Why 512 Presets?

EricP1954

Experienced
I was just curious what the thinking was behind rolling out the III with 512 presets?

I do understand that there is a wonderful improvement of headroom for those presets in the III over the previous generations of Axe Fx products, but why only 512 presets? The II XL+ already has 768 preset slots.

I remember when a firmware rollout increased the number of cab slots from 768 to 1024, is something like that possible in a future Axe Fx III firmware version with respect to increasing the number of preset slots?

I was also curious about that... I was wondering if that meant 512 factory presets rather than 512 preset slots?

In any case, it's more than enough for me. I don't use any of the Axe Fx factory presets, so they could be replaced or removed.

From the release blurb:

"The Axe-Fx III stores a whopping 512 presets, each one equivalent to an entire rig, whether as simple as just an amp, or as complex as a massive pedal-board and multi-amp rack system."

I suspect with the expanded channels feature, we won't need as many presets.

Danny W.

Most likely it's a matter of how much memory they have reserved for the design. More presets have always been asked for. Who knows, maybe later on their will be more space allocated to have more.

I might be talking out of my ass here but I could have sworn I saw something where one preset actually can store four channels so you could have a Fender, Marshall, Mesa, ENGL, in one preset. I might be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.

I might be talking out of my ass here but I could have sworn I saw something where one preset actually can store four channels so you could have a Fender, Marshall, Mesa, ENGL, in one preset. I might be wrong but I thought I read that somewhere.
The blocks have multiple channels, so yes, you can have multiple, completely different rigs in one preset.

With the 4 channels, if you think about it- you're basically getting the same storage as if you had 2048 presets on the Axe-FX II if I understand correctly.

With the 4 channels, if you think about it- you're basically getting the same storage as if you had 2048 presets on the Axe-FX II if I understand correctly.
You don't...

The channels are per block, not preset. And the number of channels is not 4 for all blocks.

I hardly use all of the first core amps in Bank A in my XL.
I couldn't tell you what is in Bank B and C really.

I was just curious what the thinking was behind rolling out the III with 512 presets?

I do understand that there is a wonderful improvement of headroom for those presets in the III over the previous generations of Axe Fx products, but why only 512 presets? The II XL+ already has 768 preset slots.

I remember when a firmware rollout increased the number of cab slots from 768 to 1024, is something like that possible in a future Axe Fx III firmware version with respect to increasing the number of preset slots?
Will definitely get me to start arranging my songs with scenes and channels instead of multiple presets and just scene1/2 which for me has been my old school way of going about it.

With the named scenes, channels on the blocks and the extra headroom for all things you can put in a preset, I'm betting 512 is going to feel like an open field of space for the vast majority of users.

With the named scenes, channels on the blocks and the extra headroom for all things you can put in a preset, I'm betting 512 is going to feel like an open field of space for the vast majority of users.
Are you able to name blocks? I was rereading the Axe Fx III product page and noticed in the Axe Edit screen shot it says "Long Block Name" under the Amp 1 image in the lower left.

Who needs 512 Presets. ???????. I am fine with 20 ;-)

Back
Top Bottom