probably won't need to any more.

Some things yes some things no. If the knob you is capable of automating you can. I was doing a few things in my amp blocks, but with 4 channels per preset i probably won't need to any more.
Well, Cliff did say that practically everything can have a modifier attached now... :)

And I agree about the channels... But the question was specifically about having different settings in the same channel.

Well, Cliff did say that practically everything can have a modifier attached now... :)

And I agree about the channels... But the question was specifically about having different settings in the same channel.
Interesting news. I know people have requested that, but didn't know he added that to the III. Seems that I read there may be more scene controllers too, but not sure on that. With the Afx II I liked to use a scene controller to turn up the master volume for solos, as I liked the tone alteration it gave for solos. A little more compression and thicker mids with most of the amps I use. I could see attaching the tone controls as well to fine-tune the change in tone that I like from heavy rhythm to hi-gain lead.

Then again, now that X/Y is expanded to 4 channels, that's probably easier to program it with the channels.

Back
Top Bottom